I was cranky for a month!! I was sooo over the liquids and soft pureed foods. But it definitely got better for me once I was eating "real" food more. I still have shakes but I add frozen fruit now (without GI symptoms) and enjoy them so much more.

Hang in there. Tell people, sorry I'm cranky, let them help you. Watch comedy, laugh. get outside for fresh air. It helps (but I still was a big crab, at work especially) and I just apologized without excuses once I felt better.

weight.png

It helps so much to know it gets better, @annegirl!

I started purees today, and this is already sooo much easier. I made a yummy split pea and ham pureed soup. Delicious! And I actually feel full. It's a good feeling to have back. Nice having some fiber too. (TMI) It's great not having everything go right through me now also. No more crankiness. :D

My husband made amazing homemade refried beans. And I made Italian turkey chili. Looking forward to those.

Glad you are feeling better !

The liquid post-op diet can be tough - I missed not having something in my mouth other than fluids.  Congratulations Gretta - it sounds as if you're doing really well.

Thanks, @tracyringo and @cinwa!

Hello everyone! I just came home from the hospital yesterday after my gastric sleeve surgery. Last night was rough, I woke up at like 3:30 AM with horrible heartburn.   I took a Gas-X and walked around my room for about 15 minutes and also my pain meds.  I figure maybe this was exasperated by the fact that I was laying down in my bed, instead of propped up in the hospital bed.   The meds, Tylenol three,  really knock me on my butt LOL.  Right now I feel like I am in survival mode. Concentrating on 60g of protein,  fluids, multivitamin 2 times per day and calcium two times per day.  So it's an hour by hour thing for me right now. Appreciate your thoughts and prayers and thanks in advance for the encouragement!

2 minutes ago, TammyP said:

Hello everyone! I just came home from the hospital yesterday after my gastric sleeve surgery. Last night was rough, I woke up at like 3:30 AM with horrible heartburn.   I took a Gas-X and walked around my room for about 15 minutes and also my pain meds.  I figure maybe this was exasperated by the fact that I was laying down in my bed, instead of propped up in the hospital bed.   The meds, Tylenol three,  really knock me on my butt LOL.  Right now I feel like I am in survival mode. Concentrating on 60g of protein,  fluids, multivitamin 2 times per day and calcium two times per day.  So it's an hour by hour thing for me right now. Appreciate your thoughts and prayers and thanks in advance for the encouragement!

That is a lot to take in. I am not sure how your plan has it, but for me, it was 8 days after surgery that I started my vitamins, protein, etc.. the first week was just getting fluids in, and recovering. Regardless, good luck =) 

Welcome home, @TammyP! Sleeping propped up as much as possible really helps. Thankfully, I don't have to start calcium until 6 weeks after surgery. I take vitamins, heartburn, and gallbladder meds though.

The first 4 days were the hardest for me. The gas pain was the worst! I had some nausea, too. Take comfort in the fact that you really will be feeling better and more like yourself very soon. We're here for you!

Thanks ladies!  I will definitely sleep propped up from now on for a bit.  Looking forward to feeling less zombie-ish <3

@TammyP My thoughts and prayers are with you Tammy. I am still waiting for a surgery date but I think it will be soon. I live in Lubbock, and I am going to be following along with your journey!!

Thanks all <3  Last night was much better since I had myself propped up well in my bed.  I did not wake up with gas pain like the first night home thank goodness.  As far as the pain meds, I really do NOT like narcotics.  My surgeon prescribed Tylenol3 (codeine), which I really don't take unless its sleep time.  My other alternative has been liquid Tylenol childrens medicine.  My hubby talked to a pharmacist and got the dosage equivalent to the 15ml of Tylenol3, and I gotta say it helps without the "zombie-effect".  I have lost 3 pounds since yesterday.  Going forward, I will only weigh on Saturday mornings :)  And nice to meet you @Cadoddle !

Hows it going on purees, @Gretta? (Or have you advanced since then?) Keep up the awesome work :)

2 hours ago, delilas said:

Hows it going on purees, @Gretta? (Or have you advanced since then?) Keep up the awesome work :)

Sooo much better! I actually feel full. Having fiber again has all kinds of benefits ;). Life has flavor again. This whole thing just got a lot easier! Thanks for asking.

On 6/16/2017 at 2:48 PM, Gretta said:

Welcome home, @TammyP! Sleeping propped up as much as possible really helps. Thankfully, I don't have to start calcium until 6 weeks after surgery. I take vitamins, heartburn, and gallbladder meds though.

The first 4 days were the hardest for me. The gas pain was the worst! I had some nausea, too. Take comfort in the fact that you really will be feeling better and more like yourself very soon. We're here for you!

@Gretta how are you doing? Your post mentioned fiber but well you can have fiber even if you get to eat Le Gourmet Cow Dung. Are you still on full liquids (or did I miss your post announcing your diet advancement?)

Just now, BurgundyBoy said:

@Gretta how are you doing? Your post mentioned fiber but well you can have fiber even if you get to eat Le Gourmet Cow Dung. Are you still on full liquids (or did I miss your post announcing your diet advancement?)

Ha ha! Purees since last Friday. It has changed my life! I can totally do this. Fun secret about me: I teach 3 high-impact, hour-long step aerobics classes a week. I started back today and did great! Thanks for checking in!

10 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Ha ha! Purees since last Friday. It has changed my life! I can totally do this. Fun secret about me: I teach 3 high-impact, hour-long step aerobics classes a week. I started back today and did great! Thanks for checking in!

Whoa, no way! Sh$t. Aerobics is about the last thing most of us can manage on the Forum. You wear a suit that says Wonder Woman under your gym clothes?? 

10 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Whoa, no way! Sh$t. Aerobics is about the last thing most of us can manage on the Forum. You wear a suit that says Wonder Woman under your gym clothes?? 

You are too kind! I should look for such a suit. They should be available now.