Cherryl

Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift Issues

16 posts in this topic

I need advice.  I had a Fleur-de-Lis Abdominoplasty and breast lift on April 26th - 5 weeks ago.  I still have a small hole under my left breast that I am packing, but it is healing.  My major concern is my stomach.  I had 12#'s of skin removed and where the 4 incisions came together separated at 4 week mark.  I packed them for a week.  When I went back yesterday to my plastic surgeon he put a negative pressure wound care system on me.  He says it will help in the healing and with the scaring.  My surgeon has been great, no complaints there.  However, I am very worried about the fact that I am still dealing with this 5 weeks out.  Has anyone had any experience with this?

I was hoping to have a followup surgery to have implants added to my breast lift.  Now I am very worried that I will not heal from that.  I am a non smoker so not sure if I am not doing something correct or if I am just one of the unlucky bad healers.

Thanks for any advice I can get.

Cherryl

It takes a good while to heal from surgery, especially after we hit 40.  As long as your wounds are making progress, you should be ok. Not smoking is great. Eat a really nutrient packed diet, drink plenty of water, make sure to take your vitamins. All of this will help in healing. Make sure you're following your surgeon's restrictions as far as exercise, sex, and lifting go. Hope that helps! 

Cherryl likes this

Thank you for the input Bellamoma.  I guess being 50 and having skin that was stretched so much was too much to hope for a no issue recovery.  One day at a time.

Thank you.

On 5/31/2017 at 7:57 AM, Cherryl said:

I need advice.  I had a Fleur-de-Lis Abdominoplasty and breast lift on April 26th - 5 weeks ago.  I still have a small hole under my left breast that I am packing, but it is healing.  My major concern is my stomach.  I had 12#'s of skin removed and where the 4 incisions came together separated at 4 week mark.  I packed them for a week.  When I went back yesterday to my plastic surgeon he put a negative pressure wound care system on me.  He says it will help in the healing and with the scaring.  My surgeon has been great, no complaints there.  However, I am very worried about the fact that I am still dealing with this 5 weeks out.  Has anyone had any experience with this?

I was hoping to have a followup surgery to have implants added to my breast lift.  Now I am very worried that I will not heal from that.  I am a non smoker so not sure if I am not doing something correct or if I am just one of the unlucky bad healers.

Thanks for any advice I can get.

Cherryl

Cherryl, I had surgery April 14th, I have a wound vac also from having a post body lift and scare revision under my left breast from my September surgery which you can ready under my well I did it..... Post. So why complications with this surgery in April and not September when I had 4 surgeries this one was one with a revision?? Don't know..... My back scare line was healing fine and then one day boom I got a seroma 5 weeks after I was healing?? THEN I noticed my revsion scare was red, irritated and had a few holes. Sound familiar? So surgeon said it was stitch rejection and pulled out about 4 stitches, said it would get better now that the irritation would be gone. Nope...... I got holes everywhere he removed a stitch. The wound care clinic has been great by chasing all these little holes ( I feel like sally from nightmare before Christmas) they have tried medihoney, silversor, and about 4 other healing agence. My first theory was because I'm wearing the wound vac I was not taking showers and the skin was dry therefore the stitches where not softening and couldn't come out of my body so I started soaking the areas with Epsom salt and hot washcloths. Didn't work....  second theory was get on a good multivitamin but oh wait I developed a blood clot in my right leg from laying in bed for 3 straight weeks so I can't have K Vitamin, vegetables most fruits etc..... so I asked my pharmacist at the anticoagulation Clinic to switch me on the newer medications that don't work on the K Vitamin, now I am on a grass-fed collagen that goes in my protein shakes along with a probiotic, fiber that's added to my shakes and a liquid multivitamin with extra C a and b..... should I go on? I decided to try a salve that my husband came across by accident some lady locally makes this concoction he was trading car parts with her husband and somehow it came up about my wound healing issues she had thyroid cancer and had trouble getting her scar to heal so she made this concoction for that reason and now sells it. It is by far the only thing that has worked it smells wonderful it reminds me of the doctor Burt's Bees remedy they used to have you can put it on anything anywhere Burns cuts you name it. So now when I find any redness or a stitch that is wanting to pop out I put a little of this on and it has helped with the redness softened the skin and if there was a hole forming it's been closing within 24 hours.  my third Theory would be having any kind of weight loss through bariatric surgery we absorbed things differently I don't know if you do but alcohol medications vitamins everything I seem to absorb quickly but it leaves my body quickly so I don't know if I'm absorbing these internal stitches that our body is supposed to dissolve overtime? Or if it's just bad luck? It also doesn't make sense that I had no issues my first surgery which were four surgeries in one day versus one surgery but just like allergies you can become allergic to Seafood overnight I guess my body is not happy with these stitches. Also the wound care clinic nurse brought up a good point that the Stitch materials change a lot or the surgeons getting them from different places maybe this was a different material used this time versus my surgery in September? 

