Carina

What clothing have you retired today/this week/this month?

Yesterday I wore a dress I had tucked away in my closet that I bought for a wedding about 9 years ago and I stopped fitting into. It was so loose on the top I ended up having to staple it closed (work with what you've got) before a meeting.

I retired like 4 huge bags of clothing today! I'm getting ready to make a big move, so paring down to essentials is necessary - I tried on everything. If it didn't fit, out the door to the Goodwill. I was brutal, but my wardrobe will be better for it.

Some highlights/lowlights: My lovely fake-fur-trimmed-hood winter coat that I spent forever shopping for and liked so much :( My North Face down jacket :( My favorite grayish purple work sweater :( My nice work linen trousers :( A whole bunch of things I never really liked because they "made me look fat" lol :) Pretty sure it was not the fault of the clothes...

I also found some stuff in my storage unit that fits now and hasn't fit in years, including some cute "going out" type clothes and a pretty sundress :) 

It's so much less emotionally painful to try on clothes that have become too big than those that have become too small. 

Out with the old! In with the new.

I took a big baggie the clothing drop at our Community Center - not because anything was too big - I was just sick and tired of them taking up space in my wardrobe.

As a puffy girl, it was the norm to have several sizes because I was a professional yo-yo dieter.  But to retire stuff that still fits is a novelty I still can't get my head around.

I put a pre op top and some newish shorts in the donation pile. I was walking down a corridor and saw myself from far away. I have crummy vision, so I sadly thought that I didn't look much different. When I got close to the mirror, I saw that my outfit was so ill fitting that it made me look frumpy.

Newish shorts are a size 14, but have stretch in them. Turns out that was not a good choice, because they bagged and sagged all over.

1 hour ago, cinwa said:

I took a big baggie the clothing drop at our Community Center - not because anything was too big - I was just sick and tired of them taking up space in my wardrobe.

As a puffy girl, it was the norm to have several sizes because I was a professional yo-yo dieter.  But to retire stuff that still fits is a novelty I still can't get my head around.

I imagine it's hard to get used to getting rid of stuff that "still fits" after a lifetime of the opposite!

56 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

I put a pre op top and some newish shorts in the donation pile. I was walking down a corridor and saw myself from far away. I have crummy vision, so I sadly thought that I didn't look much different. When I got close to the mirror, I saw that my outfit was so ill fitting that it made me look frumpy.

Newish shorts are a size 14, but have stretch in them. Turns out that was not a good choice, because they bagged and sagged all over.

Banish the frumpy!

I only kept one pair of pants as a reminder of how far I've come. The rest went to family or goodwill. All I have now are clothes that fit. XS-S on the top and sz 4-6 on the bottom. Most things I've had for about a 12-18 months so they still look new and I'm thrilled with them! I can't imagine parting with clothes that still fit but I know the time will come. Such a foreign concept after all the years of having to go to the next size up!

Another pair of black jeans, just a month or so old.

A pair of shorts, also a month or so old.

A t-shirt I have been wearing to the gym. It's flapping around me so much.

Too many clothes to count. Dresses, t-shirts and shorts. I gave away about ten skirts that I had been saving for the day I got thin. Poof, they are now too big! I'm trying to minimize the amount of clothing I own, so if it's in the least bit baggy, it's out! 

4 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

Too many clothes to count. Dresses, t-shirts and shorts. I gave away about ten skirts that I had been saving for the day I got thin. Poof, they are now too big! I'm trying to minimize the amount of clothing I own, so if it's in the least bit baggy, it's out! 

Doing the same @NerdyLady. I'll be hitting my wardrobe again this week. This time I'm planning to be especially brutal. Going into a leg cast for 3 months means my already loose jeans will be completely useless by the time I could even think about wearing them again. I had saved some older loose jumpers for gardening etc, but wore one the other day and was swimming in it. Didn't keep me warm at all with all the wind blowing and lifting it up.

I got rid of two pairs of capri's a few days ago. They were having an awesome sale, at Kmart of all places, on capris and leggings (yes, I'm a leggings girl...I know, I know, but I always have been. And yes my butt is always covered as I wear long tops) So I bought two pairs of capris and one pair of leggings. They were extra large. A few months ago I would have been in 2x-3x. That's all I've been able to get rid of so far, because I DO wear leggings most of the time, so you can lose a lot and still have them fit. Second time in two months I've been able to buy clothes "off the rack" though :D

As I promised myself, today was a huge cleanout for me. Two bags to charity, and two more huge bags, one to my sister, the other to a friend. I also have a heap of stuff to go in the bin. There were only a couple of special hoodies that should have gone but I couldn't quite part with them yet. I have no more bags of clothes in the wardrobe. I have kept all my old jeans...Just have this dream that one day I'll find the time to turn them into a denim quilt.....it won't happen, but for now I still consider it a possibility.

I was wearing 4x shirts and 54" jeans. I'm now wearing 2x shirts, XL shorts, and I just bought a pair of 40" jeans! So exciting to not have to go the Big & Tall section to buy clothes and I'm definitely not tall!

That's quite a dramatic change in clothe sizes Chefman77 - congratulations!

I took a couple pairs of pants to the thrift store. Also another T-shirt.

Do thrift stores accept bras?? :)/:(

@Carina Yes, they do accept bras as long as they are in very good condition (no tears, stains, strains in fabric). Some of the thrifts I've gone too have had brand new bras!

30 minutes ago, CurvyMermaid said:

@Carina Yes, they do accept bras as long as they are in very good condition (no tears, stains, strains in fabric). Some of the thrifts I've gone too have had brand new bras!

@Carina @CurvyMermaid

Some thrift stores make a profit by selling fabric to recycling companies. Your bra might not always make it on the retail floor but it might have new life as something else!

At the start of my surgery I was fortunate enough to be given boxes filled with clothes in smaller sizes. This weekend I moved all but one of the boxes of clothes into my closet and unpacked it. I filled them back up to the brim with clothes that were too big and gave them to another girl who had just recently had surgery. Great feeling!

Finally.....I have gotten over my "clothing mental hurdle" and have a full trash bag of bigger clothes to donate on Friday. :)

Edited by TammyP

Went through my closet and tried everything on. I ended up with two of those large reusable grocery bags full to take to the thrift store!

Need to tackle the chest of drawers next....

I was a 22\24 now I am a 6\8 , almost a year Sept 6. Still hard for me to wrap my head around this, I still shop at thrift stores. I went to Macy one time and got 2 pairs of pants I got both pair tight, I got to wear one pair 4 times the other pair 1 time. So, I just stay at the thrift stores it's still hard to find clothes that fit good.  What fits my tummy is way to big for my legs but I am still happy!!!!

When it gets cold I will have to buy some pants and a new winter coat