Carina

Mega-stall?

49 posts in this topic

Just now, Gretta said:

@cinwa I love your approach and plan to do the same during the weight loss phase. Why torture myself and fixate and obsess when it's not necessary and the weight loss will be the same regardless? How often do you weigh during maintenance?

I'm 9 1/2 years out and am pretty diligent at sticking with my 1,800 cals M-F, a touch more at the weekend and keep up with my daily exercise routine (3 mile walk at a stiff pace on my treadmill and a bit of yoga/pilates).  

I've been stable for 8 years give or take so I rarely get on the scales - maybe once every 4 to 6 weeks.

Thanks @cinwa

Jen581791 likes this

18 hours ago, Hotmamatime said:

Oh man. I'm at 3 weeks postop this week not excited about a stall.  So with my surgeon they want you to start puréed at 3 weeks.  For those with the 3 week stall did you also start puréed foods also at that time ?

Dear Hotmamatime, I can't relate my stalls to what I was eating. I was advanced to purees at 10 days after surgery but my first major stall was right around day 30. I had a more minor one (in retrospect) at about day 14, when I also went to a wedding. 

I think, without a shred of real evidence, that our bodies must accumulate a bunch of signals about dietary intake and activity level - and then undertake the remodeling that goes on during the stalls. There is substantial biological evidence these days that a lot of adaptation occurs in short bursts of activity, not a long-drawn-out gradual period. Having said that... I dislike the stall periods too because I am hardwired to do the daily weight check, it is part of some habits I have been building... but I am going to get that tape measure today to measure my neck, arms, chest, belly, various places on my legs... 

I've clearly broken through to another side, where people I haven't shared that I was having surgery are asking me if I have lost weight; I'm trim looking; my face and neck are far more defined... I could plateau in a stall for some time now and still feel like I had gotten some place very good. My wife has been telling my son that what he is seeing is an authentic me that she remembers. (I think all of the sizes of me were real, but whatever, that's fine). I realized my son has never seen me this thin.  Living with a stall now, after 8 weeks, is a lot easier than in that emotionally wrought early period right after surgery.  

Hotmamatime, do those measurements and then embrace the stall when it happens... 

Carina and Res Ipsa like this

This is another wonderful topic thread that just highlights how individualized our weight loss journeys are.  While there are many, many, similar elements to the journey, each person's story has just enough twists, turns, and specialized moments to make them unique.  By sharing these I also get a myriad of coping techniques.     

now my comment... stalls are the worst - they come with fear, rob me of motivation, are a test to my faith in my program but also provide a flood of gratitude when they break.  Hang in there. 

Jen581791 likes this

Well put, @ikantspel.

7 minutes ago, Carina said:

Well put, @ikantspel.

Hi Carina, how is that stall of yours going? Aliens still there?

My weight was the same today as yesterday. So, I did an extra 10 miles of hard cycling today, we are having gorgeous weather ... just some kind of weird compensation thing that I do. My head tells me my day-to-day weight has almost zero to do with my day-to-day exercise level. However, my emotional heart tells me I just boosted my daily metabolic demand by another 700 calories (or whatever it is for the 10 miles), hahahaha to that evil scale I got you now. 

I have to get a tape measure today so I have a baseline of measurements before my next (inevitable) stall. Plus, I'm going to start weighing myself in some different way once a month or so - maybe at my primary care doctor's office - to see if I can develop the equanimity that Cinwa and ThinCVT (and others) display that they tie together with infrequent weighings. 

@BurgundyBoy Still hanging tight. I don't think I am cut out to weigh infrequently. I probably should measure, though. I forgot to do that before surgery.

BurgundyBoy likes this

5 minutes ago, Carina said:

@BurgundyBoy Still hanging tight. I don't think I am cut out to weigh infrequently. I probably should measure, though. I forgot to do that before surgery.

@Carina Yeah, I'm like you. At least right now, I "have" to weigh every day. But I think if I have those other measurements I'll have another emotional anchor for when I do stall. So much of this is the mental game, like 90%. 