Sorry I know that was a lot of information but I would hate to see anyone go through what I have..... Everything was fine up to week 5! What the neck! And again a seroma is a fluid buildup that our bodies normally would just absorb on their own if they can't the seroma is then stuck and has to come out somewhere so even though my scar line was healed at that point that fluid buildup needed to escape somehow and left me with a huge I mean huge hole that's why I need the wound vac which I have had on since may 1 they said 2 to 3 weeks but I still have it on..... My "tunnel" was 9cm long and is now 1.5. So I'm getting there but will be left with a big scare to revise. Will I? Nope.... 

Double and triple check your protein intake - protein is so important to healing. I know many abdominal patients who wear a binder as well after surgery, to help lessen any pulling on fragile skin. If they've started  you with a wound vac, you can't really wear a binder, but it's definitely something to consider after the vac comes off. 

Belly wounds are unfortunately the most common to dehisce - especially ones that leave vertical incisions like the Fleur de Lis does - and you may have done literally nothing wrong, but just had bad luck. I hope things improve for you soon, keep us updated!

BurgundyBoy likes this

7 hours ago, delilas said:

Double and triple check your protein intake - protein is so important to healing. I know many abdominal patients who wear a binder as well after surgery, to help lessen any pulling on fragile skin. If they've started  you with a wound vac, you can't really wear a binder, but it's definitely something to consider after the vac comes off. 

Belly wounds are unfortunately the most common to dehisce - especially ones that leave vertical incisions like the Fleur de Lis does - and you may have done literally nothing wrong, but just had bad luck. I hope things improve for you soon, keep us updated!

My potien was upped to 100 before and after surgery wore a binder after surgery and over my wound vac..... I'm thinking its our bodies rejecting these darn stitches! 

Ladies thank you so much for your kind words.  I am 10 weeks out and think I have finally turned the corner.  I still have a small hole where the Fleur de Lis came together.  But much better.  The doctor is very happy now after 2 rounds of wound vac one with the silver gauze. 

Amber, wow that is a lot to go through.  I have had a number of stitches that they have had to pull out.  But mine would leak for a few hours and close up, lucky I guess.  I just think out poor bodies have gone through so much that they rebel on us at times. 

My doctor said he would do the scar revision for me at anytime in the future.  He laughed and said he knew I didn't want him coming close to me with a scalp anytime soon. 

Next steps are too heal and get back to walking and exercising.  I can't believe how much I miss that.

Thank you both,

Cherryl

BurgundyBoy and Amber76bailey like this

Wow, you guys are scaring me!  I had lower body lift (which includes tummy tuck) and inner thigh lift in March with absolutely no problems.  Well, except I developed a blood clot in my left popliteal vein the day after surgery but I'm not entirely convinced it was from the surgery as I had spent several hours on a plane a few days before surgery.

Anyway, I am scheduled for breast lift with implants and arm lift (bye bye bat wings!) next week and have been feeling pretty confident given the relatively easy recovery I had previously.  Yikes!  I am so sorry you have had to deal with all this and hope you soon are healed and healthy!

Amber76bailey and BurgundyBoy like this

Large incisions commonly dehisce. The skin has lost its collagen and elasticity and the tension of sutures are hard to maintain. My surgeon used glue and a few area still opened up, particularly in area where a hematoma or seroma develops. I nearly died during my plastic surgery; a few nasty scars were the least of my concerns. It was 3-4 months of healing, and skin generally doesn't get to 90% of it's prior strength for up to 2 years.  You can't see my scars now; I tattooed them over

Amber76bailey and delilas like this

You nearly died? What happened? :mellow:

On 7/6/2017 at 6:27 AM, Cherryl said:

Ladies thank you so much for your kind words.  I am 10 weeks out and think I have finally turned the corner.  I still have a small hole where the Fleur de Lis came together.  But much better.  The doctor is very happy now after 2 rounds of wound vac one with the silver gauze. 

Amber, wow that is a lot to go through.  I have had a number of stitches that they have had to pull out.  But mine would leak for a few hours and close up, lucky I guess.  I just think out poor bodies have gone through so much that they rebel on us at times. 

My doctor said he would do the scar revision for me at anytime in the future.  He laughed and said he knew I didn't want him coming close to me with a scalp anytime soon. 

Next steps are too heal and get back to walking and exercising.  I can't believe how much I miss that.

Thank you both,

Cherryl

I really think dry skin was a big part! Have had wound vac since maywirh no "real shower" so stitches were not soft enough to absorb or be brittle enough to come out easily with a tweezer

On 7/6/2017 at 7:00 AM, msmarymac said:

Wow, you guys are scaring me!  I had lower body lift (which includes tummy tuck) and inner thigh lift in March with absolutely no problems.  Well, except I developed a blood clot in my left popliteal vein the day after surgery but I'm not entirely convinced it was from the surgery as I had spent several hours on a plane a few days before surgery.

Anyway, I am scheduled for breast lift with implants and arm lift (bye bye bat wings!) next week and have been feeling pretty confident given the relatively easy recovery I had previously.  Yikes!  I am so sorry you have had to deal with all this and hope you soon are healed and healthy!

