So I'm on my 4th day post-op (not counting the whole day of the surgery which I had very early morning), and tomorrow afternoon I fly back home on a 2 hour flight.

Got myself a premium economy seat as it has a tad more space, got an aisle seat so I can walk around - something I saw suggested in another post around here somewhere - and am gonna buy some water bottles after teh security check to avoid having to have anything from the limited in-flight options or such. I've also asked for a wheelchair to and from the airplane gate because while I can walk, the gate for this airline is notoriously far and I don't want to push it needlessly.

Im good on drinking things and have been consuming liquids of varied types quite easily, going to the toilet (both ways) and being mobile and flexible enough to bathe myself and all with no real issues. So for that I'm glad. Even my post-op back pain has all but vanished.

Lastly though, the only thing that's still a pain and likely will be for a while is a severe tenderness and pain on my right side. My surgeon while I was still in the hospital said that that's because that's where most of the stitching/stapling was done so will be the most sore. BUT it can be quite painful, even when sleeping, rolling/moving around a little wakes me up because the belly moves a tad independantly and that spot feels like somethings pulling in the inside - and if I happen to cough proper even a little, its a sharp, hard pain just in that one area. I'm hoping this will at least subside a bit in the next couple of weeks so that it's not as painful till such time that it stops (whenever that might be).

Anyway, that's my general update. Hope everyones doing well. It's been great to have this space and you folks to interact with - like the feeling of being fat, this is someting that people not going through it do not seem to understand and either don't take it seriously or look down at you about it or in the other extreme treat you like a child and are not helpful.

10 minutes ago, Aksh said:

So I'm on my 4th day post-op (not counting the whole day of the surgery which I had very early morning), and tomorrow afternoon I fly back home on a 2 hour flight.

Got myself a premium economy seat as it has a tad more space, got an aisle seat so I can walk around - something I saw suggested in another post around here somewhere - and am gonna buy some water bottles after teh security check to avoid having to have anything from the limited in-flight options or such. I've also asked for a wheelchair to and from the airplane gate because while I can walk, the gate for this airline is notoriously far and I don't want to push it needlessly.

Im good on drinking things and have been consuming liquids of varied types quite easily, going to the toilet (both ways) and being mobile and flexible enough to bathe myself and all with no real issues. So for that I'm glad. Even my post-op back pain has all but vanished.

Lastly though, the only thing that's still a pain and likely will be for a while is a severe tenderness and pain on my right side. My surgeon while I was still in the hospital said that that's because that's where most of the stitching/stapling was done so will be the most sore. BUT it can be quite painful, even when sleeping, rolling/moving around a little wakes me up because the belly moves a tad independantly and that spot feels like somethings pulling in the inside - and if I happen to cough proper even a little, its a sharp, hard pain just in that one area. I'm hoping this will at least subside a bit in the next couple of weeks so that it's not as painful till such time that it stops (whenever that might be).

Anyway, that's my general update. Hope everyones doing well. It's been great to have this space and you folks to interact with - like the feeling of being fat, this is someting that people not going through it do not seem to understand and either don't take it seriously or look down at you about it or in the other extreme treat you like a child and are not helpful.

Aksh you should be okay on the flight. Sounds like you are being thoughtful and well prepared.

I had the same sharp pain and pulling sensation, and I could have stopped my oral opiate for pain earlier than I did except I needed that to get to sleep otherwise the pain kept me up - it was just in one place. It did subside over a couple of weeks, maybe 10 days, and I didn't need the opiate past about a week as I recall. I'd be watchful but expectant that it will go away.

Yeah, I'm keeping hopeful that whatever luck has been keeping me from the worse symptoms many people seem to be having stays on - I don't mind enduring this pain the next couple of weeks really because it's a small thing in the grander scheme.

Keeping my DVT socks on pretty much 24/7 under Doc's orders and will do so until Wednesday morning but damn are these things annoying! It gets so itchy and the constrictive feeling is irritating. Well, small annoyance in the grand scheme again so not gonna complain too much.

Sounds like you're doing really well :) It seems like the pains are maybe a bit greater for VSG patients where the big incision is - but for four days out, it sounds like you're in a good place. Smart idea with the economy plus and the wheelchair. Take it easy!

Sounds like you're doing great! Smart idea with the wheelchair. It helps to hug a pillow to that sore spot when coughing or sneezing. Safe travels!

Thanks folks, made it home in one piece and now just taking it easy.

Nice to be back in comfortable settings, helps the day to day a lot for me since there's so many other annoying life adjustments that are in progress, especilly the liquid diet and walking around every hour or so.

Do you guys walk around much post-op? Im just trying to gauge if Im walking enough or not.

