Gretta

Starting to get cranky

43 posts in this topic

I'm only a week out, but I'm starting to get cranky. I weighed today and am down 10.4 pounds since surgery (41.6 since I decided to do this). Hooray! I have another week of the liquid diet to go. I think that's what is making me the most irritable. I am just so bored and tired of everything going right through me. I am hitting my protein and fluid numbers well. I'm averaging 350 calories a day. The other thing I'm sick of are the daily self-injections of blood thinners in my stomach. Two more if those to go! I'm allowed to start driving tomorrow. Hopefully getting out of the house more will cheer me up. Thanks for letting me vent. I'm sure things will get better in a week or so.

Wow! Amazing weight loss in just a week! You're doing so well. It's only going to get better from here on, so hang in there :)

Gretta likes this

Thank you, @Raddy

I think anyone would be irritable when they're on 350 calories a day! Totally understandable. 

I hope being able to get out of the house will help distract you during your last week of liquids. Pick some cool places to go and get your mind off it all :)

Gretta likes this

Thanks, @delilas. I could have more (liquid) calories, but I'm just not interested. Can't wait to feel like myself again instead of this cranky witch who has taken over!

congrats on your weight loss-that's great!  At the end of week 3, i started crying all the time.  I would rather be cranky, it is an emotional i'm familiar with lol

I felt that away around family eating dinner so i would join them with soup or leave the kitchen,  

15 minutes ago, adistacke said:

i started crying all the time. 

Oh no! I wonder if that's next for me. How are you now? Any better?

Just looked at your stats. Your surgery is pretty fresh, too. The tears may still be flowing.:unsure:

The liquid stage would make anyone cranky. It will get better. 

10 pounds in the first week - wow!  

Thank you for making me feel normal, @Jen581791! People here are the best!

Jen581791 likes this

2 hours ago, Gretta said:

Thank you for making me feel normal, @Jen581791! People here are the best!

(Psst, @Gretta!! Some of us chewed food up and then spit it out that second week JUST to have the sensation of chewing!!! Better than chewing out the supportive cast in the family! ;) It wasn't like I would have died if I hadn't chewed... but once I figured out I could do that ... ) - BB (Don't tell anyone, ok?)

Gretta likes this

Thanks for the tip, @BurgundyBoy. I am soooo bored with these liquids. Ugh! If I've hit my protein & fluid goals for the day, even if I'm hungry I don't ingest anything more, because I find everything I'm allowed to have so boring and off-putting. One more week! One more week!

BurgundyBoy likes this

24 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Thanks for the tip, @BurgundyBoy. I am soooo bored with these liquids. Ugh! If I've hit my protein & fluid goals for the day, even if I'm hungry I don't ingest anything more, because I find everything I'm allowed to have so boring and off-putting. One more week! One more week!

My wife got me some Ricola LemonMint herb drops that are sugar free. When I was at my most insane on the liquids I sucked on these, sometimes 5 or 6 in a row. I know they do have some minimal amount of carbs (8 calories) so they are not zero, but they allowed me to have some mouth feel. 

Gretta likes this

16 hours ago, Gretta said:

Oh no! I wonder if that's next for me. How are you now? Any better?

Just looked at your stats. Your surgery is pretty fresh, too. The tears may still be flowing.:unsure:

i think being back to work has helped...i was also really home sick so that has faded a bit and also mourning my old life which really wasn't as fantastic and I think it was lol.  I'm trying to have a new attitude that I can start doing things i liked but no alcohol and probably no food...eventually i will be able to have a glass of wine but i'm going to give it until the end of summer before i even think about it.  Hope you don't get the blues...no fun!  

1 hour ago, adistacke said:

i think being back to work has helped...i was also really home sick so that has faded a bit and also mourning my old life which really wasn't as fantastic and I think it was lol.  I'm trying to have a new attitude that I can start doing things i liked but no alcohol and probably no food...eventually i will be able to have a glass of wine but i'm going to give it until the end of summer before i even think about it.  Hope you don't get the blues...no fun!  

