Jen581791

Changing bra sizes as the pounds drop

49 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

Thanks @Jen581791 but this time I'm just going to go to a lingerie place and pay for a proper fitting....don't know about elsewhere, but in Australia most places charge for fitting...the charge gets deducted from any purchase. They're trying to stop people getting a fitting then buying online instead of instore. My girls are the only small bit of me. I grew up listening to my meaner older sisters berating me with the line "what do you want, a medal or a chest to pin it on". They're swimming in a B cup at the moment....really embarrassing to be honest but I suspect much of that feeling is a throw back to my older, and very well endowed, sisters' teasing.

Hmm, that's an interesting way to get people to not get fitted in store and then buy online! Clever!

Sorry about your sisters - siblings can be merciless and they know just where to aim to achieve the greatest impact. Just get your girls looking their best in a nice bra, then, and remember that living well is the best revenge  B)

NerdyLady likes this

17 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

Hmm, that's an interesting way to get people to not get fitted in store and then buy online! Clever!

Sorry about your sisters - siblings can be merciless and they know just where to aim to achieve the greatest impact. Just get your girls looking their best in a nice bra, then, and remember that living well is the best revenge  B)

Actually the best revenge was wearing shoestring strap dresses without any bulky bra straps showing on our exceedingly hot summer days. :) They couldn't get away without wearing a bra.

Not that I could anymore. The lose skin under my arms these days is worse than what's left of the sagging little girls, :(

NerdyLady and Jen581791 like this

Posted (edited)

On 6/24/2017 at 2:22 PM, Jen581791 said:

I've actually been thinking about this a lot lately because over the past couple of weeks I've found that my old ones are not fitting me correctly.  Now they've been donated, and my solution for the moment is to go with a really stretchy space-age material sports bra like kind of thing that does happen to just barely fit me.  I think it's stretchy enough that it'll fit for the next few months, but I will need to buy some good ones that are actually fit to the right size and with underwires and stuff then. I'm about a 34G or H right now, which isn't supposed to fit into this brand, but it does. The brand is Knixwear. Not for long term or for everyone, but it's a stopgap for the moment. 

Y'all!!!

@Jen581791 is a lifesaver. About ten days ago, I went to a kid's birthday party and I did some sort of silly dance. My breasts yelled at me because they were jumping around, fairly unsupported. OWWWW. I bought a Knixwear bra based on Jen's recommendation and it arrived a few days ago. 

This bra is magic. It feels like I'm not wearing anything at all. This will last me the summer for sure, as it is a general size and not an actual cup size. I got the "padded" style because my boobs are a mess after nursing. The pads are basically thin shields that prevent your nipples from sticking out and are helpful.  I am a 40DD, with very broad shoulders/rib cage and I bought the largest size. I get the impression that a woman with Larger body mass than me could wear the largest size too. Jen was kind enough to give me a referral code and I got a discount! 

This isn't a shaping bra by any means but I am pleasantly surprised with how well my breasts look in this garment. My boobs have become droopy and in the Knixwear bra, they look pretty nice.  

I might have to get another bra because I never want to take this one off. :)

Edited by NerdyLady
Typo
Trish1967 and Jen581791 like this

On 6/24/2017 at 9:35 AM, NerdyLady said:

I hate to make this about money, but I'm going to take it about money. :lol::D I'd like breast having people to give me their thoughts.

When is the right time to get a good quality bra? I'm trying to be budget conscious but I'm also concerned about my breast health. As we all know, a good bra can be pretty expensive. I'm a bit wary of spending a lot of money on a bra when it may not fit in a month or two. However, I want to feel better about my body. Have any of you thought about this? if so, can you give me some feedback?

Yesterday (July 6, 2017) Kohls online had a few bras for $10. The brands were well known normally priced at $40. All sizes were not available but I lucked out and got 2.

Trish1967, NerdyLady and Jen581791 like this

@Jen581791...just thought you'd like to know...lol...I measured myself for the first time yesterday. I've lost 6" from my bust!! Aahhh!!!!! I guess your guide is going to be necessary a lot sooner than I thought, lmao :D Thanks for putting all of that hard work and research into this for us!!! :wub:

11 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

@Jen581791...just thought you'd like to know...lol...I measured myself for the first time yesterday. I've lost 6" from my bust!! Aahhh!!!!! I guess your guide is going to be necessary a lot sooner than I thought, lmao :D Thanks for putting all of that hard work and research into this for us!!! :wub:

That's so great! (Well, minus 6" in the bust for ME is great, I know that's not the case for everyone, but...) Let me know how the super complicated 5 measurements system goes when it's time to shop - I'm curious to see if it works. 