Well, keep up the drill. You know, laws of physics and biology and whatnot, you'll have to lose eventually. 

3 hours ago, Carina said:

I probably should measure, though. I forgot to do that before surgery.

Good point. I'm almost 20 pounds down now from the start of my 6-month "liver shrinking diet", and only had the thought for the first time today to begin taking some measurements. I'll probably do it bi-weekly from here on out.

BurgundyBoy and Carina like this

15 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@Carina Yeah, I'm like you. At least right now, I "have" to weigh every day. But I think if I have those other measurements I'll have another emotional anchor for when I do stall. So much of this is the mental game, like 90%. 

Well, keep up the drill. You know, laws of physics and biology and whatnot, you'll have to lose eventually. 

This is probably TMI, but hey, that's what this thread is for. I only weigh myself after I have a morning poop. I'm still not pooping every day and I've noticed that constipation affects the numbers on the scale. For example, yesterday my weight was 195.7 (no poop). This morning (poop day), I am at 193.4.  @Carina maybe this would be helpful?

Well, since you broached the subject... I drink 8 ozs of strong coffee in the morning, have a poop, then weigh myself. If the 1 cup of coffee doesn't work, I take a second dose of 8 ozs, and then when I weigh, subtract the second cup of coffee. My coffee is really just re-labeled rocket fuel, so blast off with 2 cups is a sure bet. Then I have my morning blueberry & protein drink shake. 

The biggest change for me on this bariatric diet is a marked reduction in the fiber in my diet, which I hate. When I get to maintenance mode, boosting the veggies with fiber will be my #1 move. The supplements are ok but not the same. 

NerdyLady likes this

13 hours ago, Michael_A said:

Good point. I'm almost 20 pounds down now from the start of my 6-month "liver shrinking diet", and only had the thought for the first time today to begin taking some measurements. I'll probably do it bi-weekly from here on out.

I sure wish I had had the foresight to do so. the only measures I knew for sure are my neck - down from 18" to 16.5" - and my waist size, down 5". When I was measuring yesterday, my wife recalled that she had bought me a 15.5" neck shirt back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and we were young. The family has already bought me new belts. 

NerdyLady likes this

Poop...yeah, that's still irregular. If I'd wait for it in the morning I'd get nothing else done. That said, the last couple days have been reasonable.

NerdyLady likes this

Posted (edited)

Just to toss in there.. 

I take two of these nightly : https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UWTK9E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It really helps.

My stall has finally broken. After almost 3 months. Yay. 

Editing to add // I also have the fitbit aria scale. I love it. Like. Love it. Because, again I've mentioned, I weigh myself every morning, but the aria scale not only weighs body weight, it also scans your body for body fat. So the days (months) that I am not losing weight, I have noticed I am losing body fat. 

Edited by Zyia
NerdyLady, Michael_A and Carina like this

Another example of how different programs can be: my program says don't use senna products. :rolleyes: Only Miralax. Go figure.

I think in the beginning, all programs try to limit anything that will cause you to lose fluids. Caffeine, because it's a diuretic and it makes you pee, Senna things because it has a laxative effect, and causes you to lose fluids. I believe most plans allow things around 6 months when you have your fluid intake under control. 

2 hours ago, Zyia said:

Just to toss in there.. 

I take two of these nightly : https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UWTK9E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It really helps.

My stall has finally broken. After almost 3 months. Yay. 

Editing to add // I also have the fitbit aria scale. I love it. Like. Love it. Because, again I've mentioned, I weigh myself every morning, but the aria scale not only weighs body weight, it also scans your body for body fat. So the days (months) that I am not losing weight, I have noticed I am losing body fat. 

Zyia, you must by really happy the stall is breaking. Did you keep your intake pretty much the same throughout?

Smart of you to have one of the bioimpedence devices that assesses body fat. Saw your posting on the "What are you wearing" thread and you look tremendous, you must feel great.

Congratulations!

Zyia likes this

2 hours ago, Zyia said:

It really helps.

