Fro

Cost of Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy

Hi,

Just joined today. Been really enlightened to see what all the folks that have gone through this life-changing procedure. I hope one day I can be able to get the LSG that will free me of my battle with Diabetes, High Blood Pressure and Sleep Apnea. I have tried so many things to get into better shape; I feel as I get older, my chances of losing any meaningful weight goes downhill. Unfortunately, my health has progressively been deteriorating as well. 

My GP and I actually had our first conversation last Friday about Bariatric Surgery. She believes I am a good candidate and with my previous attempts have shown her that I can be very dedicated to maintain the weight loss. However, then I find out that my healthcare insurance does not pay for Bariatric Surgery. I work for a small company and I doubt they will add Bariatric Surgery to their plan. Regardless, I have scheduled a consultation with Dr. John Brebbia with MedStar Health in the Washington, D.C. area on June 20th. Not sure what he may be able to do with regards to my dilemma but I want to see if something can be done. 

If anyone has gone through the same situation, I would love to know how things played out and if there were any words of advice that can be provided!  I'm thinking it may cost around $20K in the DC Metro area for the LSG. I need help and feel so frustrated with my current employer's health plan!

Welcome! I believe @Smashlee83 is our most recent self-pay sleeve surgery. You may want to message her.

40 minutes ago, Fro said:

Hi,

Just joined today. Been really enlightened to see what all the folks that have gone through this life-changing procedure. I hope one day I can be able to get the LSG that will free me of my battle with Diabetes, High Blood Pressure and Sleep Apnea. I have tried so many things to get into better shape; I feel as I get older, my chances of losing any meaningful weight goes downhill. Unfortunately, my health has progressively been deteriorating as well. 

My GP and I actually had our first conversation last Friday about Bariatric Surgery. She believes I am a good candidate and with my previous attempts have shown her that I can be very dedicated to maintain the weight loss. However, then I find out that my healthcare insurance does not pay for Bariatric Surgery. I work for a small company and I doubt they will add Bariatric Surgery to their plan. Regardless, I have scheduled a consultation with Dr. John Brebbia with MedStar Health in the Washington, D.C. area on June 20th. Not sure what he may be able to do with regards to my dilemma but I want to see if something can be done. 

If anyone has gone through the same situation, I would love to know how things played out and if there were any words of advice that can be provided!  I'm thinking it may cost around $20K in the DC Metro area for the LSG. I need help and feel so frustrated with my current employer's health plan!

If you are interested at all in going the medical tourism route (and substantially cheaper), @ThinCVT had a great experience.

Welcome!

There's always Mexico. They run around $5000 (or even less depending on the location and surgeon) there. Best of luck getting the details worked out!

I paid $7400 for mine. This included pre-op and post op appointments. My surgery was out patient and I was home the same day.

My university hospital's self pay for VSG is $17,200. Thankful that they publish their costs for us, as my co-pay is 30%, so I can figure out exactly how much I will owe. 

Hi @Fro, Bummer about your insurance! Here in Kansas, the cost we were told is $20k for self pay (versus $37k for insurance billed). They do offer payment plans for the self-pay option. Good luck!