I ran into a few old bras in the storage unit the other day. Several were too big, but a couple work OK for the moment. They're from before I discovered how wrong I had been about my size all these years, so the band size is WAY too big but the cups are OK for now. Judging from that, I've gone down several cup and band sizes, which puts me at about the same letter, but probably 3 band sizes down, which is a lot smaller (thank goodness!). My shoulders and upper back will be thanking me.

NerdyLady likes this

Posted (edited)

58 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

That's so great! (Well, minus 6" in the bust for ME is great, I know that's not the case for everyone, but...) Let me know how the super complicated 5 measurements system goes when it's time to shop - I'm curious to see if it works. 

Oh trust me...it's a great thing!!! I will definitely let you know when the time comes, lol. I'm gonna hold off for a bit, because I paid $50 for this bra, and the cups still fit, so I'll deal with it being loose for a bit :) I bought my current bra before I even started my pre op diet, and it was way too tight. Then as I lost some weight, it fit just about perfect, and now it's loose. I lost 2" in the band size too, so happy dance time!!! None of my old bras will work unfortunately, so I'm down to one for now (hand washing and hanging it every night, ugh, lol)

oh and my back and shoulders...definitely thanking me!! It's so nice to take the bra off, and not have deep craters in my shoulders and still look like I'm wearing it!! Hahaha!!!

Edited by Trish1967
Jen581791 and NerdyLady like this

1 hour ago, Trish1967 said:

Oh trust me...it's a great thing!!! I will definitely let you know when the time comes, lol. I'm gonna hold off for a bit, because I paid $50 for this bra, and the cups still fit, so I'll deal with it being loose for a bit :) I bought my current bra before I even started my pre op diet, and it was way too tight. Then as I lost some weight, it fit just about perfect, and now it's loose. I lost 2" in the band size too, so happy dance time!!! None of my old bras will work unfortunately, so I'm down to one for now (hand washing and hanging it every night, ugh, lol)

oh and my back and shoulders...definitely thanking me!! It's so nice to take the bra off, and not have deep craters in my shoulders and still look like I'm wearing it!! Hahaha!!!

As best I can remember, I was wearing a 44D granny bra - now they rattle around in a 32 but they're long and mostly just skin so I wear a sports bra to keep them somewhat in place on my chest!  :lol:

Trish1967 and Cheesehead like this

21 minutes ago, cinwa said:

As best I can remember, I was wearing a 44D granny bra - now they rattle around in a 32 but they're long and mostly just skin so I wear a sports bra to keep them somewhat in place on my chest!  :lol:

I'm in a 46H right now...ugh...and yeah, it's pretty much a granny bra too, lol. They don't have a large assortment of "feminine" bras in my size. I think I'm gonna have to get a sports bra at some point too. My girls were already giving into gravity before my WLS, so I can only imagine the disaster I'm in for in the near future!! :lol:B)

NerdyLady likes this

This is AMAZING! omg, I've lost another 15 pounds in the last 3 months and I haven't bought bras in 6, I took like 6 into the fitting room at Walmart to try on that were a size down from what ive been wearing and NONE FIT! I went back out and exchanged them for the size I was already wearing and they didn't fit either! I was so frustrated! I'm going again next week and I'm gonna go by this guide :) excellent.

1 hour ago, michelleann31 said:

This is AMAZING! omg, I've lost another 15 pounds in the last 3 months and I haven't bought bras in 6, I took like 6 into the fitting room at Walmart to try on that were a size down from what ive been wearing and NONE FIT! I went back out and exchanged them for the size I was already wearing and they didn't fit either! I was so frustrated! I'm going again next week and I'm gonna go by this guide :) excellent.

Just be aware that the fat tissue in your boobs is tissue that continually redistributes. I can experience a week or two where there seems to be nothing there, then all of a sudden the cups runeth over again for a couple of weeks....then back to empty vessels again.....the cycle continues. If you can get away with the cheap stretchy bras then they're likely to be your best bet until your weight settles. I'm definitely finding that dressing the girls is the most frustrating part of this whole journey so far.

