slars04

BMI Almost Overweight!

I am so excited! 8 more pounds and I'll have an overweight BMI instead of an obese one. Maybe then I can get my primary care doc to take "morbid obesity BMI 40.0 - 44.9" off my chart for good.

I started this journey with my PCP on 10/12/16. I was depressed, demoralized, and disgusted with myself, and he was so kind to me. That has not always been the case with other physicians. So many people in and out of the medical field just don't get food addiction. This is a dude who doesn't get really excited about anything and he was so amped to recommend WLS with my surgeon, I thought they were dating. With someone so cautious in my corner and nudging me to move forward, I knew I had to at least look into it. Thank Heavens I did!  This is AWESOME! I weigh less than I have in 25 years. I can walk the dog, garden for a couple of hours, Heck! run errands, etc., without having to stop for a good, brisk sit. My BP is 106 / 67 and my blood sugar is NORMAL. I L-O-V-E love this!

Edited by slars04

Same experience with my PCP. I had been seeing the guy for nearly 20 years. He had been telling me for years that I needed to lose weight, etc. But WLS was very unfamiliar to me and I guess I had some mental hangups about it.

I remember clearly the day I finally worked up the courage to ask him about it--  and was so relieved that he was very excited about it. He was very positive about it and that really changed my perception about the whole thing, early out. It was after that appointment that I dove into the research, found this site, and the rest is history.

So exciting!

Awesome!  I used to have to haul a chair out to the garden and rest for 10 minutes for every 5 minutes of work!  It's the everyday things that make this journey worthwhile!  

8 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

I used to have to haul a chair out to the garden and rest for 10 minutes for every 5 minutes of work!  

This is good to hear. It IS possible to feel better than I do now.

So close slars04 to a really achievable and major goal. I hit the overweight BMI just days before my surgery. I've only been there probably twice before in my life. It was so important to me because having a BMI below 30 is a prerequisite for the foot surgery I need. It is also incidentally the prerequisite for plastic surgery at the hospital where I had my WLS.

15 hours ago, slars04 said:

I am so excited! 8 more pounds and I'll have an overweight BMI instead of an obese one. Maybe then I can get my primary care doc to take "morbid obesity BMI 40.0 - 44.9" off my chart for good.

I started this journey with my PCP on 10/12/16. I was depressed, demoralized, and disgusted with myself, and he was so kind to me. That has not always been the case with other physicians. So many people in and out of the medical field just don't get food addiction. This is a dude who doesn't get really excited about anything and he was so amped to recommend WLS with my surgeon, I thought they were dating. With someone so cautious in my corner and nudging me to move forward, I knew I had to at least look into it. Thank Heavens I did!  This is AWESOME! I weigh less than I have in 25 years. I can walk the dog, garden for a couple of hours, Heck! run errands, etc., without having to stop for a good, brisk sit. My BP is 106 / 67 and my blood sugar is NORMAL. I L-O-V-E love this!

Go @slars04 Go!

AWESOME!!!!  Congratulations!!!

Fantastic, @slars04! You sound like you're in a great place right now :) 

26 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

You sound like you're in a great place right now :) 

I'm nervous about seeing several of my obese friends this week (people I haven't seen since before the surgery) but that is all about me being self-absorbed and overthinking things. I really am in a good place. I am also going to be more vigilant with the vitamins to see if that takes care of the blues I've been dabbling in. Low Vitamin D makes me even more negative than usual. lol

8 minutes ago, slars04 said:

I'm nervous about seeing several of my obese friends this week (people I haven't seen since before the surgery) but that is all about me being self-absorbed and overthinking things. I really am in a good place. I am also going to be more vigilant with the vitamins to see if that takes care of the blues I've been dabbling in. Low Vitamin D makes me even more negative than usual. lol

I understand your concerns about meeting up with your friends - and it shows you have a healthy sense of empathy. I hope it goes well, but we both know what will be going through their heads. I've been in that position before.

Do you have a vitamin reminder on your phone? That helps, I find. Negative? slars04? Nah, I don't believe it! ;) 

Just now, Jen581791 said:

I understand your concerns about meeting up with your friends - and it shows you have a healthy sense of empathy. I hope it goes well, but we both know what will be going through their heads. I've been in that position before.

Do you have a vitamin reminder on your phone? That helps, I find. Negative? slars04? Nah, I don't believe it! ;) 

I'll be on a retreat with about 30 - 35 women this weekend, many of whom I haven't seen in quite a while. I'm not sure if I will tell them about my surgery or not, but I am going into it with the idea of making it about the weekend together instead of me and my weight. Just saying "Thanks!" and moving on. That is not always possible with this group, as they are obsessed with food and weight.

I am aware of that in most recovery groups I'm involved in; the transfer of addictions from "bad" addictions like drugs or alcohol, to more socially acceptable ones like food, caffeine, meetings, TV, or the internet. All of this stuff will kill us, some compulsions just more slowly than others. I really don't want to get preachy or self-righteous; I get cocky and I fall. Big time. I SOOO do not feel cured of my eating obsession. I am still learning so much about myself and my relationship with food. Humility is the key, and something I find I know little about.

I have the reminder set on my phone, but I don't pay attention to it. BWAHAHAHAHA!

22 minutes ago, slars04 said:

Well, if they are obsessed with food and weight then sounds like you may well be at risk of becoming the topic du jour, at least for a little while. Someone is bound to notice you have lost 70+ pounds. At least no one can say you haven't taken the bull by the horns - "dealt decisively and bravely with an issue that had to be tackled" - which should get you some points. 

