Trish1967

50 pounds down since start of pre op diet!

OMGEEEEEE!!!!! You look great!! You can definitely see the changes in your face and neck, no doubt! I actually think you look a few years younger in the new picture. I am impressed and really happy for you!! :D  How are you feeling?

Edited by Trish13

On May 31, 2017 at 5:13 PM, Trish13 said:

OMGEEEEEE!!!!! You look great!! You can definitely see the changes in your face and neck, no doubt! I actually think you look a few years younger in the new picture. I am impressed and really happy for you!! :D  How are you feeling?

Thank you so much!!! Looking younger is always a good thing!! :) Your post makes me feel so good :wub: I am feeling great, actually. Other than the fatigue, no problems. I don't even feel like I had surgery 16 days ago, lol :) 

4 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

Thank you so much!!! Looking younger is always a good thing!! :) Your post makes me feel so good :wub: I am feeling great, actually. Other than the fatigue, no problems. I don't even feel like I had surgery 16 days ago, lol :) 

THAT is amazing, Trish!! I am so incredibly happy for you - you deserve it! My surgery feels so far, yet so close. It is on 7/11 - I go to my Dr for PreOp on the 19th and I will find out then my exact start date for my pre-op 3 week liquid diet....kind of think it will start on the 20th. I'm hoping they will be nice and only make me do it for 2 weeks, but I am doubtful that will happen...lol! Well keep up the great work - you are definitely inspiring me! :D

1 hour ago, Trish13 said:

THAT is amazing, Trish!! I am so incredibly happy for you - you deserve it! My surgery feels so far, yet so close. It is on 7/11 - I go to my Dr for PreOp on the 19th and I will find out then my exact start date for my pre-op 3 week liquid diet....kind of think it will start on the 20th. I'm hoping they will be nice and only make me do it for 2 weeks, but I am doubtful that will happen...lol! Well keep up the great work - you are definitely inspiring me! :D

It is amazing...I never expected to feel this good after surgery. I never had any pain afterward...surgical or gas pain. My only problem was some pretty rancid nausea that lasted about 7 hours after surgery. Once that was gone, things were much better :) 

7/11 is pretty close now, you must be excited!! The liquid diet is to shrink your liver, so the longer you do it the better, unfortunately. I got lucky. My pre op diet was for 8 weeks, but I got to eat real food. They basically had me on Atkins, but it was only about 800 calories a day and 30g carbs. It was doable. I lost 34 pounds pre op (and 18 since surgery). I only had to do liquids for 3 days prior to surgery (clear) and a week after. You probably figured right, they will most likely start your liquids the day after your appointment. I wish you lots of luck, and I'll be rooting for you!!! You can do this! :) 

I hit 55 pounds down this morning! And 20.8 since surgery 3 weeks ago today :) 

That's Excellent Trish!

1 hour ago, cinwa said:

That's Excellent Trish!

Thank you!! Exciting! :D

Wow 20 lbs in 3 weeks. Awesome!!!  Congrats !!

Aw, Trish! I love these pics! You can totally see the change. I think you look beautiful, I hope you one day see what I see! 

Edited by bellamoma
Typos

22 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

I hit 55 pounds down this morning! And 20.8 since surgery 3 weeks ago today :) 

OMG....you're a star loser. Not meaning to compare but I'm 5 weeks out today and only down 16lb in that time. That said I'm happy with my losses so far and hopefully coming out of my two week stall.

7 hours ago, Aussie H said:

OMG....you're a star loser. Not meaning to compare but I'm 5 weeks out today and only down 16lb in that time. That said I'm happy with my losses so far and hopefully coming out of my two week stall.

16 pounds is awesome!! Be THRILLED with your loss!! Don't ever say "only" 16 pounds!!

I don't know how I've lost 20 so far, because the loss has slowed wayyy down. I lost like 12 pounds in one week, then the rest is bits and pieces. I'm probably jinxing myself by saying this, but I haven't hit my stall yet, so that's probably one of the reasons. But I'm sure it's coming. If you've lost 16 pounds and you've been in a 2 week stall, I'd say you are the star loser here!! I'm trying not to let my losses get me too excited or stress me out. I just keep telling myself that I'm 20 pounds closer to my goal and leave it at that :) 

I have my post op appointment a week from today, so we'll see what he thinks about all of this. 

21 hours ago, bellamoma said:

Aw, Trish! I love these pics! You can totally see the change. I think you look beautiful, I hope you one day see what I see! 

:wub: Thank you :) You are very kind to say those sweet things! I may not be able to see it yet, but my clothes are loose, so yay for baggy clothes!

i just looked at your ticker...phenomenal job!!

