I had gastric sleeve surgery in February of this year. I have had nothing but complications since the surgery (as some of you may know). I am now on TPN because of malnourishment. I can't physically eat or drink anything without being nauseated, throwing up or just having severe abdominal pain. I am currently awaiting an answer from insurance if they will cover a revision surgery. for anyone that has had revision surgery did you improve after the revision? what can I expect with a revision surgery? is there more pain than the first time around? I am very nervous and scared but am also out of options at this point. I really don't want to be on TPN for the rest of my life so I am really hoping insurance will cover this. Any insight on the revision process would be greatly appreciated.

:( My sympathies again, ktallon. I really hope the insurance works out for you and that you start to feel better soon!

You have been through so much, I can only imagine a revision will feel "easy" by comparison. Of course, I am no expert. Looking forward to some relief for you. Try searching "revision" here. I know someone recently posted about her happy experience.

10 hours ago, ktallon said:

I had gastric sleeve surgery in February of this year. I have had nothing but complications since the surgery (as some of you may know). I am now on TPN because of malnourishment. I can't physically eat or drink anything without being nauseated, throwing up or just having severe abdominal pain. I am currently awaiting an answer from insurance if they will cover a revision surgery. for anyone that has had revision surgery did you improve after the revision? what can I expect with a revision surgery? is there more pain than the first time around? I am very nervous and scared but am also out of options at this point. I really don't want to be on TPN for the rest of my life so I am really hoping insurance will cover this. Any insight on the revision process would be greatly appreciated.

I had a revisional surgery 5 weeks ago. It did resolve my issues and was by far an easier recovery than I had from my original surgery. That said my first surgery was over 30 years ago and was an open procedure back in the days when any WLS was considered a barbaric (as opposed to bariatric) surgery. We are all different, how we cope with pain is different, the skills of our surgeons vary, particularly their skills in revisional surgery. Comparing ourselves and our surgical experience is pointless given these differences. Everything I read prior to surgery, along with my surgeon's warnings, suggested that my revisional surgery would also be an open incision procedure. Thankfully the skills of my two surgeons, along with them not allowing time pressures to force them to switch to an open procedure, meant my surgery was all completed laproscopically. I'm told this is unusual, but my surgeon kept his schedule that day very light due to his expectation that my surgery would be a lot more complicated than his usual surgeries. All up I was in the OR for almost 4 hours with the head bariatric surgeon and his 2IC at that hospital both operating. I couldn't be happier with how my surgery went. Life already is so much better than what it was prior to my surgery.

kt, i'm so sorry to hear you're still having issues, esp to the point that you're on TPN. That just plain sucks. I don't have any info about revision, i just wanted to say I hope you get answers soon and you start feeling better.  hugs to you. xo

I just found out my doctor wants to convert my sleeve to a bypass as well. I too have been having nausea and vomiting non stop since my initial sleeve done last November. It's become so bad I'm unable to keep any meat or fish down and am nauseated even at trying to get my water intake in.

On 7/16/2017 at 2:24 PM, Snow said:

I just found out my doctor wants to convert my sleeve to a bypass as well. I too have been having nausea and vomiting non stop since my initial sleeve done last November. It's become so bad I'm unable to keep any meat or fish down and am nauseated even at trying to get my water intake in.

I hope that a revision to a gastric bypass brings to both you and ktallon the long term relief and health that you both so richly deserve. I have found life with a gastric bypass to be wonderful. 

We are here to support both of you.