Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
diego77

Introducing resistance work to my cardio

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just thought I’d share a a bit of my overall plan and progress so far.  I’ve been doing cardio most days, which varies between cycling and walking in the hills.  I alternate the two a day at a time and find that both complement each other quite well. While this hasn't necessarily affected my weight in any way, I’m generally feeling a lot better than I did a few weeks ago.  I used to lift free weights when I was younger (and a lot slimmer) so I’m keen to start introducing that into my general routine, in the hope that I can start converting some of the excess fat into muscle.  I guess I won’t really notice anything looks-wise, but I’m confident I’ll feel a lot better as a result, though I’m expecting weeks and months to really feel the difference.

I managed to get hold of a good quality ‘back support’ belt online (https://www.easyprices.com/fashion/weight-lifting-belt-xxl-cheap) as I still have mild back injuries from years ago, and a friend of mine is selling a nice set of free weights (not too heavy), which will all be perfect to get me started.  As long as I’m sensible with all this and keep in mind that my physical ability is nowhere near on par with my mental ‘dream’, then I should be ok.  Above all else, I just want to feel ‘well’ again, and that in itself will help my confidence.

athenarose likes this

4 hours ago, diego77 said:

Hi all,

Just thought I’d share a a bit of my overall plan and progress so far.  I’ve been doing cardio most days, which varies between cycling and walking in the hills.  I alternate the two a day at a time and find that both complement each other quite well. While this hasn't necessarily affected my weight in any way, I’m generally feeling a lot better than I did a few weeks ago.  I used to lift free weights when I was younger (and a lot slimmer) so I’m keen to start introducing that into my general routine, in the hope that I can start converting some of the excess fat into muscle.  I guess I won’t really notice anything looks-wise, but I’m confident I’ll feel a lot better as a result, though I’m expecting weeks and months to really feel the difference.

I managed to get hold of a good quality ‘back support’ belt online (https://www.easyprices.com/fashion/weight-lifting-belt-xxl-cheap) as I still have mild back injuries from years ago, and a friend of mine is selling a nice set of free weights (not too heavy), which will all be perfect to get me started.  As long as I’m sensible with all this and keep in mind that my physical ability is nowhere near on par with my mental ‘dream’, then I should be ok.  Above all else, I just want to feel ‘well’ again, and that in itself will help my confidence.

Hi makes sense to me - maybe this will help motivate me to start some new exercise besides my cardio. Did you have surgery?

11 hours ago, diego77 said:

Hi all,

Great job with your workouts. Just one thing to keep in mind: it's incredibly difficult, if not impossible to simultaneously lose fat and gain muscle. They're opposite processes- you need a deficiency to lose fat and a surplus to gain muscle. That's why bodybuilders tend to focus on one or the other at any given time. That said, adding weights is a great way to try to maintain muscle mass and/or minimize muscle loss as you lose all that fat. You're going to do amazing! Keep up the hard work and keep us updated on your progress.

duffman27 and Jen581791 like this

Hi @diego77 and @athenarose

In the last week started doing some curls and chin-ups, leg extensions, etc. Pretty small weights getting pushed around right now but it feels good! 

Have to laugh. I figured I would do a little rowing too since that tends to build chest/arms muscles. I used to be able to row for essentially an hour 10-15 years ago. I could only do 4 sets of 500 meters at the pace I used to row. 

athenarose likes this

2 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Hi @diego77 and @athenarose

In the last week started doing some curls and chin-ups, leg extensions, etc. Pretty small weights getting pushed around right now but it feels good! 

Have to laugh. I figured I would do a little rowing too since that tends to build chest/arms muscles. I used to be able to row for essentially an hour 10-15 years ago. I could only do 4 sets of 500 meters at the pace I used to row. 

Great job! Last week, I just got back on the erg (rowing machine) for first time in almost 20 years and almost beat my trainer's 1000m time. I didn't realize much I'd missed it. Now I'm doing 2000m as my warm-up for my workouts.  I bet you'll be back to your old time soon if you keep at it. 

1 minute ago, athenarose said:

Great job! Last week, I just got back on the erg (rowing machine) for first time in almost 20 years and almost beat my trainer's 1000m time. I didn't realize much I'd missed it. Now I'm doing 2000m as my warm-up for my workouts.  I bet you'll be back to your old time soon if you keep at it. 

Yeah, it's just a matter of putting the time in on the erg. Toasting your trainer must have been fun!

I discovered back then that doing an hour was not such a hot idea for my back. One day there was someone at my gym who was just ripping along, turned out she had competed for the Olympics slots in the US. She was the one who said my back would not be able to tolerate an hour on the erg on a daily basis - something about how actually rowing was ok (in college we did a couple of hours a day in practices, but never an hour solid rowing). It's a great sport and great exercise. It's obviously high cardio and high strength building too (lifting weights while running??)

10 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Yeah, it's just a matter of putting the time in on the erg. Toasting your trainer must have been fun!

I discovered back then that doing an hour was not such a hot idea for my back. One day there was someone at my gym who was just ripping along, turned out she had competed for the Olympics slots in the US. She was the one who said my back would not be able to tolerate an hour on the erg on a daily basis - something about how actually rowing was ok (in college we did a couple of hours a day in practices, but never an hour solid rowing). It's a great sport and great exercise. It's obviously high cardio and high strength building too (lifting weights while running??)

That's true now that you mention it. We never rowed for an hour straight (I rowed crew in high school). Even when we were on the water, we'd row for a bit, then sit and get feedback and essentially rest for 5 or 10 minutes before rowing some more. I'm glad you posted this. I've been playing with the idea of getting on the erg and doing 5000m a couple times a week, but then I was thinking that seemed short. Now that actually sounds like the perfect length. I'd be done in under 30 minutes easily and could still do some lifting or other cardio. 

BurgundyBoy likes this

5 minutes ago, athenarose said:

That's true now that you mention it. We never rowed for an hour straight (I rowed crew in high school). Even when we were on the water, we'd row for a bit, then sit and get feedback and essentially rest for 5 or 10 minutes before rowing some more. I'm glad you posted this. I've been playing with the idea of getting on the erg and doing 5000m a couple times a week, but then I was thinking that seemed short. Now that actually sounds like the perfect length. I'd be done in under 30 minutes easily and could still do some lifting or other cardio. 

Have to agree with you from the perspectives of "what will do your back in," as well as having enough time in the proverbial hour at the gym to get some other substantive workout in. 

athenarose likes this