Carina

Mega-stall?

49 posts in this topic

Five weeks out today. Stalled for two weeks. How can I be stalling on 1000-1100 calories when I lost on 1600 pre-surgery?? Getting frustrated!

HalimahB likes this

Hi Carina, must be very frustrating. I had a recent stall that lasted 15 days. My body contour changed a lot during the 2 weeks that "nothing happened" with a more taut set of core and extremity muscles. I only realized that in retrospect. Some of the more senior members of TTF had recommended measuring size and following that to keep the spirits up, but I hadn't taken my measurements early on. 

It has been followed by 15 days of pretty satisfactory loss, albeit with some days up nearly a kilo (!!!) and down a bit more than a kilo. I thought I understood my body but it is still mysterious. I was pretty frustrated too. 

There is a lot of chatter out there that when your intake is too low, your body metabolism goes into survival mode (e.g. really low metabolic rate). By boosting your intake a few hundred calories you may be able to kick it into an higher rate. I really don't know if this is true but am passing this observation along. This might be consistent with your observation that you lost while taking in 1600 calories a day but not at 1000-1100 a day.  In my frustration I did add a few more hundred calories, along with a bit more exercise and making sure I was ketotic from very low carb intake. Perhaps it helped me to break out of the stall, but it is so easy to falsely associate something we do with either some weight loss or gain. 

You clearly need to have a very serious discussion with your body and tell it that this kind of recalcitrance is just not acceptable. it is too reluctant to give up those grams, ounces, pounds and kilos. I hope your body does a better job of listening to your lecture than mine did. My $#!&%$ body just refused to listen. 

If you are 5 weeks out, and have stalled for two weeks, then you most likely have hit the 3 week stall, that a significant number of people, myself included, hit after surgery. I kept my calories down to around 600 a day until I was about 6 months out. But, it happens, you will stall, think of it like going down stairs, you'll lose, then stall, then lose, then stall. But it will happen, you are not doing anything wrong. I believe that first stall for me, was a three week stall, three weeks after surgery. I ultimately have lost 130lbs and am 9 months out. I know it sucks to hear, but be patient, it'll start moving again. 

NerdyLady, Carina, Jen581791 and 1 other like this

8 minutes ago, Zyia said:

If you are 5 weeks out, and have stalled for two weeks, then you most likely have hit the 3 week stall, that a significant number of people, myself included, hit after surgery. I kept my calories down to around 600 a day until I was about 6 months out. But, it happens, you will stall, think of it like going down stairs, you'll lose, then stall, then lose, then stall. But it will happen, you are not doing anything wrong. I believe that first stall for me, was a three week stall, three weeks after surgery. I ultimately have lost 130lbs and am 9 months out. I know it sucks to hear, but be patient, it'll start moving again. 

Carina, this comment by Zyia jogged my tongue loose again - my losses also look like a series of steps, sometimes with a sloping down step but sometimes just flat for a while before a more abrupt fall. Everyone's different, except that we all get frustrated, depressed, exhilarated, and exasperated at our particular trajectory. 

Carina likes this

I know, but TWO WEEKS? Gah. I knew there was a stall at three weeks; just didn't think it would last so long. 

43 minutes ago, Carina said:

I know, but TWO WEEKS? Gah. I knew there was a stall at three weeks; just didn't think it would last so long. 

My big stall started on day 30 after surgery instead of at 3 weeks - lasted 15 days - lost a grand total of 2 lbs, and during it had 2 days where I went UP 1.5 lbs, and once where I lost 4 lbs in 2 days... and then gained it all back in 5 days. It was like there was a cosmic war going on that I was a bystander to and had no influence over. I was beside myself. Kept to the same diet all the way through. 

I'm buying a tape measure today since the old one has disappeared from the household sewing kit. I'll measure myself everywhere so next time I stall, I'll see if my circumferences are getting smaller so I won't be so depressed. I don't think I can just check my weight once a month like Cinwa.

@BurgundyBoy This sounds really familiar!

Maybe we are both bystanders to that Cosmic War that people forgot to tell us about. 