Jen581791 and michelleann31 like this

21 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

Just be aware that the fat tissue in your boobs is tissue that continually redistributes. I can experience a week or two where there seems to be nothing there, then all of a sudden the cups runeth over again for a couple of weeks....then back to empty vessels again.....the cycle continues. If you can get away with the cheap stretchy bras then they're likely to be your best bet until your weight settles. I'm definitely finding that dressing the girls is the most frustrating part of this whole journey so far.

Yes girl yes! I know exactly what you mean!

4 hours ago, Aussie H said:

Just be aware that the fat tissue in your boobs is tissue that continually redistributes. I can experience a week or two where there seems to be nothing there, then all of a sudden the cups runeth over again for a couple of weeks....then back to empty vessels again.....the cycle continues. If you can get away with the cheap siciktretchy bras then they're likely to be your best bet until your weight settles. I'm definitely finding that dres  sing the girls is the most frustrating part of this whole josurney son far.

I've been wearing sports bras as often as I can. My breasts have been difficult to support. Some days they are sad little bags of sand and other days they are sad medium bags of sand. 

Pumping breast milk+ WLS in less than 2 years has not been kind to my breasts. Blerg. 

michelleann31 likes this

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

I've been wearing sports bras as often as I can. My breasts have been difficult to support. Some days they are sad little bags of sand and other days they are sad medium bags of sand. 

Pumping breast milk+ WLS in less than 2 years has not been kind to my breasts. Blerg. 

Yeah they are the most comfortable for me too, even as a teenager before I was overweight I had big boobs thanks to my Grandmother, then 2 breast fed babies 2 years apart then the rapid weight gain from medication then loosing the weight after my WLS hasn't been kind to them! Some days they look decently full other days it looks like all the tissue is all the way at the bottom of my breasts :( I'm starting with a Panni here pretty soon but pretty sure a breast lift is in my future too

Edited by michelleann31
Jen581791 likes this

Ladies,

You might want to take a peek at the Brastop website. The site specializes in D+ bras and is affordable. Yes, some of the items are pricey but they are a fraction of the cost of a brick and mortar store. The following link is to the US store  I'm too sleepy to try and find a multi-nation site  https://us.brastop.com/

Im currently looking for a sports from that will support and F-I-T. It seems like every week I lose more of my breasts. I wear bras with huge gaps in the cups. Time to remeasure myself. 

Jen581791 likes this

5 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

Time to remeasure myself. 

I hear ya! I'm cruising along on a couple of old ones that I hand altered to make the band smaller, so no clue as to what size they might be. One of the knixwear  ones is stil working but the other one has too big a band. More altering? Figuring out how to have stuff delivered to me? Not sure but need to visit Reddit A Bra That Fits and do some measuring. 

NerdyLady likes this

5 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I hear ya! I'm cruising along on a couple of old ones that I hand altered to make the band smaller, so no clue as to what size they might be. One of the knixwear  ones is stil working but the other one has too big a band. More altering? Figuring out how to have stuff delivered to me? Not sure but need to visit Reddit A Bra That Fits and do some measuring. 

I tried to get a few more uses out of my knixwear bra but the band has become too large. I really like the bra and it served me well for a few months. I have a feeling that my breasts are going to get smaller. When I was younger, I wore a 38 A or B. The way things are going, it looks like I might be back to where I started. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I've developed the delightful groove on my shoulders from my bras. I'm hoping they will go away. 

Next week, im hoping to visit a bra store that has an excellent reputation. This is no Victoria's Secret. This store is staffed Russian ladies who take their work SERIOUSLY. They not only measure you, but they suggest bras for you based on the shape of your breasts. This is no place for modesty! 

I hope you manage to get things shipped to you. Give Brastop a look. They may be able to deliver to you. 

xo

CurvyMermaid and Jen581791 like this

52 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

This store is staffed Russian ladies who take their work SERIOUSLY. 

I love the visual of some stern, serious Russian ladies putting your boobs through their paces, trying to figure out your ideal size and brand. I could live with that. Some 32A twentysomething at Victoria's Secret, no thanks. 

My shoulder ruts are going away. Sooooo great. I hate those.

Aussie H, NerdyLady and TammyP like this

I feel like my boobs and belly are in a race to see who can get smaller first. I passed a mirror the other day and it looks like my belly may finally be smaller than my boobs - but not by much! And not when seated. Le sigh. I miss you, boobs from the bigger me.

