Carina

What clothing have you retired today/this week/this month?

61 posts in this topic

Yay @ktallon!

Well, this is a sort of reverse clothing story...

I had a leather jacket - looks like what pilots wore in WW II. Thick heavy leather, big warm sheep skin collar, zipper that could stitch together two sails. Indestructible. Gave it to my 6' 4" son since I couldn't even close it with the zipper. 

Yesterday I tried it on as my son had been wearing it - can't say it's loose, because it wasn't, BUT I got into it! 

My wife swooned to see it fit again. 

LeeC, Jen581791, xmandy and 7 others like this

This weekend I had friends come to visit and I gave her 4 trash bags filled with clothes. Before the surgery I had started wearing an 18/20 but refused to buy much so I just wore a lot of stretchy pants and dresses and had a closet full of 16's that no longer fit. I am now weeding out the 16's and replacing them slowly with 14's.

One of my best friends recently lost a ton of weight and has provided me with 14's, 12's and 10's along my journey. I can't wait to be in a 10. A size I have never seen in my adult life.

athenarose, LeeC, Trish1967 and 3 others like this

I've gotten rid of all my bigger clothes (just passed some size 8 jeans along to my ex-MIL who had WLS 6 months after me), but I just realized that my size 2 jeans are getting baggy. I'm hesitant to get rid of them since I just started working out and I'm hoping to gain a little muscle in my backside, but I need to buy jeans that fit. I'm also bummed that I have a couple beautiful summer dresses that are a medium and way too baggy to wear. Such a good, but odd problem to have. I never dreamed I would even be in a single digit size, much less a 0/2.

Trish13, LeeC, Carina and 5 others like this

19 hours ago, athenarose said:

I've gotten rid of all my bigger clothes (just passed some size 8 jeans along to my ex-MIL who had WLS 6 months after me), but I just realized that my size 2 jeans are getting baggy. I'm hesitant to get rid of them since I just started working out and I'm hoping to gain a little muscle in my backside, but I need to buy jeans that fit. I'm also bummed that I have a couple beautiful summer dresses that are a medium and way too baggy to wear. Such a good, but odd problem to have. I never dreamed I would even be in a single digit size, much less a 0/2.

Do you know anyone that can alter the dresses for you? If you do, that's a good option. Especially if you like the dresses. My hubby has done that for me in the past with tops. I'm so thankful his grandmother taught him how to sew when he was young! Lol :) 

Just now, Trish1967 said:

Do you know anyone that can alter the dresses for you? If you do, that's a good option. Especially if you like the dresses. My hubby has done that for me in the past with tops. I'm so thankful his grandmother taught him how to sew when he was young! Lol :) 

That's a good idea! The material is a light, gauzy type so I'm not sure how easily they can be altered, but I like the idea.  I'll have to look into that. Thank you!

Trish1967 likes this

1 hour ago, athenarose said:

That's a good idea! The material is a light, gauzy type so I'm not sure how easily they can be altered, but I like the idea.  I'll have to look into that. Thank you!

No problem!! My husband is a jack of all trades, and that saves us a lot of money. Who doesn't like to save money and also get to keep some of the clothing you like? :) 

athenarose likes this

On 5/28/2017 at 0:37 PM, Cheesehead said:

Keep a starting pair of pants!  See if you can fit into one leg when you reach goal.  Also nice to pull out old clothes and see how far you've come;). I've kept the jeans and shirt I went to the hospital in. I've also kept my xxl tshirts for night shirt-I like loose and they definately fit the bill!

This is a fantastic idea! I dug through my Goodwill bag for the jeans and top I wore to the hospital. Those are staying with me forever. 

Trish13, Cheesehead and Trish1967 like this

I have far too many clothes so I took this time to weed out my closet. I packed up three large bags of clothing for a women's shelter. Consider donating your larger sized clothes to homeless shelters, as they tend to get smaller sizes as donations. 

Bye bye size 18/20!

Aussie H, LeeC, Smashlee83 and 7 others like this

My wife "suggested" (well, made me) haul up a bunch of shirts I had put into a basement closet and forgotten about 10 or 12 years ago .. they were too small so consigned to the closet. So, going through them now, most are TOO BIG.

One exception: I just found one shirt that I had made for me in Bangkok (Perry's on Silom Road) in 1989. IT FITS. So I have turned my size back 28 years. Now I just have to keep losing and get my weight back down to pre-1982, which is when I gained 60 lbs. 