On the humorous side, I did develop a bit of nice calf and side-of-the-leg muscle definition during my stall. My wife and son caught me admiring my legs one day. I felt like King Louis XIV of France who was famously proud of his legs. And very silly. 

Trish13 and Carina like this

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Maybe we are both bystanders to that Cosmic War that people forgot to tell us about. 

On the humorous side, I did develop a bit of nice calf and side-of-the-leg muscle definition during my stall. My wife and son caught me admiring my legs one day. I felt like King Louis XIV of France who was famously proud of his legs. And very silly. 

@Carina and @BurgundyBoy I have been going through a bit of a stall myself. I hit a serious stall at three weeks and now at six weeks, I'm only losing a few oz every few days. It is really frustrating but I'm trying to focus on the big picture. It sucks, I'm not going to lie.

I haven't been good about measuring but I did notice my bust line go down. *Ladies, I was running after a bus and I didn't have enough support, if you know what I mean* I measured myself and even though I hadn't lost significant weight, I went from a 44DD to a 40DD. As my friends say, that's not nothin'. 

I'm caught up in the Cosmic War, too. Blerg.:blink:

BurgundyBoy likes this

Stalls stink, no mistake. It seems like they go on forever. Here's my spreadsheet graph of my losses so far - as you can see, the farther out I go, the more obvious it is that the stalls aren't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but boy, those first two really threw me for a loop. I've quit tracking the everyday ups and downs and only track the downs now, so I'll go a few days without inputting any numbers. It seems to make me feel a little more relaxed about it. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 12.29.26 PM.png

BurgundyBoy likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Carina said:

IMG_1991.JPG

Nice legs, don't you think ?! Doubt he was involved in cosmic wars, though. Just continental ones.

Edited by BurgundyBoy
Cosmic War reference.

4 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

Stalls stink, no mistake. It seems like they go on forever. Here's my spreadsheet graph of my losses so far - as you can see, the farther out I go, the more obvious it is that the stalls aren't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but boy, those first two really threw me for a loop. I've quit tracking the everyday ups and downs and only track the downs now, so I'll go a few days without inputting any numbers. It seems to make me feel a little more relaxed about it. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 12.29.26 PM.png

That's incredible, Jen!!!

3 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

That's incredible, Jen!!!

I know! It keeps my spirits up when I'm stalled, for sure. 

If you're not using an app or website that does a nice chart, make sure and get one. My Fitness Pal's is terrible. This one is just a Google Spreadsheet I made for myself, with its accompanying chart. I love me some data.

Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 12.45.15 PM.png

Trish13 likes this

Yup, most of our weight loss (especially the ladies) charts like it's a funhouse staircase.

On a separate note, I'd strongly encourage taking body measurements in addition to regular weigh-ins. There were weeks, especially early out, where I lost inches but not pounds.

I understand your frustration. After being obese for so long, we're done being patient. After everything you went through to get here, you want to see some dog-gone results already! Hang in there, toots. You've just had 80% of your stomach removed....it will happen :-)

NerdyLady and Carina like this

43 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

@Carina and @BurgundyBoy I have been going through a bit of a stall myself. I hit a serious stall at three weeks and now at six weeks, I'm only losing a few oz every few days. It is really frustrating but I'm trying to focus on the big picture. It sucks, I'm not going to lie.

I haven't been good about measuring but I did notice my bust line go down. *Ladies, I was running after a bus and I didn't have enough support, if you know what I mean* I measured myself and even though I hadn't lost significant weight, I went from a 44DD to a 40DD. As my friends say, that's not nothin'. 

I'm caught up in the Cosmic War, too. Blerg.:blink:

We really have to do something about these Cosmic Wars and the invisible Aliens that hijack our weight loss.... seems to be quite infectious.... 

For new TTFs, we might give them more of an head's up that stalls happen, will drive them crazy, and... maybe we don't have to say it is due to Aliens... might lose some credibility ... :rolleyes:

NerdyLady likes this

Posted (edited)

@Jen581791 How long were your first stalls?

Edited by Carina

Oh man. I'm at 3 weeks postop this week not excited about a stall.  So with my surgeon they want you to start puréed at 3 weeks.  For those with the 3 week stall did you also start puréed foods also at that time ?