It's really hard to have a good attitude on all this early restriction. I think I miss my good attitude more than I miss food! Go easy on yourself. We've been through a lot. Can't wait for the good part for both of us!

Trish1967 and adistacke like this

Update from the crankster: OK, I know I promised to be an infrequent weigher, but I had a decent BM finally (sorry TMI), so I got curious. I'm down 13 pounds in 8 days! What?! So happy this is paying off!

Also, tonight will be my last injection. SO happy about that!

Thanks so much for your support and understanding. It means the world!

Trish1967 and Jen581791 like this

You just lost your best friend, your entire routine has been completely shifted around, you still can't drive, and you are learning vastly different ways of coping than in the past. Add not being able to poop as freely as before to the mix and anyone would be cranky. Actually, I think some cranky is a great thing. Being pleasant all the time isn't realistic or honest. We are all allowed to run the gamut of emotions, and maybe this will help us not to use food as a crutch anymore. You're doing GREAT!

Miss A, Gretta and Trish1967 like this

Hang in there Gretta, you are doing great!

Just remember, only bury people that are not being supportive and understanding of your situation in the back yard. If you follow this simple rule one of the main stimuluses' of your crankiness will be greatly reduced and you will be surrounded by only supportive people... win, win! :)

Injections are done! Injections are done! Injections are done!

I'm a little less cranky, too. :D

6 more days of liquids.

Jen581791 and Trish1967 like this

I'm so happy you have no more injections!! Being an insulin dependent diabetic for 4 years, I can certainly relate to the feeling of not having to inject myself anymore!! You can do this...6 more days!! I'm cheering for you!! I'm glad you're feeling a bit less cranky too :) this whole ordeal is such a learning process and everything is so new and foreign to our mind and body right now. It's no wonder you've been cranky! I've had a couple of meltdowns so far (crying jags) and been a bit *witchy* myself. This too shall pass. Congratulations on your amazing weight loss so far!!

14 hours ago, Havamal said:

Hang in there Gretta, you are doing great!

Just remember, only bury people that are not being supportive and understanding of your situation in the back yard. If you follow this simple rule one of the main stimuluses' of your crankiness will be greatly reduced and you will be surrounded by only supportive people... win, win! :)

Very wise. What good are back yards anyhow if you can't plant those annoying people?? @Havamal I didn't know you had such good, common, sense!

Havamal and Trish1967 like this

10 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

I'm so happy you have no more injections!! Being an insulin dependent diabetic for 4 years, I can certainly relate to the feeling of not having to inject myself anymore!! You can do this...6 more days!! I'm cheering for you!! I'm glad you're feeling a bit less cranky too :) this whole ordeal is such a learning process and everything is so new and foreign to our mind and body right now. It's no wonder you've been cranky! I've had a couple of meltdowns so far (crying jags) and been a bit *witchy* myself. This too shall pass. Congratulations on your amazing weight loss so far!!

Thanks! You have the best attitude and the cutest ticker ever. Look how far along you already are! Happy dance!

Trish1967 likes this

16 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Thanks! You have the best attitude and the cutest ticker ever. Look how far along you already are! Happy dance!

Yes, yes!! As soon as I can physically do a happy dance, I'm gonna!! As for the ticker...the rainbow represents hope, the butterfly is the symbol for thyroid cancer, so that represents me being cancer free, and, well, the pot of gold is self explanatory!!  We can do our happy dances together!! :D

I discovered gum in the liquid phase. Every flavor and all the time. It was like a tiny little party in my mouth.  Now why they can't make pizza flavored gum or even chocolate I'll ever know. But seriously it gives you some intense flavor and it helped me with my wanting something sweet without the sugar.  Just in the past week I discovered a brand that has flavors like birthday cake and lime-coconut. The lime-coconut one makes me feel like I'm having a tropical cocktail.  

tracyringo likes this

15 hours ago, Gretta said:

Injections are done! Injections are done! Injections are done!

I'm a little less cranky, too. :D

6 more days of liquids.

Sounds like you've turned the corner Gretta - keep your face to the sun my friend.

Karimeaway likes this

Thank you, @cinwa!