Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrsJump

Protein hurts my stomach

6 posts in this topic

I'm 3 weeks post op and since surgery protein shakes and anything with protein hurts my stomach. I don't know if it's causing gas or what. The only protein I seem to be able to do is adding a little unflavored powder to yogurt or potatoes that I cook in bone broth. I know potatoes are a no no but I can eat them without pain.. right now I'm just trying to not hurt 30 minutes at a time every 2 to 3 hours so I can work... has anyone else had this issue???

Posted (edited)

Have you tried other protein powders besides whey? I find my stomach tolerates egg white protein powder much better than whey products. Maybe try tofu?

Edited by Gretta
Jen581791 likes this

49 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Have you tried other protein powders besides whey? I find my stomach tolerates egg white protein powder much better than whey products. Maybe try tofu?

I'd cut any dairy to check for lactose problems first, then if it's still bothering you, change protein powder, and try tofu for some protein. Small cubes of medium tofu cooked in soup went down really easily for me at the beginning. Thai curry soup, yum.

If all those things don't help, I guess call the surgeon - not good if you can't get your protein in. 

I developed a temporary lactose intolerance shortly after my WLS and switched Lactaid milk and a soy protein powder (Nature's Plus Spiru-Tein).

It's certainly worth trying whey alternatives to see if that helps.  And I'd also recommend trying Lactaid Ultra chewable tablets too (chewable tablets that are an enzyme that works by helping the digestion of milk sugar.).

MrsJump, sorry to hear of your circumstances. I had a fair amount of what I termed minor discomforts and pain after surgery, and I get that now only when I eat too much. I took a probiotic and took fiber supplements. Yes I had some gas too but earlier than 3 weeks out. 

I also bought a vegan plant-based powder at Costco that tastes pretty good. I'm not vegan but my son is, and I figured that he might want to keep his protein intake up. We both think it tastes good and mixes up well into smoothies and such. Maybe that would help.

You have to do what you have to do, but potatoes are nearly all starch. A lot of the fat-burning after surgery is due to the high-protein intake we have, which induces ketosis. If you have to eat potatoes then you really have to let your surgical team know, since the starch in potatoes will be consumed by your body instead of your fat and undermine your weight loss. Your nutritionist may have some good and specific advice that is tailored to your individual circumstances. 

I noticed you mentioned bone broth. I take a cup of bone or chicken broth, just boil it, add a touch of lemon or balsamic vinegar, take it off the heat and then beat in an egg - like Greek lemon-egg or Chinese egg-drop soup. It cooks instantly. My stomach never has any problem with that, lots of protein and no carbs, counts towards my fluids, and tasty too! Might be one way to keep up the protein intake. 

Good luck ---

Posted (edited)

Mashed potatoes are on my surgeon's recommended list of foods for the first 6 weeks. The amount we eat in that early stage is so low it makes little difference, and while for weightloss purposes carbs should be held low, they are still an important food group to incorporate into your diet. Potatoes can also carry lots of flavours via herbs and spices that eating them encourages us to eat solids rather than rely on shakes and soups.  I use an egg instead of milk to mash mine. That gives a larger amount of protien and while the egg gets cooked by the hot potatoes I find I can actually tolerate the egg done this way, whereas I haven't tolerated it cooked any other way. Eggs are a good source of B12 in a time when many of us aren't getting it from meats. In the longer term though potatoes are best left off your menu. If you can tolerate potatoes then you can probably also tolerate sweet potato and pumpkin. It's well worth mixing them up in mashes not only for more vitamins but also for variety in your meals.

At just under three weeks out myself, eating any solids causes me discomfort for a short while. It's normal and I'm sure will improve with time.

Edited by Aussie H