Daholla77

I decided to go on my own.

6 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,  last august i decide that I was going to get Gastric  Sleeve so I took the class through Kaiser and I met my Doctor. He said that I need to lose 25 pounds. I was like ok cool. I ask him will this get rid of my Diabetes? Then told me that it will go into remission but will come back even at a smaller weight. Due to me having it so long (became Diabetic when I was 22 and at the time of the appointment I was 39 now 40)   So this threw me for a loop. The whole point of doing this was to get rid of my Diabetes. So i had to do to some soul searching and I decided to do it on my own. I figure use the diet that kaiser gave in there manual and I would kick up the exercise.  I have lost a total of 68 pounds total. From My heaviest I have ever been at 415 to now. At my doctors appointment I was 390.  I have been riding bikes, doing karate, kettlebells and swimming. I have been using myfitnesspal to help keep me mindful of what I eat. I also made a rule that if I can't make it, have made for me I stay away as much as possible. So very little process food. One big key is portion control that has been major forme. It is the reason why I wanted to get the surgery in the first place. I was like how is it I am an active big guy and I am not losing weight? Picture is when I was chaperoning prom in 2016 and the other is 2017. Keep moving forward in your goals guys and you will get there.

18451374_10214091932798717_2359482058561042889_o.jpg

Congrats on some great results! Nice job. It sounds like you have some solid strategies in place. I agree that it's a little confusing to be an active person and still not be able to lose weight!

So, have you decided to not go ahead with the surgery? Or is this weight loss to get ready for surgery?

So many awesome changes! Way to go!

2 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Congrats on some great results! Nice job. It sounds like you have some solid strategies in place. I agree that it's a little confusing to be an active person and still not be able to lose weight!

So, have you decided to not go ahead with the surgery? Or is this weight loss to get ready for surgery?

I decided to not have the surgery.  I have  come to terms that losing weight the regular way is a slow process and any loss  that comes my way is good. 

Jen581791 likes this

I'd been diabetic for 18 years.  I was told bypass was the best way to put it remission.  Then just before surgery my surgeon told me he wasn't sure it would put it in remission but would improve it.  I was devastated but forged ahead.  I had fought for years to stay off insulin even though it wasn't under control.  I was maxed out on Actos, glipizide and metformin.  My blood surgars didn't make them happy right after surgery so I was sent home on insulin with instructions to decrease it every couple days.  I went home Friday night.  I struggled all weekend to keep my blood sugar readings up.  Monday (5 days after surgery) my diabetic coordinator took me off all blood sugar meds.  That was 4 1/2 years ago.  My A1C has been normal ever since..  

Hope yours improve.  You're looking good!

2 hours ago, Daholla77 said:

I decided to not have the surgery.  I have  come to terms that losing weight the regular way is a slow process and any loss  that comes my way is good. 

So, per prior posts, I am eating 1300-1500 calories a day and exercise most days and... have been stuck in a stall for almost 3 weeks - lost no weight recently. "Makes no sense" since exactly the same regimen, was losing 1/2 lb a day recently. My body is likely in some starvation mode re-configuration mode. So not surprised if your weight loss is slower than you might have thought it would be. 

Way I read the literature, you would have a good shot at remission of diabetes for a while and then run a chance of recurrence (not as bad though) with time if you chose surgery You are right that having had it for nearly 2 decades the chance of permanently going away is lower ... but as I read it, it is not zero. 

I did the surgery because my back and hip were so bad. Back way better, hip not, probably still need hip replaced (too much weight and exercise for that poor joint). Would have chosen surgery even if I had had diabetes to help those issues. 

Daholla77 likes this