Trish1967

50 pounds down since start of pre op diet!

61 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Honestly I think that's the best policy - don't expect a certain number of pounds to be gone by a certain date. I honestly don't see the point, so not sure why doctors even mention it, other than to give a general idea beforehand. I suppose it's some sort of externalized internal dialog. 

Doctor's internal dialog: "Well, what is the expected outcome at one month post-op? The data show that 73.8% of patients at one month post-op have lost at least 18.6% of their excess weight, which for this patient calculates to 24.8 pounds."

Doctor's externalized dialog: "I was expecting you to lose 25 pounds."

Patient's internal dialog: "I am a failure because I didn't live up to my doctor's expectations! Woe is me!" :(

Just keep doing what you're doing, Trish - it sounds like you are a model patient!

Yes, yes, yes...this is so true!! I love your analogy! I've decided to just "trust the process" like my son said, and keep doing what I'm doing. I've gotta get myself out of the state of mind where those damn numbers are so meaningful. I think it comes from decades of those numbers being the only way I've ever judged how well or poorly I was doing with the "flavor of the month" diet I was on at the time. I want the best outcome I can get, so I'm really trying to be a model patient. 

Along those lines, you would have been SO proud of me last night! I'll probably list this under the NSV thread too. Last night, my youngest daughter, her boyfriend and I took hubby Galactic Bowling for Father's Day (before anyone asks, I did not participate). Mind you, hubby has been doing a low carb diet and has lost just under 35 pounds so far. The three of them ordered cheeseburgers, fries and drinks. I ordered a pitcher of water!! Yay me!! I must admit, the food looked good, smelled good...but I wasn't even close to tempted to eat any of it!! And it felt amazing! I just kept reminding myself how bad a carb (or alcohol for that matter) hangover felt, and I wasn't having it. It also helped that, one lane over, there was a guy that probably weighed about 100 pounds more than I do. That would have been me without WLS. I feel like a small part of me is finally starting to battle those demons, and I'm actually starting to get stronger :) As a side note...my hubby hasn't really had much, carb wise, in almost 3 months. He threw everything up at about 4am. Needless to say, he won't be doing that again anytime soon. I do kind of wish I could have had that effect for myself before WLS...

39 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

I ordered a pitcher of water!! Yay me!!

Good for you! I hope you had fun during the evening, enjoying spending time with your family. I'm sorry your husband paid for the food experience the hard way :blink: Good for him doing low carb and going along with your program thus far, though. 

My husband had pasta when we went out for dinner for his birthday last week - he's been eating at least mostly like me (and has lost weight as well) - and hadn't had pasta in probably 5 months or so. After dinner he said, "You know, that wasn't really that good." 

I ran into an article on a study showing that WLS patients have a ripple effect on people around them:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/health/research/18patterns.html?mtrref=undefined

Sounds good to me!

2 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

I ran into an article on a study showing that WLS patients have a ripple effect on people around them

Thanks for all the articles you post! This one is a relief. I was worried, especially when going out, that my husband would eat his food as well as the food I didn't eat. I was worried about being a BAD influence.

Jen581791 and NerdyLady like this

@Gretta You may be a bad influence, but probably not about food... ;) 

Res Ipsa, NerdyLady and Trish13 like this

3 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Good for you! I hope you had fun during the evening, enjoying spending time with your family. I'm sorry your husband paid for the food experience the hard way :blink: Good for him doing low carb and going along with your program thus far, though. 

My husband had pasta when we went out for dinner for his birthday last week - he's been eating at least mostly like me (and has lost weight as well) - and hadn't had pasta in probably 5 months or so. After dinner he said, "You know, that wasn't really that good." 

I ran into an article on a study showing that WLS patients have a ripple effect on people around them:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/health/research/18patterns.html?mtrref=undefined

Sounds good to me!

I did have fun! Who knew you could have a good time NOT stuffing yourself so full of food that you make yourself sick! (Poor hubby). He's trying to go a little TOO low carb though, I think. He needs to find a better balance for himself. He's been craving carbs all week, and that hasn't happened since we started in March. I don't think he's eating enough...he tends to get so busy at work in the summer, he doesn't stop long enough to eat. 

