jennifersmith23

Alcohol and Bypass Surgery

12 posts in this topic

This thread seems to be highly inactive and I am unsure why based on the research I have done...but I am 9 years post off and now bordering on alcoholism.  I was good for many years...well sort of...I took my eating habit...and turned it into a working out habit.  I worked out and trained HARD for 6 years...and did 6 full Ironmans and more halfs, marathons and half marathons than I can count...but I burned out...of the torture on my body...being away from my family...so that became less of a solution.  A year ago, I started drinking way more frequently...more glasses of wine...weekend...weekday...it didn't matter.  Now I am up to a bottle or two a night and if I try to not drink, I don't sleep.  I would love to stop...I am a smart girl...I know what I am doing...understand the consequences...but I just can't seem to take the step in the direction I know I need to go.  Is there anyone else out there with me?

vsgguy, BurgundyBoy and Cadoddle like this

Ironman?! Amazing! 

Recent thread on this: 

Don't be shy about bringing it up to your primary doctor and formulating a plan. It sounds like you can do anything! We're here to support you!

vsgguy and BurgundyBoy like this

If you aren't going to AA. Go. Even if you don't really think you need to go, Go. I come from a family of addicts. Being smart has nothing to do with it. You cannot outsmart addiction. Good Luck! 

Clickin, Michael_A, SweetP and 3 others like this

Nothing to add that others have not already said. You have reached out here, reach out and attend an AA meeting and see if any benefit to you and your current status. Good luck and keep in touch with the forum. 

BurgundyBoy and SweetP like this

There is often a disconnect between what you should do and what you will do - that's how most of us gained weight in the first place! The difference for many people is taking the steps to have accountability and support. Attending support meetings such as AA and talking to your physician will help you to have both of these things. If you think it would help, you can talk to your doctor about a referral to a psychiatrist, or medication like Antabuse (although even with this, you must have the drive and support!). Take the steps and keep us updated!

Stephtay and Waisting like this

Your post interested me and I read on your profile page. Your post of "3 Year Surgiversary"  is wonderfully insightful. I enjoyed reading of your story. You said your body got a BUG..... A "Now what can my body do?" bug.  Jennifer, YOU have already got what it takes to "getter done".  Do what ever you need to do for yourself; something only you can do. Find help wherever you need to and you will accomplish this. 

Waisting likes this

I have been posting intermittently on Angela Marie's 5 years' out post as well.  To be honest, I am so busy with AA and service work, I forget to check online at times if I don't turn the notifications on.  I am happy to speak with anyone via email or phone who wants to know how horrific drinking after bypass can be.

Towards the end of my severe drinking at the beginning of this year, I was frequently blacking out four or five times a week.  I was also blacked out and DRIVING when I received a DUI on February 15th of this year.  In December of last year, my lowest point in my life occurred when my daughter was witness to me being raped when I was blacked out.  I never want to see another human being endure what our family has endured in the last few years.

Today marks my 118th day of sobriety.  I never picked up another drink since the night of my arrest.  My charges were reduced in court to the lowest possible guidelines.  I have attended approximately 120 AA meetings to date.  I chair one meeting per week and volunteer with several organizations.  I just met with a newcomer this week who is 20 years old and has seven days' of sobriety.  

Please, please if you think you may have a problem, reach out to me or someone that cares. 

Posted (edited)

@danelle919, we're so lucky to have your insights here. Congratulations on 118 days of hard work! I'm so sorry for all you've been through. You're so strong!

Edited by Gretta

On 6/6/2017 at 11:30 PM, jennifersmith23 said:

This thread seems to be highly inactive and I am unsure why based on the research I have done...but I am 9 years post off and now bordering on alcoholism.  I was good for many years...well sort of...I took my eating habit...and turned it into a working out habit.  I worked out and trained HARD for 6 years...and did 6 full Ironmans and more halfs, marathons and half marathons than I can count...but I burned out...of the torture on my body...being away from my family...so that became less of a solution.  A year ago, I started drinking way more frequently...more glasses of wine...weekend...weekday...it didn't matter.  Now I am up to a bottle or two a night and if I try to not drink, I don't sleep.  I would love to stop...I am a smart girl...I know what I am doing...understand the consequences...but I just can't seem to take the step in the direction I know I need to go.  Is there anyone else out there with me?

Of course. @AngelaMarie @danelle919 with you too. Suggest you walk back from this in whatever way you can handle. Do you have a doc you can talk to? 

Some people "have" to stop abruptly, but if you have been drinking a bottle or two for a year, there are risks with this (seizures, permanent memory problems...). Some people cut their daily intake every day which also works. You need pro help. Alcohol takes on its own life, whatever your reasons for drinking. The Forum will support you but get pro help. 

Six thousand years ago our ancestors found that alcohol made their worry, their anxiety, their fears go away for a little while after they drank. What tough lives they must have lived. And no relief from the fright, the horrors of Neolithic life, the anxiety and dread and depression. We're no different except the magnitude of our horrors have changed. 

My personal view - and like lots of people, alcohol has woven itself into my life and those of my family and bigger family in both good and bad ways - is that Pro Help on (1) lowering or ending alcohol intake and (2) what psychological reasons underpinned this increase a year ago will really help. You don't need to figure out the underlying psych stuff to address #1, but it will help in the medium to long term. 

Lots of empathy, tough love, no [email protected], and deeply sympathetic friends here. 

Waisting likes this

Posted (edited)

@danelle919 Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am really sorry about the hard times you have had, but also very proud of you for sobriety. Your story is such a powerful reminder to everyone here to be very, very careful of alcohol after WLS and to march into an AA meeting as soon as it feels like it might be a problem. It definitely helps me to reaffirm my commitment to extreme caution about alcohol from here on out. It's always been an important part of my life, but it needs to not be anymore. Again, thank you for coming here and being open and honest with us. I wish you the very best in your recovery.

Edited by Jen581791
Waisting likes this

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:30 PM, jennifersmith23 said:

I would venture to say this thread is inactive because most people here don't think they have a problem with food addiction, or any addiction for that matter. AA is the way to go. You cannot think your way through this. Being smart or not having enough willpower doesn't have anything to do with it. Addiction is a medical condition with an emotional / mental / spiritual component and you cannot beat it alone. The best family in the world is not a good enough reason to stop if you've reached that stepping off point. You do not have to do this by yourself, and the anonymous thing is for real. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. You don't have to announce to ANYONE that you're an alcoholic. You can just sit and listen, if you like. If a meeting doesn't suit you, try others.

Your PCP may very well be a great doctor, but if he is not familiar with addiction, his understanding will be different than that of someone in recovery. Please avail yourself of all the resources you can as you go through this. Don't punish yourself for switching addictions, but don't resign yourself to it either. You will lose everything you hold dear.

SweetP likes this

On 6/6/2017 at 11:30 PM, jennifersmith23 said:

How you doing?