... and, excepting this one, all of my TOO SMALL shirts are TOO BIG and going for donation. How cool is that??

On 5/27/2017 at 6:23 PM, Trish1967 said:

I haven't retired anything yet, but I'm wearing one of my smaller tops and a smaller pair of pants that I saved from when I was at a lower weight :) My current clothing is getting very loose on me though, lol. I did, however, get my wedding rings on!! And they're comfortable!! 

image.jpg

How are those rings doing Trish?

Trish1967 likes this

2 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

How are those rings doing Trish?

They're doing great!! I love being able to wear them again :) 

Trish13 likes this

All my winter clothes got bagged up and donated except for a few pair of size 16 jeans that I never got a chance to wear. In my head I tell myself by next winter they will be way too big, but I just cant give them up yet.

I retired a striped T-shirt I used for the gym. It was so baggy I was revealing stuff to other gym goers. :P

Jen581791, athenarose and NerdyLady like this

I retired six pairs of shorts that were falling off of me. I tried to post a pic but the I kept getting an error. 

I also retired a size 2x dress! Woot!

Carina and Jen581791 like this

3 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

I tried to post a pic but the I kept getting an error. 

I had to get a picture resizing app to post pics here.

NerdyLady likes this

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:32 PM, NerdyLady said:

I have far too many clothes so I took this time to weed out my closet. I packed up three large bags of clothing for a women's shelter. Consider donating your larger sized clothes to homeless shelters, as they tend to get smaller sizes as donations. 

Bye bye size 18/20!

Why didn't I think of this? I have a large stack of dress clothes for work size 16 that I've been wondering what to do with. Just emailed star of hope to see if they are needed. :)

35 minutes ago, Smashlee83 said:

Why didn't I think of this? I have a large stack of dress clothes for work size 16 that I've been wondering what to do with. Just emailed star of hope to see if they are needed. :)

Hooray! I'm sure your shelter will be pleased. It's tough for women to reenter the workforce if they don't have appropriate clothing for interviews and their place of employment. If they won't take it, you can also contact your local refugee agency. 

BurgundyBoy likes this

9 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

I retired six pairs of shorts that were falling off of me. I tried to post a pic but the I kept getting an error. 

I also retired a size 2x dress! Woot!

6 hours ago, Gretta said:

I had to get a picture resizing app to post pics here.

shrinkpictures.com works well - 600 pixels.  You can also resize a picture to avatar size there:  http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

NerdyLady likes this

On 7/7/2017 at 8:25 AM, NerdyLady said:

Hooray! I'm sure your shelter will be pleased. It's tough for women to reenter the workforce if they don't have appropriate clothing for interviews and their place of employment. If they won't take it, you can also contact your local refugee agency. 

Make that seven pairs of shorts and a pair of 3x pants. :D

Carina, athenarose and BurgundyBoy like this

My workout was working through the closet tonight in a major fashion show. The girls were well on display now that so many things are too big! 

I also donate to a woman's shelter and occasionally will see the ladies wearing my clothes when I drop off additional items. 

This trip is 5 4x dresses and a lot of shirts! 

Jen581791 and NerdyLady like this

On 7/9/2017 at 9:50 AM, NerdyLady said:

Make that seven pairs of shorts and a pair of 3x pants. :D

Your post made me check out the closet and drawers. Six pairs of shorts and 3 nice trousers now enroute to the local shelters. I tried on some old New England appropriate coats too and they will make their way there in a couple of months. :D

Carina, Jen581791 and NerdyLady like this

On 7/10/2017 at 11:02 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

Your post made me check out the closet and drawers. Six pairs of shorts and 3 nice trousers now enroute to the local shelters. I tried on some old New England appropriate coats too and they will make their way there in a couple of months. :D

@BurgundyBoy I hear ya on the NE appropriate coats. Mine are in a box waiting to be donated in late fall.

Jen581791 likes this

Posted (edited)

Over the weekend I decided to try on my last "rotation" of slacks - yes, I have hoarded the old clothes as I got too heavy to wear them.  I was so happy to be able to go down that first size.  And the work polos embroidered with company logo now are loose around my butt!  It's surreal, that the inches are already showing.  My husband says when he hugs me he can tell the difference.  Today is only 4 weeks post-OP, but I am already feeling so encouraged!

Edited by TammyP
Trish13, NerdyLady, Gretta and 3 others like this

I bought 3 new jumpers on sale and medium size!!! so 3 xls will be heading into the donation bag later today.