Phoenix97

Head Hunger and Triggers? Need some help in defining them! :)

I just started on this journey and was told by a wonderful user named Michael that there is something called "head hunger". I had never heard of it before yesterday. My dietitian told me about it. I thought "that is what that forum guy talked about!!!!"  NOW I get it. And I have it REALLY BAD. I almost NEVER eat when I am hungry. Ever. I am always full, because my head hunger has taken care of that. I am trying to identify triggers. And I am having a REALLY tough time. It comes on SO quickly. Just a "OOOOH....there is ___ in the fridge....." or "OOOH I wonder what is in the kitchen?" It is not a certain thing that I am noticing when it happens. (so far - I have only tried spotting the patterns for one day). This seems like a tough thing to handle. I quit smoking on my own. I quit hard drugs in my 20s with a $5,000/week coke addiction - by myself.  But I got educated and realized certain places and people were non negotiables. I had to realize that triggers were to be dealt with certain ways and head them off at the pass.

How can you defeat something you have no idea where it lives or will pop up next? 

This is harder than anything I have faced, yet. Tips? Tricks? Hell, catching this critter that lives in my brain will help me so much in this journey and will ensure making certain I don't regain the weight after I lose it. 

Once you get used to these ridiculous (normal) portions - does the head hunger subside? Does the increase of protein shut that thing up? This little sprite that is attached to me is STRONG. And it talks to me all of the time - oooh they are eating cookies - you can have one. (when I know  damn well I will have 5, hiding them under a napkin so no one sees how much I eat)  

Like right now I *think* I am hungry. How do I know if this is real or if I am making myself think I am hungry? I have a GREAT imagination and swear I have thought I was hungry before and it went away. UGH!!!

Did any of you feel this daunted when you started?  Oy....... :) 

fit.jpg

Lol you have good sense of humor !  I can definitely relate to your post. The first step is being aware of the problem, which you now are.My brain does the same thing,.. I have not had the surgery yet but sure some of the more advanced members can give you the advice you seek...Good luck on your journey !!

I try not to keep trigger foods in the house.  We don't need junk food.  

If i "think" I'm hungry and shouldn't be I drink something.  If a half an hour later (not supposed to eat within a half hour of drinking) I'm still hungry I grab a string cheese.  

I also constantly tell myself I don't need something!  Then I'll look at nutrition info and usually that kills it for me.  "I'm not going to eat 300 calories of garbage".  Early out I would question what nutrition is in it for me?  

It takes time to get to that mindset..

Hi Phoenix97 - it sounds like you have a good sense of self awareness about your own strengths and weaknesses when it comes to addictions, and really most of us here are facing some food addiction issues. @Cheesehead has some great advice as usual, and I'd add that tracking what you eat, at least until you build some different habits, will probably help in terms of understanding the impact of your choices on your day's nutritional balance. I use My Fitness Pal, but there are lots of other tools out there to help you track. 

Beating head hunger is a battle of two parts, I think: number one is recognizing it when it happens, so you can learn the difference between real hunger and "I'm bored," "I'm lonely," "I'm celebrating," "I'm angry," "I'm frustrated," or any other emotional reason you might turn to food. Number two is coming up with ways to derail that sequence, for example having a drink of water, or some string cheese later if that doesn't work, as Cheesehead said. I'm finding that my hunger signals are totally different now, and I'm just learning to recognize them and ignore the old ones. Here's a video by Dr. Matthew Wiener, a bariatric surgeon, about recognizing head hunger. He's got quite a few other videos on his YouTube channel that I have enjoyed - he has a good way of explaining things clearly without being condescending. 

Oh my GAWD. OK. Let the honesty begin. I remember in June asking this question. Then you guys were like "oh it's no big deal, the time will fly, you'll learn a lot." I wanted to strangle each and every one of you. I wanted the surgery then. That day. I didn't need counseling. I was ready. 

I, in no way, was ready for it. The nutritional counseling was amazing and continues after the surgery. I learned so much. I rarely deal with head hunger. You guys were SPOT ON. The time FLEW BY!  And I lost 40 pounds.  Thank you so much for being patient with my struggles. I cannot wait until next Tuesday. Surgery date 12-12 gotta be some luck in that. Lol

Again thanks guys. You know what you are talking about!

I get it, Phoenix. I felt the same way as you did when i found out that I had to wait 6 months for my insurance to approve me. But, I am really very glad for this time. I am fairly well educated in nutrition but, I have learned so much through the surgery classes that I am required to attend and this forum. I am positive that these things will make the difference in whether I succeed or I fail with WLS.

Actually, I was in a class today on dehydration. I was reminded all through that class of how much I have already learned on this forum. Matter of fact, I was able to comment on a few things because of the education that I received here.

Wishing you luck and please keep us posted with your progress.

Edited by Readytobeme

On 12/4/2017 at 8:35 PM, Phoenix97 said:

Oh my GAWD. OK. Let the honesty begin. I remember in June asking this question. Then you guys were like "oh it's no big deal, the time will fly, you'll learn a lot." I wanted to strangle each and every one of you. I wanted the surgery then. That day. I didn't need counseling. I was ready. 

I, in no way, was ready for it. The nutritional counseling was amazing and continues after the surgery. I learned so much. I rarely deal with head hunger. You guys were SPOT ON. The time FLEW BY!  And I lost 40 pounds.  Thank you so much for being patient with my struggles. I cannot wait until next Tuesday. Surgery date 12-12 gotta be some luck in that. Lol

Again thanks guys. You know what you are talking about!

I love hearing happy stories. I would have said “happy endings” but your life has just begun! Yay!!

Good luck with surgery tomorrow..

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah thank you I'm sooooooooooooooo excited!!!