I fully believe we have a ripple effect on our loved ones as we go through our process. That's a good thing, most definitely! I'm sorry your hubby didn't enjoy his meal as much as he'd have liked. I feel that getting pasta, or any other starchy carbs, out of our diets is really a plus. You don't realize just how crappy they make you feel until you eat them after a long hiatus from them. Even though I've been a diabetic since 2012, I still didn't realize the full effect of the damage those carbs had done to my body until my sugars were running between 350-500 on a regular basis for over 2 months. I've damaged my eyesight. Moderation is definitely key, but I was pretty much surviving on carbs prior to starting my pre op diet. I will have to be extremely careful letting any carbs back in once I'm maintaining. 

Thank you for the link :) I will read it as soon as I'm done taking my 18 night meds...one every 5 minutes, lol :mellow:

4 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

Even though I've been a diabetic since 2012, I still didn't realize the full effect of the damage those carbs had done to my body until my sugars were running between 350-500 on a regular basis for over 2 months. I've damaged my eyesight.

I'm just glad you decided to go down this WLS pathway - I'm sure it'll be be beneficial to your health in many ways. We can't take back what we did in the past, but we can change what we're doing right now, and you are :) 

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

8 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I'm just glad you decided to go down this WLS pathway - I'm sure it'll be be beneficial to your health in many ways. We can't take back what we did in the past, but we can change what we're doing right now, and you are :) 

Amen to that! I let my cancer diagnosis last year allow me to start using food as my drug of choice again. Big mistake. I gained back all 46 pounds I had lost pre op for the WLS when I was supposed to have it last year, but had to postpone. But it's in the past, and I am doing all the right stuff now to get healthy!!

Jen581791 and NerdyLady like this

On 5/30/2017 at 10:08 AM, Trish1967 said:

I'm 50 pounds down, as of this morning, since I started my pre op diet. And 16.4 since surgery. I noticed a difference in a pic taken on Christmas (same weight as pre~pre op, lol), so I hesitantly decided to post a face shot. Please be kind, as I've been losing my hair by the handfuls since well before my thyroid surgery last year, so yeah. But here goes...

IMG_6300.JPG

I was trying to put my finger on what was different about your photos when someone above said you look younger. You do! You also look happier in the second photo. :) I'm thrilled for you!

Trish1967 and Vaultgirl72 like this

On 6/18/2017 at 10:27 PM, Trish1967 said:

Amen to that! I let my cancer diagnosis last year allow me to start using food as my drug of choice again. Big mistake. I gained back all 46 pounds I had lost pre op for the WLS when I was supposed to have it last year, but had to postpone. But it's in the past, and I am doing all the right stuff now to get healthy!!

Who among us hasn't turned to food in times of stress? You have the right attitude by telling yourself that this was all in the past. We are all in this together and working towards healthier selves! :)

Trish1967 likes this

On June 22, 2017 at 1:53 PM, NerdyLady said:

I was trying to put my finger on what was different about your photos when someone above said you look younger. You do! You also look happier in the second photo. :) I'm thrilled for you!

Looking younger is a definitely plus, considering I turned 50 in April...so thank you very much!! And I'm definitely happier in the second pic :) Although the first pic was taken on Christmas Eve and I was holding my little guy (cropped out), I was miserable in my skin. 

Clickin and NerdyLady like this

On June 22, 2017 at 1:55 PM, NerdyLady said:

Who among us hasn't turned to food in times of stress? You have the right attitude by telling yourself that this was all in the past. We are all in this together and working towards healthier selves! :)

We have all certainly turned to food in times of stress, or most of us wouldn't be here. There is a pretty high rate of recurrence with thyroid cancer, but the treatment is considerably milder than that of other cancers, so I'm not worrying about it unless it happens again. So it is in the past, where it belongs. It's really comforting knowing that we are all in this together, and that we all understand what each other is going through! Healthy here we come!! :):):) 

Trish13 and NerdyLady like this