My apologies for just thinking out loud - It is hard not to open up when an honest, sympathetic and curious person asks what is going on. Maybe if not you, but WLS itself, is the topic for a little while then it will allow you to be more comfortable with the group moving forward. I'm struggling with similar issues now, where I see people that I haven't seen n 6 or 12 months. I'm telling a lot of people that yes I decided to lose weight in a serious way, but not more specifics unless there is some good reason to go into them. Like you I worry about getting preachy. Hubris can sink us. Good luck, perhaps it will be less fraught with unsaid things than you fear. (Those fraught-full things may all be said out loud...).

(and what do we do with bulls that we have grabbed by the horns? Smile and say don't mind me, have a nice day? It's like "grabbing a tiger by the tail." How do you avoid the sharp pointy parts of a tiger if you are holding on to it? So maybe with a group you can get the points for publicly acknowledging your decisive action - but not have to field too many unwelcome questions about those sharp horns and teeth and claws.)

1 hour ago, slars04 said:

I really don't want to get preachy or self-righteous; I get cocky and I fall. Big time. I SOOO do not feel cured of my eating obsession. I am still learning so much about myself and my relationship with food. Humility is the key, and something I find I know little about.

It's hard not to externalize ideas that are on perpetual loop in your head - right now, our inner dialogs are pretty WLS dominated. I find myself having to bite my tongue around my mom and MIL when they're whinging about diets (while chowing down on a breakfast bar ("Now with more fiber!" (3g!) and 35g of mostly sugary carbs and 1g of protein...). Preachy wants to come shooting out like a fountain. I find that quiet and smug is the best I can do at times. I'm trying to deal with them from a place of humility and kindness, but it's hard. Someday I'll be a better person.

@slars04 it sounds like you're at that point in your journey where you need to make the decision about keeping quiet about your WLS or just putting the truth out into the universe. I mostly kept quiet before my surgery due to the first friend I told being quite toxic about my plans. Since surgery I've changed. I lost the bulk of my weight before surgery and was really copping the "you've lost too much" comments, and "you need to stop dieting now". It didn't matter that I was still technically overweight....the negativity kept coming. After surgery I decided that given my weightloss was already a major topic of conversation, I'd put the truth out there. I'm glad I did. It has stopped people telling me I've gone too far. It's given me the very real option to explain that my diet is very much being medically managed and well monitored. Nobody is now suggesting I'm ill, in fact everyone so far is telling me how well I look. If they are talking about me anyway, then it might as well be truthful rather than potentially hurtful gossip. In theory it will make me more accountable, in reality it also gives me the edge as far as telling people to back off because I know what I'm doing and don't need them to tell me what I should or shouldn't be doing.

I felt very alone at the start of my revision process. My original surgery was over 30 years ago, I could find no information on revising from a surgery that isn't even talked about in medical schools anymore. I found nothing to help on the internet, even my surgeon knew very little about my original procedure. By being honest I actually found out that a woman who lives just across the road from me had the same original surgery as I did, at the same time I did, but was revised to RNY (like me) just a month after her original surgery. What a small world we actually live in. The stigma that comes along with WLS holds so many of us back from talking about our experiences....it's time in my opinion to smash that stigma. The only way that can happen is if we talk about it openly and honestly. You may not be at that point yet, you might never get to that point....im just putting it out there as food for thought.

The very real upside of this openness came for me yesterday. I was talking to a young woman that I used to work with. She is much younger than I, in fact was at school with one of my kids. During our conversation I realised that she was quite possibly talking about having WLS, so I pushed her for clarification. While she had an uncomfortable moment, it turned out she was indeed in the process. What's more she is dealing with the same surgeon I had. It was great to be able to talk to her about her fears, the unknowns so far for her as far as the process goes, and just to be able to offer to talk to her when she needs a knowledgeable and supportive ear. She is so early in the process that she's really had no guidance about the process yet. My first surgery was actually at about her age, and I want her to feel she has someone on her side, and if necessary, someone that can sit down with her mother and talk about the reality of the surgery as opposed to village gossip.

Hopefully you will enjoy your retreat. Try not to stress about what may or may not happen. Just cross each bridge as you come to them.

Edited by Aussie H

6 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

It was great to be able to talk to her about her fears, the unknowns so far for her as far as the process goes, and just to be able to offer to talk to her when she needs a knowledgeable and supportive ear.

What a great reason to be open and honest :) Good for you! I struggle with this decision, being a very private person normally. Logically there are many reasons to be open, though.

8 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

What a great reason to be open and honest :) Good for you! I struggle with this decision, being a very private person normally. Logically there are many reasons to be open, though.

Definitely! Poor girl was already stressing because she'd been given false information from her referring doctor that she'd have no choice in what surgery she'd have. She was really concerned about being told she'd have to have a lap band after a friend's experience with one. It was a relief for her to find out that our surgeon will not do lap band surgeries, and that she will be offered either VSG, RNY, or Omega Loop Bypass. Whether it is her choice or the surgeon's, my experience was that the surgeon takes a very considered approach to which surgery he offers his patients based on their individual needs. 

1 hour ago, Aussie H said:

Definitely! Poor girl was already stressing because she'd been given false information from her referring doctor that she'd have no choice in what surgery she'd have. She was really concerned about being told she'd have to have a lap band after a friend's experience with one. It was a relief for her to find out that our surgeon will not do lap band surgeries, and that she will be offered either VSG, RNY, or Omega Loop Bypass. Whether it is her choice or the surgeon's, my experience was that the surgeon takes a very considered approach to which surgery he offers his patients based on their individual needs. 

I believe you are now a WLS mentor, @Aussie H. That girl must be thanking her lucky stars she talked with you.

I made it! I am officially overweight. BOOM!

1 hour ago, slars04 said:

tenor.gif

Confetti confetti happy dance confetti!!!!!

11 hours ago, slars04 said:

*Spectacular!!!*

Congratulations slars!

On 6/20/2017 at 7:39 PM, slars04 said:

YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!