Zyia,

Drugs.com issue a safety information about the use of sennosides:  "Do not use for longer than 1 week without checking with your doctor...  Using sennosides for a long time may result in loss of normal bowel function...  Overuse of laxatives can lead to a DEPENDENCE on laxatives to have a bowel movement. In severe overuse cases, some laxatives have caused damage to the intestines and bowel".

I learnt the hard way with polyethylene glycol 3350 (generic Miralax).  My surgeon prescribed it long term for constant issues with constipation.  Long story short, it took me close to a year to wean myself off it because the increased incidence of nausea, bloating and cramping.

Zyia and Jen581791 like this

4 hours ago, cinwa said:

Zyia,

Drugs.com issue a safety information about the use of sennosides:  "Do not use for longer than 1 week without checking with your doctor...  Using sennosides for a long time may result in loss of normal bowel function...  Overuse of laxatives can lead to a DEPENDENCE on laxatives to have a bowel movement. In severe overuse cases, some laxatives have caused damage to the intestines and bowel".

I learnt the hard way with polyethylene glycol 3350 (generic Miralax).  My surgeon prescribed it long term for constant issues with constipation.  Long story short, it took me close to a year to wean myself off it because the increased incidence of nausea, bloating and cramping.

Well. Thank you for that. That sucks. There are times that I really dislike my surgeons office. starting with the fact that they didn't inform me I'll need new birth control, to this. Bah. 

4 hours ago, cinwa said:

Long story short, it took me close to a year to wean myself off it

Yikes, thanks for the heads up! I use Miralax sort of off and on, not too frequently, but it's good to know to be a bit wary of it. Same with senna (Smooth Move tea - which is senna based - is very effective, but I'll be very cautious in future). 

Looking forward to a point in time when I can go back to eating larger quantities of veg.

NerdyLady likes this

The best thing I Found for me for regular BMs is insoluble fiber.  Most of the fiber supplements out there are soluble fiber, which can actually make constipation worse.  I add ground flax seed and apple pectin fiber to my Greek yogurt.  Kashi Go Lean cereal cereal contains 12g insoluble fiber per serving.  This cereal is actually pretty high in protein, too, so a 1/2 serving Kashi with 4oz milk would give you 6g insoluble fiber and 10g protein.  

Until I figured out the fiber thing, Milk of Magnesia always worked well.  I'd take some at bedtime and always had results in the morning.  Did this 2-3 times/week if I wasn't going on my own.

Jen581791 and BurgundyBoy like this

27 minutes ago, ThinCVT said:

The best thing I Found for me for regular BMs is insoluble fiber.  Most of the fiber supplements out there are soluble fiber, which can actually make constipation worse.  I add ground flax seed and apple pectin fiber to my Greek yogurt.  Kashi Go Lean cereal cereal contains 12g insoluble fiber per serving.  This cereal is actually pretty high in protein, too, so a 1/2 serving Kashi with 4oz milk would give you 6g insoluble fiber and 10g protein.  

Until I figured out the fiber thing, Milk of Magnesia always worked well.  I'd take some at bedtime and always had results in the morning.  Did this 2-3 times/week if I wasn't going on my own.

Thanks ThinCVT, very helpful. 

18 hours ago, cinwa said:

Zyia,

@cinwa Since you have been at this for nine years, I think you may be one of the experts on our bodies. How do you suggest we newbies poo? I'm relying on senna several times a week because I have infrequent movements. Your story has made me cautious. Any advice?

I'm tagging @Res Ipsa because he may also have some thoughts. 

2 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

@cinwa Since you have been at this for nine years, I think you may be one of the experts on our bodies. How do you suggest we newbies poo? I'm relying on senna several times a week because I have infrequent movements. Your story has made me cautious. Any advice?

I'm tagging @Res Ipsa because he may also have some thoughts. 

I'm an expert on my body - I can only share what works for me I'm afraid.  And much I have learnt is after the event.

If it's any help, constipation issues tend to resolve themselves once you're cleared for all foods and can eat a good amount of fresh vegetables and fruit.  So!  In the meantime, do what you can to get yourself through this phase.

NerdyLady likes this