Vaultgirl72

Vaultgirl72's (Laura) Pre-Op story

15 posts in this topic

Mentally, physically and emotionally over the course of the last year I have taken a lot of time preparing for this surgery. I have created a book to journal my eating, experimented with various recipes using protein powder,and even taken into consideration that I need some savory to go with all the sweet of protein powder shakes. I have dishes that are the size of a serving and baby spoons to make it easier to take the right size bites. Chew, chew and chew some more is the most common advice. Been practicing taking sips vs. gulps (hard to do!) I feel ready on this front. Still waiting to hear if I will be doing a pre-op diet! My surgery is scheduled for June 9th. There’s just one caveat; the insurance approval. This has put me on tenterhooks and I need to vent some.

I’ve had bi weekly therapy visits and lots of consideration to my emotional preparation. Being chronically depressed, it is exhausting dealing with it day in and out. It is carefully managed through medication, my psychiatrist and therapist. Most days I’m stable (YAY!) I find myself worrying that post-op I won’t be able to take the meds or that the configuration won’t work any more and I slip into being chronically depressed again. I’ve addressed this with my doctor and he says not to worry, it will be fine, but part of me wonders.

I’m already battling a feeling of “Is this all there is?” as I care for my special needs child, who’s now 14. Frustration and exhaustion as we move into her teenage years seem to be the most prevalent feelings. Not sure who is growing up more; me or her? Two years ago I hit the wall and had to stop being supermom or die. I was so exhausted it was causing chest pains and heart problems that landed me in bed for two months. Sleeping mostly. I still have trouble getting through the day without a nap.

During this period I wondered what if my weight was lower? Would I be in the condition I find myself in now?  I pondered if it would be possible that I could have more energy and feel well with WLS. So I sent an email to my PCP and asked. He did not hesitate. So the process began and as it did I made a few interesting discoveries. One was that I am anemic and it was a big contributor to my exhaustion. This has me worried post-op and I know I will have to keep an eye on it forever. Second I realized that I’ve been trying to lose the same 70 pounds for the last 25 years. After I sat down and wrote out all the diets I’ve been on and all the workout plans I’ve done I’m amazed it hasn’t worked! Thirdly I discovered this is the best option to “cure” my diabetes, which is controlled but I always run high. It is a side effect of the medication I take for depression. Not being diabetic would take the strain off my joints and my internal organs for sure.

As the date draws nearer and I anxiously wait to hear if I’m approved or not I am more and more convinced that this is the best path to take. My mother is my biggest critic and my father is my biggest supporter. My boyfriend is trying to take a helping position and doing his best to be supportive. Reading the posts in here has made a real difference. Put some of my fears to rest and raised more questions to ask of my doctors. For that I thank everyone on the site!

CZJ, LeeC, normakubota and 3 others like this

You are well prepared and have done your homework. You've identified who will be supportive and you have a support infrastructure, you are getting psych issues addressed, and your are practicing the diet routine. I think you will do well. None of us have all our ducks perfectly lined up before surgery, we live in the real world. Your words about losing the same 70 lbs over the last 25 years ring loud. You will get years of extra life free from diabetes and your preparation will serve you well. 

normakubota, Cyprus, CZJ and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

I've enjoyed reading about your recipe experimentation. I totally get your very real concern about anemia. You'll definitely need to watch that like a hawk. I'm so happy you're doing something for YOU. It's about time!

Edited by Gretta
Vaultgirl72 likes this

Congratulations on making the huge decision to do this, and also on preparing for it so thoroughly. It sounds like you've done all you can to get ready. 

I hope the insurance question is ironed out quickly and that you can get in with the process. I know it's a bit scary in the pre-op phase, but you have definitely done your due diligence! Nice job.

Vaultgirl72 and CZJ like this

@BurgundyBoy Thank you for the positive reinforcement! It's nice to hear when I am wondering if I could be doing more. I always think I should be doing more though lol

Cyprus and Jen581791 like this

@Gretta I'm glad you have enjoyed my food experiments. I'll be doing some more soon! It is great to be doing something that is just for me. It has been a long time.

Cyprus likes this

@Jen581791 It is the due diligence that keeps the pre-op from making me crazy! The more I know the less guessing there is :) Thank you!

Jen581791 likes this

WLS for me was more about having a tool to keep the weight off rather than to lose the weight.  I actually am really great at losing weight and have lost over 100 pounds 3 times in my life.  Plus lost 20 to 50 pounds several more times lol .  Where I sucked was keeping it off.  This tool has really helped the keeping it off part.  Best to you!

I have to agree with Mary.  I have a 35+ year documented history of successful dieting attempts but I was ever more successful at putting it all (and more) back on the moment I fell off the wagon.

Having a RNY broke that cycle. 

@msmarymac and @cinwa Getting the weight off wasn't something that happened for me. I'd lose a little and then gain back double. Liquid diets worked the best but I'd just gain and gain after the fact. I can exercise like crazy until I injure myself and I may shrink but I gain it all back during recovery. Very frustrating. I get what you mean that the RNY will break the cycle. I'm looking forward to that.

CZJ likes this

3 hours ago, Vaultgirl72 said:

@BurgundyBoy Thank you for the positive reinforcement! It's nice to hear when I am wondering if I could be doing more. I always think I should be doing more though lol

We all do... but you have to hold your nose and jump at some point. 

Posted (edited)

My iron has always run low even before surgery.  After surgery it was stable but I was sent to a hemotologist.  She said after running some tests p, having me discontinue the iron then go back and be retested, that I simply do not absorb iron.  It's a waste of money but up to me if I continue to taken the iron.  They can do infusions if it gets too low.

my diabetes was uncontrolled even with 6 pills a day for it (gilipiside, actos, and metformin).  Within 5 days of surgery my blood sugar levels were good.  

Earrly out I used a shot glass as a serving size.  Including drinking from one every 15 minutes.  Now I've graduated to custard cups;).  

good luck!

Edited by Cheesehead
Vaultgirl72 and Michael_A like this

@Vaultgirl72 Are you able to do any exercise? Studies show if you exercise your BMI will be 4.2 points (on average, not a guarantee) lower than if you don't - e.g. 21.8 instead of 26.

Plus you get to wear more spandex in your new body and be more vain. 

Vaultgirl72 likes this

@BurgundyBoy I walk regularly (except last week and this week as I'm recovering from  being sick) and when I can I lift weights. I have a myriad of old injuries that flare up when I when I overdo it. I've gotten better about moderation in the last couple years. I'm looking forward to being able to wear more spandex! I plan on wearing it to dance classes lol

Cyprus likes this

13 minutes ago, Vaultgirl72 said:

@BurgundyBoy I walk regularly (except last week and this week as I'm recovering from  being sick) and when I can I lift weights. I have a myriad of old injuries that flare up when I when I overdo it. I've gotten better about moderation in the last couple years. I'm looking forward to being able to wear more spandex! I plan on wearing it to dance classes lol

It's true, you can wear Spandex whenever you want. .. and have to choose exercises that don't stress old injuries. 

I fear my Mr. Incredible spandex suit (my cycling clothes) were largest around my stomach, not my manly chest. 

Cyprus likes this