I think you will do great being that your last surgery went well without any complications! Blood clots can happen to bodybuilders, runners anyone! It was still worth the results in the end in my option! I went into Victoria's Secrets today to get a new push up bra she brought me at least for nothing would push up hahaha because my breasts are already where they should be there's no loose skin to do the Ole Pole from the bottom up and out of the bra! So I went with something that's actually without padding and very little wire and everything sits where it should be so I am so happy even though I've had a lot of bumps in the road no pun intended!

msmarymac likes this

On 7/8/2017 at 4:13 AM, summerset said:

You nearly died? What happened? :mellow:

Blood vessel didn't stay intact and bled out....it wasn't until I tried to get out of bed (in post op) and acting all confused that the nurse noted I soaked the bed in blood. Over to ED and 4 units of blood, emergency surgery to tie off the bleeders. 

12 minutes ago, lealphachienne said:

Blood vessel didn't stay intact and bled out....it wasn't until I tried to get out of bed (in post op) and acting all confused that the nurse noted I soaked the bed in blood. Over to ED and 4 units of blood, emergency surgery to tie off the bleeders. 

that must have sucked big time. Everyone I know who has had skin reduction surgery has said it was a WAY bigger deal than their WLS. 

Ok, your signature line includes TT Gym Rat #25. How does one / did one / ascend to Heaven as a Gym Rat? 

I'm one of the original Yahoo groups members. When ThinnerTimes got started, we found fun ways to identify ourselves. 

BurgundyBoy likes this

On 7/2/2017 at 3:13 PM, Amber76bailey said:

Cherryl, I had surgery April 14th, I have a wound vac also from having a post body lift and scare revision under my left breast from my September surgery which you can ready under my well I did it..... Post. So why complications with this surgery in April and not September when I had 4 surgeries this one was one with a revision?? Don't know..... My back scare line was healing fine and then one day boom I got a seroma 5 weeks after I was healing?? THEN I noticed my revsion scare was red, irritated and had a few holes. Sound familiar? So surgeon said it was stitch rejection and pulled out about 4 stitches, said it would get better now that the irritation would be gone. Nope...... I got holes everywhere he removed a stitch. The wound care clinic has been great by chasing all these little holes ( I feel like sally from nightmare before Christmas) they have tried medihoney, silversor, and about 4 other healing agence. My first theory was because I'm wearing the wound vac I was not taking showers and the skin was dry therefore the stitches where not softening and couldn't come out of my body so I started soaking the areas with Epsom salt and hot washcloths. Didn't work....  second theory was get on a good multivitamin but oh wait I developed a blood clot in my right leg from laying in bed for 3 straight weeks so I can't have K Vitamin, vegetables most fruits etc..... so I asked my pharmacist at the anticoagulation Clinic to switch me on the newer medications that don't work on the K Vitamin, now I am on a grass-fed collagen that goes in my protein shakes along with a probiotic, fiber that's added to my shakes and a liquid multivitamin with extra C a and b..... should I go on? I decided to try a salve that my husband came across by accident some lady locally makes this concoction he was trading car parts with her husband and somehow it came up about my wound healing issues she had thyroid cancer and had trouble getting her scar to heal so she made this concoction for that reason and now sells it. It is by far the only thing that has worked it smells wonderful it reminds me of the doctor Burt's Bees remedy they used to have you can put it on anything anywhere Burns cuts you name it. So now when I find any redness or a stitch that is wanting to pop out I put a little of this on and it has helped with the redness softened the skin and if there was a hole forming it's been closing within 24 hours.  my third Theory would be having any kind of weight loss through bariatric surgery we absorbed things differently I don't know if you do but alcohol medications vitamins everything I seem to absorb quickly but it leaves my body quickly so I don't know if I'm absorbing these internal stitches that our body is supposed to dissolve overtime? Or if it's just bad luck? It also doesn't make sense that I had no issues my first surgery which were four surgeries in one day versus one surgery but just like allergies you can become allergic to Seafood overnight I guess my body is not happy with these stitches. Also the wound care clinic nurse brought up a good point that the Stitch materials change a lot or the surgeons getting them from different places maybe this was a different material used this time versus my surgery in September? 

Sorry I know that was a lot of information but I would hate to see anyone go through what I have..... Everything was fine up to week 5! What the neck! And again a seroma is a fluid buildup that our bodies normally would just absorb on their own if they can't the seroma is then stuck and has to come out somewhere so even though my scar line was healed at that point that fluid buildup needed to escape somehow and left me with a huge I mean huge hole that's why I need the wound vac which I have had on since may 1 they said 2 to 3 weeks but I still have it on..... My "tunnel" was 9cm long and is now 1.5. So I'm getting there but will be left with a big scare to revise. Will I? Nope.... 

Amber - so sorry to hear you are taking the long way to healing. I have no doubt you will get there soon. I hope all is well and you continue to remain healthy! I am still doing well. It is amazing how much our lives can change by choosing to have WLS. I am amazed on a daily basis. I still stay away from Carbs and spend 3-4 nights a week in the gym. I changed jobs a few months ago ( I never would have looked preop) and am working closer to home ( 1.5 miles to be exact...LOL) Things are great. I am glad that I saw this post when I logged in. I do not get here often anymore, am glad people are still able to find support on TT. Take care, Mike