Beidlerm

7 days post op... dying to eat something

My surgery was 5/16 and I'm tolerating liquids and shakes well. I know it's probably all in my head by I'm dying to chew anything at this point!  Jello is not cutting it. Any tips? 

Ice cream, frozen yogurts or sorbets on a stick? Sheets of nori seaweed? Super concentrated fish or bone broth (it gels, and you can eat it like jello, but it is savory and not sweet)? 

Some of us on the TTF have confessed to chewing something up and then spitting it out without swallowing just to get through this stage. I did. 

I just bought a snow cone machine and sugar free Torani syrups so I could chew the ice.

Chew your liquids. It doesn't help much but it helps a little. I was going crazy not being able to chew and chewing my liquids helped a bit. Hang in there - you'll be eating food soon.

My surgeon told me on day 13 at my two week post-op to start eating any solids that I could tolerate from that point on. It was a total contradiction to his dietician's instructions. When I questioned it he said it wouldn't hurt the surgery in any way....but not chewing enough could be very uncomfortable for me. I feel so much better now eating some solid foods, but I'm very careful not to swallow until even my tiny bites of solid food are very well chewed. It might be worth asking your surgeon if your cravings get too much for you to bear.

Just wondering if chewing gum would help?

1 hour ago, tracyringo said:

Just wondering if chewing gum would help?

I go for surgery Tuesday and I've been wondering the same thing because even on my pre-op liquid diet these days I'm dying to chew things.

Maybe sugar free gum would help - but only so long as you had a very limited amount per day because even excessive sweeteners and chemicals in those things are not great for you in large volumes and I can imagine its easily habit forming. My friend who gave up cigarettes started chewing on nicotine gum and then regular gum but was popping those things constantly for a long while until he was bugged by others to stop.

Not saying don't just saying be careful how much you chew.

Update: My snow cone machine arrived today, & I love it!

It's the Goplus Electric Ice Crusher from Amazon.

Edited by Gretta

My personal take is that despite my reluctance to eat some of the artificial sweeteners, the benefits of losing weight so far outweigh potential risks that I have happily use them for specific reasons. I put Splenda (sucralose) in my coffee now and once in a while in Greek yogurt but avoid artificial sweeteners otherwise. I sometimes travel to places where sugar goes into everything and artificial sweeteners are not use... so I bring sucralose with me. Seems like the lesser of two evils. 

Taking @Aksh's good example, nicotine is much more addictive than sucralose.... but smoking is so much worse than nicotine addiction that one can rationalize the nicotine gum if smoking is the alternative! (I have relatives who still dream of smoking 30+ years after they quit). We all have to figure out these trade-offs given our own circumstances. 

So to get back to the thread topic of chewing! I would do anything to get through the period of liquid intake using gum, frozen ice, whatever works! It's not usually for very long, but we have to stay sane! 

I chewed on ice chips, and SF pops. I was fortunate that I felt immediate relief and did not feel hunger or the need to eat until my honeymooon period was over. I can tell you that my struggles are much different now that I am in maintenance. Take full opportunity of using your tool to its full potential. Find what works for you and stick to it, you are on your way and it does get easier! 

Well said vsgguy.

17 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

I would do anything to get through the period of liquid intake using gum, frozen ice, whatever works! It's not usually for very long, but we have to stay sane! 

Well said! :D

On 24/5/2017 at 0:07 PM, Gretta said:

Update: My snow cone machine arrived today, & I love it!

It's the Goplus Electric Ice Crusher from Amazon.

Nice, hope it works out and gives you the crunchy chewing joy. :)