Beautneon

Looking for a support buddy just starting out

Hi. I am seriously considering WLS but have a long road of thinking and researching ahead of me. It would be so great to have someone who is also starting the journey. I am in Northeast PA. Anyone in this area?

Hi, Beautneon! I'm in King of Prussia, and started my journey in February. My gastric bypass surgery is set for July 11th. I would be very glad to try answer any questions you have and share my experience. This group is absolutely incredible...help, inspire, motivate, and just all around great people! 

Hi Trish! I just made my appt to see a doctor. They couldn't get me in till August. You'll have to keep me up on your journey. I'm in the Scranton area. 

Edited by Beautneon

That's so exciting! The first step is a big one, but filled with the prospect of a new healthy lifestyle. I saw in another thread you were thinking about a lap band, and as others pointed out, that is one not recommended much any longer. In fact, I don't think my surgeon even does them anymore. I'm having gastric bypass (RNY). Read up online (here & internet about the different types of surgeries so you can sort through them in your head and be able to talk easier with the Dr at your appointment. It's also good to go through the this site and jot down questions you can bring to your appointment.  There is a pre-op thread on the Forum Page, I believe, that has some good questions to ask, as well as some thoughts that others wrote that are definitely a must read. I will see if I can find tomorrow and let you know where they are. This surgery is not a quick fix, it's a tool for a lifetime of change. I tell myself- i got to eat everything I wanted for 47 years all on my terms. Now it is time to step it up and be the best & healthiest me I can be...for me and my family. It's a little scary, nerve racking, & more than anything - exciting! Go check out the before and after pics....wow! Constantly blown away! I'm excited for you as you begin to look into this journey. Keep me posted. 

Hi! I saw Dr for first time Jan 2017. Now 6 months later I have met all United health care requirements. I'm hoping to have my vertical sleeve surgery next month. 

Starting: 284

Current: 268

Hi :) I'm at the very beginning of my journey too. Hopefully I can get more information this week and feel like I really am started on the journey. If I am able to get WLS it'll have to be abroad since I have no insurance here in the states. I live in Miami, Fl but will likely have my surgery in Santiago, Chile. I'd love to be your buddy and find out more about you. It would be nice to have someone to talk to about all this. Especially since we're both so new to it. 

Hi!

My name is Toya, nice to meet you. I would love to be your buddy.

You are right I am new to this, but I am doing a lot of research and trying to change my eating to more healthier diet. It is so hard....I crave everything that I should not be eating. 

To be eligible for UHC to pay for my surgery I had to see a dietician for 6 months and they want you to lose 10 lbs. When I saw the surgeon 2 wks ago he said I lost 19 pounds. Yippeee! I was so happy. 

Now im just waiting for UHC to send approval to surgeon, then I can get an actual surgery date. 

Im sorry to hear that you have to pay for your own surgery. Is it less expensive in Chile?

Talk to you soon :-)

Hi Toya! Nice to meet you too. I am also trying to focus on healthier habits, for sure. My biggest hurdle (other than financial) is going to be to quit smoking cigarettes. :( But I know it's something I have to do if I want the surgery, and just overall for a healthier lifestyle. About the cost, yes. It's much less expensive in Chile. It's even cheaper in Mexico but at the end of the day, I wouldn't have anyone who would be able to travel with me, or know how to get around, etc. In Chile I have a bunch of family, 4 of which have had bariatric surgery. 3 of them had by-pass over 10 years ago (maybe closer to 20) & one just had the VSG about a year ago. I've also reached out to a clinic. I'm waiting to hear back now. Hope you have a good day. Let's chat some more in the evening! :)