Jen581791

Changing bra sizes as the pounds drop

As the weight drops off, the girls are changing in size, and this makes getting new bras a priority. Before you go bra shopping, here are some bra facts that you may wish to consider:

• Most women wear the wrong size bra their whole lives
  • US bra sizing is totally non-standard, so it's basically meaningless (UK sizes are more meaningful as they're based on measurements)
  • We're trained to think in terms of A-D (maybe DD, or gasp a DDD if it's a big store and you're looking at plus sized bands) if we have always shopped in department stores and Victoria's Secret type stores, but many many many women do not fall into that range, even if their boobs don't seem particularly big. 
  • If your bra isn't comfortable, you're probably wearing the wrong size and it's making you miserable
  • Even if you've been fitted at a store, you may still be wearing the wrong size - most stores want to fit you into a bra they actually carry

I wore the wrong size bra until I was 41 and I found a website that normalized the idea of having cup sizes larger than D. I needed new bras and I knew that DDs at the department store just weren't comfortable. I assumed I was some sort of freak of nature (while still knowing in the back of my head that I saw women all day long that had bigger boobs than me). My normal strategy had always been to just find the bra with the biggest cup size available in the band size I incorrectly thought was my size. Rachel at http://www.bigbustsupport.com/ steered me in the right direction. (She's got tons of bra reviews and other information.) I used the bra size calculator from the Reddit ABraThatFits community to calculate my size and I almost fainted. I honestly didn't know letter sizes went that high. I went through the seven stages of grief and then finally accepted that this might be the correct size. I ordered online (from Wacoal - they have a good selection, but there are lots of other sites) and received three bras in the mail. 

Have you ever gone into a changing room with three bras and come out with all three and a smile on your face? If not, you may be wearing the wrong size. All three fit perfectly. My clothes looked better. My back felt better. I didn't need to adjust the girls every time I bent over. They didn't move around. The wires didn't poke me. The straps didn't cut into my shoulders. I just ran around being happy for a few days. It was like I had discovered the answer to one of life's great mysteries.

Now I've had WLS. They do not fit anymore. Boo! This is both good and bad. Good because I'm losing weight and because I get to buy some new bras. Bad because my bras don't work anymore and I need to shell out for some more that might not fit in a few months.

I've gone back to the calculator and, lo and behold, I've gone down 4 inches in band size, but the cup size letter stayed the same. WHAT??? This does not worry me because I have learned how cup sizes work: a 36D and a 34D are not the same size cup. A 36D has the same cup volume as a 34DD (these are not my sizes - I wish!). Go down a band size, go up a cup size to get the same volume. These are called sister sizes. The top row of the chart below illustrates. 

Anyway, I started doing some online shopping and I got to thinking that all my bra size research might come in handy for a certain group of women I know who are changing bra sizes very quickly. So, I highly encourage you to use the bra size calculator from the Reddit community and to look around there for information on how to fine tune your size and find good deals online for bras that actually fit. When your jaw drops at how crazy your size sounds, remember to have faith in the calculator. It's the bra industry that's messed up, not you. Size is just a number and a letter. A bra that fits makes life better. 

Hhwoarq.jpg

Edited by Jen581791

Thank you for this!!!

2 hours ago, Clickin said:

Thank you for this!!!

I did a bunch of research, I figured I should share it :) The comments in the Reddit sub are funny - hundreds of women in shock that they wear the wrong size bra!

My size seems to change from day to day. One day I don't come close to filling the cup, the next I'm almost bursting out of it. Seems my changing weight distribution happens most apparently in my girls. Makes it impossible to get a bra that will do me everyday, so for now I'm just not bothering to try for a good fit. Fortunately I'm not well endowed there....and never have been. Consequently I can usually get away with the cheap and nasty "buy your t-shirt size" no wires, no support jobs. It's winter here so lots of layers hide many sins. Come summer though I'll go and get a proper fitting, by then I should be at a maintenance weight.

7 hours ago, Aussie H said:

My size seems to change from day to day. One day I don't come close to filling the cup, the next I'm almost bursting out of it. Seems my changing weight distribution happens most apparently in my girls. Makes it impossible to get a bra that will do me everyday, so for now I'm just not bothering to try for a good fit. Fortunately I'm not well endowed there....and never have been. Consequently I can usually get away with the cheap and nasty "buy your t-shirt size" no wires, no support jobs. It's winter here so lots of layers hide many sins. Come summer though I'll go and get a proper fitting, by then I should be at a maintenance weight.