Jen581791 likes this

@CurvyMermaid As i gained weight, my breasts grew larger. I was thankful when my size increased because I was ashamed that my belly had been bigger than my breasts. My belly is much smaller and now my boobs are floppy. Oh well! :lol: 

CurvyMermaid likes this

Today, I went to the serious business bra store to get fitted. This store caters to mastectomy patients and when I told the saleswomen that I had gastric bypass, i didn't need to explain any further. 

My new size is 40C. Oof. I can't lie, the size hurt my feelings. I know it's dumb to obsess over this size. I have a large ribcage and it makes sense that I would be larger on top. Part of me wanted to scream "ARE YOU F ING KIDDING ME???? I JUST LOST SEVENTY POUNDS!!!" Alas, I meekly said thank you and tried on the bras that were given to me by a stern Russian woman. 

Just in case you are wondering, bras that come in a weird size like 40 C are not cute. They are Black and Tan. SRW (stern Russian woman) adjusted the straps and fixed the hook in the back, she told me to put my shirt back on. *gasp* Y'all! My breasts looked high and perky. I was well supported and the cups didn't pucker. I am happy with my experience and am getting used to my new bra size. :D

Breast having people, follow Jen's advice and measure yourself or get fitted. Having a supportive bra is an important part of breast health  

Pre op: 44DD

Six months post op: 40C

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

Today, I went to the serious business bra store to get fitted. This store caters to mastectomy patients and when I told the saleswomen that I had gastric bypass, i didn't need to explain any further. 

My new size is 40C. Oof. I can't lie, the size hurt my feelings. I know it's dumb to obsess over this size. I have a large ribcage and it makes sense that I would be larger on top. Part of me wanted to scream "ARE YOU F ING KIDDING ME???? I JUST LOST SEVENTY POUNDS!!!" Alas, I meekly said thank you and tried on the bras that were given to me by a stern Russian woman. 

Just in case you are wondering, bras that come in a weird size like 40 C are not cute. They are Black and Tan. SRW (stern Russian woman) adjusted the straps and fixed the hook in the back, she told me to put my shirt back on. *gasp* Y'all! My breasts looked high and perky. I was well supported and the cups didn't pucker. I am happy with my experience and am getting used to my new bra size. :D

Breast having people, follow Jen's advice and measure yourself or get fitted. Having a supportive bra is an important part of breast health  

Pre op: 44DD

Six months post op: 40C

Reddit's A Bra That Fits community has a lot of resources for finding the right size bra after you've measured yourself with their system (or had a GOOD professional fitting done). Here's one - it's a list of places you can get bras online in many different countries. 40C is well represented in many online brands, not in just beige, either :) The Reddit A Bra That Fits group will also help you find the right brand for your particular shape, whatever that may be after losing 5 gajillion pounds :D 

http://bustyresources.wikia.com/wiki/Online_retailer

Find something pretty! We deserve it!

Edited by Jen581791
Me talk pretty one day
NerdyLady likes this

5 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Reddit's A Bra That Fits community has a lot of resources for finding the right size bra after you've measured yourself with their system (or had a GOOD professional fitting done). Here's one - it's a list of places you can get bras online in many different countries. 40C is well represented in many online brands, not in just beige, either :) The Reddit A Bra That Fits group will also help you find the right brand for your particular shape, whatever that may be after losing 5 gajillion pounds :D 

http://bustyresources.wikia.com/wiki/Online_retailer

Find something pretty! We deserve it!

1. I puffy heart David Sedaris. There is a memorial to his sister a few blocks from my home. I'll send you a picture. 

2. Can I ask you to write up a syllabus for your class called "Lynda 532: How to live your best life". I'll be eagerly waiting for my class materials. 

Seriously, thanks for the advice. 

Jen581791 likes this

Y'all, finding a sports bra that fits is truly awful. None of the bras at the fancy industrial strength bra store fit. I think I have tried and returned every bra on Amazon. I even went to Target and tried on bras today. No dice. 

This is depressing. My issue with sports bras is the amount of loose skin that pours out the sides of the bra. It's almost like I have two B cup breasts that pour into my armpits. I keep stuffing the skin into the sports bras. If I get a large or 40C, the bra is too small. If I get an XL or 40/38 D, the bra doesn't offer the support I need. The loose skin drives me nuts and needs support. 

I have scoured the internet for suggestions. I'm frustrated and I know that y'all can relate to loose skin woes. I've been measured by professionals I trust, so finding the right size isn't my concern. Any suggestions on how to tame upper body loose skin? Any good sports bra recommendations?

Edited by NerdyLady