Edited by Trish1967

On June 7, 2017 at 2:59 PM, tracyringo said:

Wow 20 lbs in 3 weeks. Awesome!!!  Congrats !!

Thank you, Tracy!!! :) 

Dang girl - you're gonna melt away to nothing!!! :D I'm so incredibly happy for you - I know you've got to be feeling so much better!! 

On June 11, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Trish13 said:

Dang girl - you're gonna melt away to nothing!!! :D I'm so incredibly happy for you - I know you've got to be feeling so much better!! 

Oh boy...I could only hope to melt away to nothing, lol! I'll just be happy to get to my doctor's projected weight for me of 184. My personal goal is 160, but idk if that is realistic or not. I'm down 23.6 since surgery, and I'm happy with that so far. Just like the rest of us, I'm concerned that my weight loss has slowed down. I promised my surgeon's PA that I would only weigh myself once a week now, because she said the weight loss can be very erratic and it causes less stress to stay off the scale every day. So that's what I'm going to do :) I'm sticking to the plan rigidly, so there really isn't anything more I can do to make the weight come off any faster. I'm just gonna try to relax about it, and as my son tells me...trust the process!!

On 6/2/2017 at 1:34 PM, Trish13 said:

@Trish13 Keep us up to date on how you are doing... time will fly by. If you do 3 weeks and not 2, just tell yourself this is making sure your surgery is as safe as possible ... and as a bonus you may get a few extra pounds lost out of it. ^_^ 

2 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

Oh boy...I could only hope to melt away to nothing, lol! I'll just be happy to get to my doctor's projected weight for me of 184. My personal goal is 160, but idk if that is realistic or not. I'm down 23.6 since surgery, and I'm happy with that so far. Just like the rest of us, I'm concerned that my weight loss has slowed down. I promised my surgeon's PA that I would only weigh myself once a week now, because she said the weight loss can be very erratic and it causes less stress to stay off the scale every day. So that's what I'm going to do :) I'm sticking to the plan rigidly, so there really isn't anything more I can do to make the weight come off any faster. I'm just gonna try to relax about it, and as my son tells me...trust the process!!

@Trish1967 just keep putting those feet in from of one another... Soon you'll be clicking your heels, and skipping down your driveway. Smart to just weigh once a week. So much of this is the mental battle. 

49 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@Trish1967 just keep putting those feet in from of one another... Soon you'll be clicking your heels, and skipping down your driveway. Smart to just weigh once a week. So much of this is the mental battle. 

It really is a mental battle...much more than I was anticipating. Not the food part for me, but the "the weight's not coming off as fast as I thought it would" part. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with where I'm at so far. I just thought it'd be different than it is. I'm walking as much as I can handle, which still isn't much. But it's still a little more than I could before. :) 

7 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

It really is a mental battle...much more than I was anticipating. Not the food part for me, but the "the weight's not coming off as fast as I thought it would" part. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with where I'm at so far. I just thought it'd be different than it is. I'm walking as much as I can handle, which still isn't much. But it's still a little more than I could before. :) 

I totally agree about the mental battle. As time goes on, I am more and more satisfied with the losses, but my mind will not listen to logic: I know I'm losing fast (3.5 pounds per week), particularly compared with previous "going on a diet" experiments of the past, but for some reason it SEEMS slow. Hey, brain, your body has lost 75 pounds in 5 months! That's a lot! Be happy! And yet I still feel impatient for some reason... Weird.

Walking a little bit has got to be so much better than not walking at all. I'm so happy for you :) It all gets better from here.

7 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I totally agree about the mental battle. As time goes on, I am more and more satisfied with the losses, but my mind will not listen to logic: I know I'm losing fast (3.5 pounds per week), particularly compared with previous "going on a diet" experiments of the past, but for some reason it SEEMS slow. Hey, brain, your body has lost 75 pounds in 5 months! That's a lot! Be happy! And yet I still feel impatient for some reason... Weird.

Walking a little bit has got to be so much better than not walking at all. I'm so happy for you :) It all gets better from here.

You are making tremendous progress, Jen!! 3.5 pounds a week and 75 pounds down is amazing!! When things don't go as we plan, Our logic doesn't seem to make as much sense to us. I think my logic is a little off kilter. I understand that although the weight loss can be erratic, no two people are the same. But there's one thing I don't get. At my post op visit, I expressed my concern about only having lost about 5 pounds since the beginning of the month. She said that was totally normal, and there may be several weeks when I don't lose anything. But in the next breath, she says she wants me down another 20 pounds by my next visit. Doesn't that seem like the doctor (PA) is contradicting herself, and putting undue pressure on me? I am now, and will continue to, follow my post op plan to the letter. And walk as much as I can. But what happens if I DON'T manage to lose that 20 pounds by then? Staying off the scale daily is all well and good. But that's not going to make me lose any faster, right? Ugh! 

