Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beautneon

Is it worth it?

11 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm just in the thinking stage and looking for feedback. It's a scary thought right now. How did you decide? Have you had any problems or missing not being able to eat certain foods anymore? Any regrets?

Thanks

Main regret is not doing this sooner.

athenarose likes this

11 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Main regret is not doing this sooner.

150,000% agreed. Best decision I ever made.

Beautneon, no idea about your circumstances but for me... bad back and joints, sleep apnea interfered with my spouse's sleep, barely keeping diabetes snd hypertension at bay... I gain 13 THIRTEEN years of healthy life if I get to normal BMI. A bit Scary to have surgery but why die early? I chose life.

Cheesehead likes this

2 hours ago, Beautneon said:

Hi. I'm just in the thinking stage and looking for feedback. It's a scary thought right now. How did you decide? Have you had any problems or missing not being able to eat certain foods anymore? Any regrets?

Thanks

Im interested in why you have decided on the band. If you are going to put yourself through surgery then why aren't you considering the procedures with a higher degree of success and little to no later complications. Although the band was never an option in my circumstances, I wouldn't have wanted the ongoing hassles of getting adjustments, let alone the risks of later band slippage, potential stomach erosion or port movement or infection. I'm really surprised anyone actually chooses bands anymore when many surgeons won't even do them. In Australia no publicly funded hospitals even offer them anymore.

@Aussie H has a point... Here in metroBoston area I don't think anyone is doing them anymore. Not very effective compared to other approaches, and more hassles / infections / re-operations. If you are open to further consideration would look into other options besides band. (I had a sleeve gastrectomy and chose it in large part because it was effective, and I would not have a foreign body inside me - foreign bodies are a place for infections to occur).

athenarose, bellamoma and Jen581791 like this

13 hours ago, Beautneon said:

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

@Aussie H Is correct, spend some time on this forum and do the research, you will see the Band is fraught with complication and failure.

I am almost 5 months into my 6-month pre-op program, for Gastric Bypass. I'm 42 years old and have 5 kids, the oldest just turned 13 and the youngest will soon be 3. I am Type 2 diabetic, have high blood pressure, and lately my knees have begun hurting. If I carry my two youngest up a flight of stairs, my knees will punish me a moment later. I've been dieting for over 15 years off and on and by my best measure, have lost well over 300 lbs and put it back on. If nothing changes in my life, I can expect an early grave and maybe not even know grandchildren. As is, if I continue to manage my T2 diabetes as aggressively as I have been the last 4 months (while on the pre-op diet), I can expect to have to finger prick and test blood sugars multiple times a day. I am embarrassed that the folks at my local pharmacy know me by name.

Do I enjoy food? Of course I do! Everyone does. But my relationship with food has been killing me! I am at the point now where in spite of my love for pizza, cereal, and all the rest of it-- if I can get a tool that will help me get the weight off, but require that I make significant changes to my thinking and habits where food is concerned-- sign me up!! The first week of my pre-op diet WAS a little rough, lol. But I am focused on- no more diabetes! Not being the fattest dad at my kids' events! Knees that can be pushed to the limits with minimal complaining! No more CPAP machine! Buying clothes that FIT off the rack! Honestly, surgery day for me cannot come soon enough! By the way I'm doing excellent on the diet. Over 20 pounds down, and my A1C is now 5.5 where in January it was was 8.4.

You said "it's a scary thought right now" and I can understand that, truly. Sometimes twice a day I get butterflies in my stomach from nervousness thinking about going under the (laparoscopic) knife. But the scariest thing of ALL to me is life without any of these things changing! As they say- the biggest risk, is NOT taking one!

Good luck my friend!

1 hour ago, Michael_A said:

the biggest risk, is NOT taking one!

Well said, Michael.

I didn't have any big health issues before surgery (my blood pressure and cholesterol are better than my NUT's, no blood sugar issues, etc), but I was sure living life like an old person. Like you, I'm 42, so thinking more seriously about what life will be like in the second half - sitting around watching the world go by and avoiding situations/activities that made me uncomfortable due to my weight sure didn't feel much like living. Giving up pizza, ice cream, chips, pasta, alcohol, etc sounded like a pretty fair trade for getting my life back! 

Wish I'd done this years ago.

Trish13, tracyringo, Raddy and 2 others like this

3 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@Aussie H has a point... Here in metroBoston area I don't think anyone is doing them anymore. Not very effective compared to other approaches, and more hassles / infections / re-operations. If you are open to further consideration would look into other options besides band. (I had a sleeve gastrectomy and chose it in large part because it was effective, and I would not have a foreign body inside me - foreign bodies are a place for infections to occur).

Yes to all this. I just realized that this is in the band sub-forum. My doctor won't even do bands anymore because of the poor outcomes. So, I should rephrase my above statement to say that having gastric bypass was the best decision I've ever made.

Aussie H likes this

For many when they reach goal they do have a cookie or slice of pizza.  We make a whole wheat crust.  If work caters pizza I take the cheese and toppings off, still tastes like pizza.  I can eat anything I want, except fried foods make me sick, but then with going with a healthy lifestyle fried foods don't have any part of.  We recently returned from vacation and I did have a couple pieces of flan and a coconut macaroon just about everyday.  I still came home 3 1/2 pounds less than when I left.  By choice I don't eat bread, rice or pasta.  I had a Diet Pepsi habit before surgery that could have killed a normal person.  Can't sand the taste anymore.  

The time immediately after surgery (usually 9-18 months) is referred to the honeymoon period; the weight comes off easily and it this time that you developed a new relationship with food.  Food is not my friend, it's something that sustains me.  

Go to an information session if you can.  

i regret not having my VSG sooner. Wasting precious years feeling uncomfortable in my own skin, a slave to my sugar addiction.

You can choose to eat whatever you want, once you get to to that stage of your recovery. However, that is a recipe for blowing your honeymoon period and regain.  WLS is a big deal, you have to be in it to win it if you don't want to waste this once in a lifetime gift.  There's a lot of head work that must be done- why did you get to the point of needing WLS? Sure, some of us have a genetic predisposition. But beyond that, what made you eat your way up to your current weight? Whatever the reason, you will need to address it and find new ways to cope with your emotions in order to be successful.   

When i decided to cut out sweets, i was a bit sad. Thankfully, early out post op, the sweetness of the protein shakes made me gag. I couldn't stand anything sweet at all. This helped me "detox" from sweets. I do miss the idea of the sweets I loved, but I love not having intense carb/sugar cravings. I've learned that there are some indulgence foods (french fries, chips) that don't trigger me like sweets do, even though they have carbs. So occasionally i will have a few fries, or something fried, or a few chips. I have no problem having a small serving and moving on. You will see that there are foods that trigger you to over eat and some that don't.  It takes time to figure all of this out, it is a process. It is so very worth it, though. Stick around and ask lots of questions. We're here to help! 

Trish13, Havamal, slars04 and 2 others like this