Aussie, you have the excellent luck to be in a country that uses the UK sizing system, too! Best of luck figuring things out until your size stabilizes - I'm having issues with that, too, but can't get away with the cheap ones :( Funny to be looking at maintenance just being a couple of seasons away... wow, who'd have thought? Amazing.

Just had a bra fitting yesterday!! The only way to go.  Find a store near you that does this OR do it yourself with a trusted friend/family member.

Down 3 sizes, BUT cup size is larger which validates your research (at least in my case), And if it's not "snug" it doesn't fit. Bras shouldn't move or have to be tugged, readjusted, whatever.

I needed a strapless bra cause I can wear much more stylish tops.  Wore it for 5 1/2 hours last night. Even with it fitting properly, it's uncomfortable after 3 hours. I looked great but couldn't wait to get it off, hahahaha. That why women in Hollywood "tape" the girls. But my blouse, and my shape, looked great (if I do say so myself).  But to each her own,  many women chose not to wear them, or any bra, and that's ok too.

As I get slimmer, I will try the taping or sticky bras my millennial step-daughter and her friends use. That ought to be worth a chuckle or 2:)

10 minutes ago, annegirl said:

Just had a bra fitting yesterday!! The only way to go.  Find a store near you that does this OR do it yourself with a trusted friend/family member.

Down 3 sizes, BUT cup size is larger which validates your research (at least in my case), And if it's not "snug" it doesn't fit. Bras shouldn't move or have to be tugged, readjusted, whatever.

I needed a strapless bra cause I can wear much more stylish tops.  Wore it for 5 1/2 hours last night. Even with it fitting properly, it's uncomfortable after 3 hours. I looked great but couldn't wait to get it off, hahahaha. That why women in Hollywood "tape" the girls. But my blouse, and my shape, looked great (if I do say so myself).  But to each her own,  many women chose not to wear them, or any bra, and that's ok too.

As I get slimmer, I will try the taping or sticky bras my millennial step-daughter and her friends use. That ought to be worth a chuckle or 2:)

Glad the research holds up. Strapless, wow! Not sure that's in the cards for me, let alone the stickies... but glad you looked great in your blouse :) 

Just now, Jen581791 said:

Glad the research holds up. Strapless, wow! Not sure that's in the cards for me, let alone the stickies... but glad you looked great in your blouse :) 

How do you add the ticker to the screen??

Thanks

anne

1 minute ago, annegirl said:

Thanks

anne

@cinwa has a tutorial. Basically, choose your ticker website, choose and set up your ticker, bookmark it so you can update it later, copy its code, and paste it into the signature area in your account settings (not profile). It takes a few minutes to update it so don't panic when you don't see it right away.

It's motivating to see that little ticker move along!

19 minutes ago, annegirl said:

Thanks

anne

weight.png

This is a great topic. Years ago, I was fitted at Intimacy, a bra shop that mostly sold European bras. I don't remember what size I wore, but like Jen said, my cup size was huge. Unfortunately, this shop was $$$ and has now changed names. However, once you know your size, there are plenty of UK websites who sell bras at a lower price and will ship to the USA for free. Thanks Jen for writing this post.

Is there any way we can pin this to the board? Breast health is an important topic that I think many women (including myself) neglect. Proper bust support is necessary as our bodies change. 

Edited by NerdyLady
typo

3 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

Is there any way we can pin this to the board? Breast health is an important topic that I think many women (including myself) neglect. Proper bust support is necessary as our bodies change. 

Done!

Just now, cinwa said:

Done!

• You rock!
  • On a side note, you and Jen are making me want to go back to WA for a visit. It's so beautiful up there!

Thanks! :D 

Finally finding the right size made my life so much better that I feel like I should go around knocking on people's doors, showering women with bra knowledge as a public service! Maybe getting a post pinned is enough for the moment... 

9 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Thanks! :D 

Finally finding the right size made my life so much better that I feel like I should go around knocking on people's doors, showering women with bra knowledge as a public service! Maybe getting a post pinned is enough for the moment... 

@Jen581791 Have you heard the Good News? I'm here to share a message of proper bust support....

1 hour ago, NerdyLady said:

@Jen581791 Have you heard the Good News? I'm here to share a message of proper bust support....

:lol::lol::lol:

Amen to all of the above. I always had the dreaded double boob on each side from my cup size not being large enough. I was always frustrated because I was wearing DDD and that tends to be the highest you can find, I didn't even know better until I heard about panache bras for sports (still my favorite exercise bra EVER). Put my sizes in there....excuse me? H cup? A band size nearly 4 inches smaller than what I'd been wearing? I just gaped at my screen. 

But they were damn right. I can actually run in that sports bra, which has never happened to me before. Actual support is a wonderful thing!