46 minutes ago, Aksh said:

Thanks folks, made it home in one piece and now just taking it easy.

Nice to be back in comfortable settings, helps the day to day a lot for me since there's so many other annoying life adjustments that are in progress, especilly the liquid diet and walking around every hour or so.

Do you guys walk around much post-op? Im just trying to gauge if Im walking enough or not.

I tried to walk as much as possible after my surgery but it took baby steps. At first, a ten minute walk was brutal. My surgeon told me to take it at my own pace but it was important to move around so that my internal organs would drop. At three weeks, I was slowly walking half a kilometer. It sounds like you are on the right track by trying to move every hour  

Im glad you are back home. I think being in your own surroundings makes recovery much easier. :)

52 minutes ago, Aksh said:

At first I walked a bunch to get rid if the gas pain. Now I'm not walking much for the sake of walking. I just go about my day. I have taken a couple walks for exercise. My calories are so low right now, I get tired easily. In a couple days, I'm going to try to start working myself back up to my pre-surgery fitness level over a couple weeks. I want to be back in the gym doing hour-long classes by June 20. I really think the "walk, walk, walk" mandate in the days after surgery is to get rid if gas and prevent blood clots.

Glad you're feeling good. There's no place like home, huh?

Edited by Gretta

On 6/3/2017 at 1:10 PM, Aksh said:

Just a comment on the side pain, that will go away in few weeks. It's annoying but it will soon be a distant memory. 

On 6/3/2017 at 3:46 PM, Gretta said:

Sounds like you're doing great! Smart idea with the wheelchair. It helps to hug a pillow to that sore spot when coughing or sneezing. Safe travels!

@Gretta Great advice about the pillow! I had forgotten that the pillow was my best friend for the first three weeks or so. I second this recommendation.

@NerdyLady Yeah the pillow is now my best bud when Im sleeping mainly. One on either side is just like this little padding and now I need it a lot less but it helps so I'm going to stick with it for the immediate future.

Also, yeah being home definitely is leagues better than being in the hospital or in a hotel.

@Gretta The early walking is definitely for the blood-clots more than anything plus the organ dropping and settling that NerdyLady mentioned.

I'm really wanting to get back to the gym too but I don't want to be over-eager. Think I'm going to stick to walking in-house and my dads treadmill for the next week at least - I started doing about 10 minutes at a stretch at a speed of about 2 today and will slowly raise that over the week ahead as much as feels comfortable.

Once I get to soft foods next week (which I'm really looking forward to!) I think there will be slightly more calories, more healing, more settling of my new system and I should be able to do more aerobic/walking exercise and then will keep doing that every evening (since I'll be back to work Monday) and maybe mornings (if I can get up early enough) until my 1-month visit and then ask the doc if I can add on other activities. Ideally I want to get back to swimming and playing badminton if I can.

NOTE:

My hunger really has abated. A lot.

Funnily enough, while I'm eating something or food comes up, I have a pang/craving or enjoy the aroma/taste of whatver Im having. because at heart I'm a food loving person. Not a glutton, just love nice food, I even enjoy cooking and hilariously enough if I cook I often used to forget to eat :D BUT NOW when that moment of conversation has passed or my meal is over or even mid-meal, I can forget 100% about food - for the first time in maybe years.

That's so great, @Aksh!

@Aksh How are things going?

@BurgundyBoy

I'm doing pretty good actually. At work as I type this out.

Been back to semi-solids and little to no trouble with anything so far. It's more of a pain coming up with healthy dishes with my limited options but I like a challenge and I enjoy cooking so that works out :D I even made 4 different dishes for my parents who were having some friends over because I enjoy cooking and needed some activity and it was a good exercise in restraint and seeing how much my cravings had abated. Still wanted of course, but yes the cray craving was way down.

Now the pains all but gone, mostly just a dull one on one spot only - mostly when I sit or lie down wrong or walk too much. But it's waning and I'm just waiting for it to be all but gone so I can start using the treadmill properly (walking, not running yet!) and add some more activity to my lifestyle plus of course getting back to a full day at work because I've been doing half-days the past week.

AND! Just another 12 days before I can get to start solids again! :)

Good to see you, @Aksh! Great update!

Glad to hear from you, @Aksh. It sounds like you're doing really well. I think your love for cooking will serve you well in the process of getting used to what you can eat now. Best of luck getting active again - you'll be feeling better in no time, I'm sure!

10 hours ago, Aksh said:

@BurgundyBoy

I'm doing pretty good actually. At work as I type this out.