5 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

You are making tremendous progress, Jen!! 3.5 pounds a week and 75 pounds down is amazing!! When things don't go as we plan, Our logic doesn't seem to make as much sense to us. I think my logic is a little off kilter. I understand that although the weight loss can be erratic, no two people are the same. But there's one thing I don't get. At my post op visit, I expressed my concern about only having lost about 5 pounds since the beginning of the month. She said that was totally normal, and there may be several weeks when I don't lose anything. But in the next breath, she says she wants me down another 20 pounds by my next visit. Doesn't that seem like the doctor (PA) is contradicting herself, and putting undue pressure on me? I am now, and will continue to, follow my post op plan to the letter. And walk as much as I can. But what happens if I DON'T manage to lose that 20 pounds by then? Staying off the scale daily is all well and good. But that's not going to make me lose any faster, right? Ugh! 

I do think it's putting pressure on you, and I don't think that's a good thing. Here's what I wrote last night about exactly that (link below). I think a lot of health care workers automatically suspect patients with weight problems of being noncompliant. I, like you, and being totally compliant. I ate two potato chips yesterday, which is the very first time since January that I ate something a NUT would raise eyebrows at. I'd say that's pretty compliant! My team hasn't given me any particular weight loss goals, which is good because if they had, I certainly wouldn't have met them. It seems a little like a doctor giving a patient a deadline to recover from an illness - it's not really up to the patient. As long as the patient is following the plan, they're doing what they can.

43 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I do think it's putting pressure on you, and I don't think that's a good thing. Here's what I wrote last night about exactly that (link below). I think a lot of health care workers automatically suspect patients with weight problems of being noncompliant. I, like you, and being totally compliant. I ate two potato chips yesterday, which is the very first time since January that I ate something a NUT would raise eyebrows at. I'd say that's pretty compliant! My team hasn't given me any particular weight loss goals, which is good because if they had, I certainly wouldn't have met them. It seems a little like a doctor giving a patient a deadline to recover from an illness - it's not really up to the patient. As long as the patient is following the plan, they're doing what they can.

You hit the nail on the head with your post! I don't want to make it sound like she was shaming me...she thought 23 pounds was good for the first month out. But expecting 20 more by a certain date kind of goes against everything she said about how unstable the weight loss is. She said "You lost 23 pounds in less than a month. You should have no trouble losing another 20 by the end of August." Realistically, I should be able to lose 40 by then. But I'll just be setting myself for disappointment if I expect a certain number of pounds to be gone and it's not. I was certain I would be one of those really fast losers and lose 40 the first month. That's not the case.

As far as being non compliant...NEVER. Yet, I'm terrified that's exactly what they are going to think if I don't lose as much as I'm expected to in the next couple of months. How can you prove that you didn't cheat? It's almost like a passive aggressive approach and I don't like it. My daughter's boyfriend's mother had WLS 2 years ago. She was the epitome of non compliant. She tried to eat a cheeseburger 3 weeks out, and vomited. She has eaten tons of stuff off plan, had alcohol less than 6 months out, etc. She lost about 130 pounds in 11 months. It's just so unfair. Not that I want to do any of that stuff, it's just so frustrating. 

1 hour ago, Jen581791 said:

I ate two potato chips yesterday, which is the very first time since January that I ate something a NUT would raise eyebrows at. I'd say that's pretty compliant! 

Umm, yeah!! I'd say that's pretty compliant too!! Sorry I read right over this as I was reading your post!

5 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

But I'll just be setting myself for disappointment if I expect a certain number of pounds to be gone and it's not.

Honestly I think that's the best policy - don't expect a certain number of pounds to be gone by a certain date. I honestly don't see the point, so not sure why doctors even mention it, other than to give a general idea beforehand. I suppose it's some sort of externalized internal dialog. 

Doctor's internal dialog: "Well, what is the expected outcome at one month post-op? The data show that 73.8% of patients at one month post-op have lost at least 18.6% of their excess weight, which for this patient calculates to 24.8 pounds."

Doctor's externalized dialog: "I was expecting you to lose 25 pounds."

Patient's internal dialog: "I am a failure because I didn't live up to my doctor's expectations! Woe is me!" :(

Just keep doing what you're doing, Trish - it sounds like you are a model patient!

Edited by Jen581791

Spot on @Jen581791

This is how two people speaking the same language can fail to communicate.