I hate to make this about money, but I'm going to take it about money. :lol::D I'd like breast having people to give me their thoughts.

When is the right time to get a good quality bra? I'm trying to be budget conscious but I'm also concerned about my breast health. As we all know, a good bra can be pretty expensive. I'm a bit wary of spending a lot of money on a bra when it may not fit in a month or two. However, I want to feel better about my body. Have any of you thought about this? if so, can you give me some feedback?

1 hour ago, NerdyLady said:

I hate to make this about money, but I'm going to take it about money. :lol::D I'd like breast having people to give me their thoughts.

When is the right time to get a good quality bra? I'm trying to be budget conscious but I'm also concerned about my breast health. As we all know, a good bra can be pretty expensive. I'm a bit wary of spending a lot of money on a bra when it may not fit in a month or two. However, I want to feel better about my body. Have any of you thought about this? if so, can you give me some feedback?

I personally plan on waiting until I'm closer to goal to get a good, quality bra. I bought a brand new one about 6 weeks prior to surgery from an online company I have purchased from for years. I pay around $40-$50 for my bras. I have to order online because I wore a 46H. The one I just bought was too tight when it arrived, but now it's too loose. My hubby (God bless his soul) can, and has, altered my bras in the past...but it's usually to make them bigger, not smaller, lol. I'm hoping I can get by with this one for at least a couple more months before shelling out more $$ for a new one. I'll probably neglect the girls a bit through this process to save money. But once I'm at goal, they will get the royal treatment!! Hehehe :) Thats when @Jen581791's knowledge will be like winning the boob lottery for me!!! :lol:

@delilas, this is the first time in about 25 years that I DON'T have the dreaded double boob thing going on...lol. 

6 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

Have any of you thought about this?

I've actually been thinking about this a lot lately because over the past couple of weeks I've found that my old ones are not fitting me correctly.  Now they've been donated, and my solution for the moment is to go with a really stretchy space-age material sports bra like kind of thing that does happen to just barely fit me.  I think it's stretchy enough that it'll fit for the next few months, but I will need to buy some good ones that are actually fit to the right size and with underwires and stuff then. I'm about a 34G or H right now, which isn't supposed to fit into this brand, but it does. The brand is Knixwear. Not for long term or for everyone, but it's a stopgap for the moment. 

Edited by Jen581791

If things keep going the way they are now, I can get by with a training bra in a couple of months. :o

6 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

I've actually been thinking about this a lot lately because over the past couple of weeks I've found that my old ones are not fitting me correctly.  Now they've been donated, and my solution for the moment is to go with a really stretchy space-age material sports bra like kind of thing that does happen to just barely fit me.  I think it's stretchy enough that it'll fit for the next few months, but I will need to buy some good ones that are actually fit to the right size and with underwires and stuff then. I'm about a 34G or H right now, which isn't supposed to fit into this brand, but it does. The brand is Knixwear. Not for long term or for everyone, but it's a stopgap for the moment. 

Knixwear looks like an awesome option for summertime. I'm going to think about getting one. :)

On 2017-6-25 at 0:05 AM, NerdyLady said:

I'm actually at this point now. I've held off buying new ones....and I really need to go have a proper fitting just so I have one real bra. Most of the time I can get away with the cheapie (no real form t-shirt style bra) but there are times when I feel the need to wear a proper form-fitting bra. My girls are swimming freestyle in the pair I have now.

1 hour ago, Aussie H said:

I'm actually at this point now. I've held off buying new ones....and I really need to go have a proper fitting just so I have one real bra. Most of the time I can get away with the cheapie (no real form t-shirt style bra) but there are times when I feel the need to wear a proper form-fitting bra. My girls are swimming freestyle in the pair I have now.

I've got these knixwear things that are going to get me through mid-August, I think. They're comfortable, but they don't have the right silhouette for nice clothes. Then, I'll have to go to back to work and wear real clothes that require real bras. 

You can have a look at the this calculator to give yourself an idea before you shop - it's set up and run by people at ABraThatFits:  http://www.brasizecalculator.tk/   

Thanks @Jen581791 but this time I'm just going to go to a lingerie place and pay for a proper fitting....don't know about elsewhere, but in Australia most places charge for fitting...the charge gets deducted from any purchase. They're trying to stop people getting a fitting then buying online instead of instore. My girls are the only small bit of me. I grew up listening to my meaner older sisters berating me with the line "what do you want, a medal or a chest to pin it on". They're swimming in a B cup at the moment....really embarrassing to be honest but I suspect much of that feeling is a throw back to my older, and very well endowed, sisters' teasing.