Been back to semi-solids and little to no trouble with anything so far. It's more of a pain coming up with healthy dishes with my limited options but I like a challenge and I enjoy cooking so that works out :D I even made 4 different dishes for my parents who were having some friends over because I enjoy cooking and needed some activity and it was a good exercise in restraint and seeing how much my cravings had abated. Still wanted of course, but yes the cray craving was way down.

Now the pains all but gone, mostly just a dull one on one spot only - mostly when I sit or lie down wrong or walk too much. But it's waning and I'm just waiting for it to be all but gone so I can start using the treadmill properly (walking, not running yet!) and add some more activity to my lifestyle plus of course getting back to a full day at work because I've been doing half-days the past week.

AND! Just another 12 days before I can get to start solids again! :)

@Aksh Good to hear from you! Glad you are mostly recovered. I had one spot like you have that took longer to stop bothering me.

For what it's worth when I was "cleared" to go to solids it did not mean I could actually eat all the solids I thought I wanted... still has taken me a while to get to eating more solid, drier foods. 

Perhaps my recollection is faulty, but didn't you post a couple of times on your workplace and what you would / would not say to them? Is it too forward to ask what your considerations were and what you decided to do?

Thanks and best wishes...

On 19/6/2017 at 10:45 PM, Jen581791 said:

Glad to hear from you, @Aksh. It sounds like you're doing really well. I think your love for cooking will serve you well in the process of getting used to what you can eat now. Best of luck getting active again - you'll be feeling better in no time, I'm sure!

Thanks, I'm feeling the capacity and inclination to eat again now after almost a month - but it's a lot less of a stressful craving for which I'm so grateful I can't stop talking about it :D

But yeah, you're right, I think my cooking leanings and knowledge of the kitchen is helping a lot because I'm not just getting meals someones pre-prepared and eating what Im given, I'm actively involved in my meal planning and prep and am appreciating and enjoying/savouring whatever little I can eat at this point.

I think if I can do this part well it'll help develop maybe a healthier appreciation for my food and get some discipline regarding eating habits just by virtue of forced training as I'm having right now :)

...though I will admit, I had to walk through a mall food court twice (from and to the entrance to the car-park) the other day and THAT was a test of will for me, I could smell all the things I love and I was so damn tempted to just slow down and grab a mcdonalds burger or some fresh fries... but I just forced myself to keep the pace and move, move, move till it was behind and told myself no turning back.

I love that you can't stop talking about being grateful! Fantastic! Well done resisting that food court twice!

12 minutes ago, Aksh said:

it's a lot less of a stressful craving for which I'm so grateful I can't stop talking about it :D

I completely understand this!!! I can say no to things, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about food, and I feel like a big part of my brain has been freed!

Congrats on getting by the food court without giving in. The smells in fast food are scientifically engineered to hit our weak spots!!

@BurgundyBoy

I get what you mean about the solids - and more so about drier foods. Which is why I'm starting slow, like yesterday I made a pretty dry shepherds pie kind of dish with cooked chicken mince and a super thin layer of boiled mashed potato on top that I then baked. Also Indian food has a lot of non-dry food so I think that will help a lot getting both meats and veggies into my system without that dryness as I adjust to solid-er items. Hopefully. I'm just moving forward step by step and hoping for the best.

RE: My Workplace... well I think I did mention someplace that I had no plans to keep it some kind of super-secret. That said, I do work in a fairly formal, old-fashioned-y kind of office and though younger than many, I am a pretty senior guy in the setup. I did inform my immediate superiors that I was going to be on leave and that this was why I was taking the leave and all but they didn't ask too much about it and I elected to leave it at that. Should anyone else ask, I fully intend to tell them. Partly I suppose because (a) I don't intend to be ashamed of it and (b) I'm one of those people that really wishes people were more educated about, well, everything, so if I know something someone else doesn't and they ask me then I can be almost like a school-teacher. (In fact an aptitude test I took years ago when I was in school said I should be a teacher! :D )

31 minutes ago, Gretta said:

I love that you can't stop talking about being grateful! Fantastic! Well done resisting that food court twice!

Thanks @Gretta & @Jen581791 The food court was an interesting test of willpower :)

Honestly there's a lot going on in life with family and work and money and blah blah, but this is a good thing that's happening to me after a while, I'm feeling better and maybe it's selfish but I want to enjoy what is making me feel just... better, after ages for as long as I can. I'm the kind of dude who thanks everyone for everything, even any doorman or everytime a waiter does anything including give me water and so on and just like that, I want to be thankful for this as much as possible.

@Aksh Not surprised you have an aptitude to be a teacher. ^_^

Too bad we can't bottle the smells that evoke great memories and make us salivate... and add them to our protein drinks!

Too true! :D