1 hour ago, Hotmamatime said:

Oh man. I'm at 3 weeks postop this week not excited about a stall.  So with my surgeon they want you to start puréed at 3 weeks.  For those with the 3 week stall did you also start puréed foods also at that time ?

Me too but my stall started a few days ago. I left hospital day 3 already on purees. At my two week post-op the surgeon said to start eating any foods or textures that I want and can tolerate. So far the only food I've had issues with are eggs. I'll try them again in a couple of weeks because eggs are a mainstay of my diet.

NerdyLady likes this

1 hour ago, Hotmamatime said:

I started my purees at 4 weeks. I was still on a liquid diet when I started to stall. 

@Carina - My first two stalls were like a week, week and a half each, so not that long, but accompanied by slow losses on either side. I'm in another stall now, but I know my body is changing, and this is a normal thing, so I'm not too bothered by it. It'll be over soon. This is the first stall I haven't been too bothered by, and I think I've undergone some positive mental changes in the past few weeks that have helped out a bit. It's all adding up. I'll get there. You'll get there. We'll be fine :) 

Carina likes this

22 hours ago, Carina said:

You could stay off the scale and you'd never know you were in a stall.  I weighed myself so infrequently, (like 5 times in the first 4 months) I wasnt even aware of a stall unless it lasted a month.  But even during my longest stall, I dropped a whole pant size, so no complaints here.

If the numbers are going to stress you out, try counting NSVs to measure your progress instead.  Those are the things I remember anyways....the day my rings fit (and then started falling off),  the day I bought single digit size jeans, the day I quit taking pain meds for my knees and ankles, being able to cross my legs under a table, sitting in the doctors office with normal BP, etc.

Jen581791, BurgundyBoy, LeeC and 1 other like this

Prior to my WLS, I had a documented 35 year history of failed dieting attempts - all sabotaged by what I perceived as a failure the first week I didn't see a decrease on the scale.

Because of that, I chose not to have scales in the house until I got into the normal BMI range for my height.  I relied on surgeon and PCP visit for a weigh-in.  That allowed me to focus on the importance of following the programme and regular exercise.

Bottom line, I couldn't let the scales dictate the tone of the day and ruin what was my last hope of a future as a person of normal weight. 

1 hour ago, cinwa said:

Prior to my WLS, I had a documented 35 year history of failed dieting attempts - all sabotaged by what I perceived as a failure the first week I didn't see a decrease on the scale.

Because of that, I chose not to have scales in the house until I got into the normal BMI range for my height.  I relied on surgeon and PCP visit for a weigh-in.  That allowed me to focus on the importance of following the programme and regular exercise.

Bottom line, I couldn't let the scales dictate the tone of the day and ruin what was my last hope of a future as a person of normal weight. 

@cinwa I really admire your determination and stick-to-it-iveness in keeping up with that strategy! You know yourself well and came up with a plan to work with your strengths and weaknesses. 

I fall on the other side of the great scale debate: it's when I don't weigh myself that I allow myself to get in trouble. Every time in the past when I've either avoided or not had access to a scale, I've been less motivated to stay on top of things and have gained weight. Over the last few months I've managed to depersonalize the scale results somewhat in that I don't feel successful or unsuccessful when I see the number. I just feel like I'm recording data and keeping track of trends - like I'm weighing a scientific specimen. At the same time, the NSVs are where I'm actually finding a sense of joy.

Motivation is a really complex issue. Probably the best plan for each person is to deeply examine what triggers their own positive and negative emotions and use that knowledge to come up with a motivational strategy that exploits those. People are so different! It's really useful to have such a wide variety of experiences here on TTF for people to draw from. 

Smashlee83, cinwa, Jabsie and 1 other like this

@cinwa I love your approach and plan to do the same during the weight loss phase. Why torture myself and fixate and obsess when it's not necessary and the weight loss will be the same regardless? How often do you weigh during maintenance?

@Jen581791 I see where you're coming from. I feel like I could get in trouble if I don't weigh frequently during maintenance. 

Jen581791 likes this