Sammy128

Hello

27 posts in this topic

Hello everyone I am new here, just joined a few minutes ago actually. My name is Samantha, I'm 28 years, 5 ft 8 in and I weigh 320 lbs. For as far back as I can remember I have been overweight and I have now come to the point where I have decided that I am going to have weight loss surgery. I have tried many different diet plans in the past to lose weight and then I would end up gaining again. Last year was the best that I have ever done at losing weight, I lost about 60 lbs and I was able to get down to 275 but unfortunately I have gained most of the weight back. And even with my best efforts I am now stuck at 320lbs. I have been doing lots of research on the internet and reading books and I have decided that I want to have the sleeve gastrectomy done. I am still in the early stages of my journey but I would love to get more information from people who have gone through or are going through this journey because I don't know of anyone personally who I can speak to. Thank you very much. 

Welcome, Samantha! You've come to the right place for information and support. I'm having the sleeve surgery done on the 31st. Hope to get to know you better.

Trish1967 likes this

Thank you, and all the best with your surgery. So how has the process been for you so far?

Trish1967 likes this

I went to a seminar in late February. We were told most people have to wait 6 months to have surgery as an insurance requirement. When I went to my first appointment with the surgeon, I discovered I didn't have that requirement. That was a surprise! I thought I'd have longer to mentally prepare. I do feel ready, though.

I've been able to jump through the hoops pretty quickly (nutrition seminar, support grouo, bloodwork, psych eval, primary doc clearance,...). I've managed to lose 31 pounds while waiting for surgery. I'm happy with that, and even happier surgery will help me keep it off this time!

Trish1967 likes this

Wow Im happy for you. I have my consultation on the 31st. Its something that I have been contemplating for some time and right now I feel ready hopefully things will go smoothly for me and I can have it done before the end of the year. I'm actually feel excited and scared of going through with it.

Trish1967 likes this

Your feelings are totally normal. The 31st will be a big day for both if us!

Trish1967 likes this

Yeah it will ^_^

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome! There's so much wisdom, experience, and support here on TTF. Spend some time digging around the site and don't be afraid to ask questions :) 

Res Ipsa and Trish1967 like this

Posted (edited)

Welcome aboard Samantha!

You will find a wealth of information on here and a bunch of very helpful, supportive people. :)

Edited by Havamal
Sammy128 and Trish1967 like this

Welcome to Thinner Times Samantha!

Trish1967 likes this

3 hours ago, cinwa said:

Welcome to Thinner Times Samantha!

Thank you

Trish1967 likes this

12 hours ago, Havamal said:

Welcome aboard Samantha!

You will find a wealth of information on here and a bunch of very helpful, supportive people. :)

Thank I'm glad that I was able to find a community like this to help as I continue through my journey.

Trish1967 likes this

15 hours ago, Sammy128 said:

Hello everyone I am new here, just joined a few minutes ago actually. My name is Samantha, I'm 28 years, 5 ft 8 in and I weigh 320 lbs. For as far back as I can remember I have been overweight and I have now come to the point where I have decided that I am going to have weight loss surgery. I have tried many different diet plans in the past to lose weight and then I would end up gaining again. Last year was the best that I have ever done at losing weight, I lost about 60 lbs and I was able to get down to 275 but unfortunately I have gained most of the weight back. And even with my best efforts I am now stuck at 320lbs. I have been doing lots of research on the internet and reading books and I have decided that I want to have the sleeve gastrectomy done. I am still in the early stages of my journey but I would love to get more information from people who have gone through or are going through this journey because I don't know of anyone personally who I can speak to. Thank you very much. 

Hi Sammy128, welcome. 

From my perspective - am still a newbie, only 8 weeks after sleeve gastrectomy - I would pay attention to what I call the 4 pillars of success. You don't need all 4 to be perfect. Some people lose weight without exercise, but your chances of success are higher with it. Kudos for choosing to research this and to plan ahead of time. 

(1) Get your psychological issues in order. If you are depressed or anxious or whatever... get them in order. Weight loss surgery just makes your stomach smaller, it does not make any psychological issues go away. Losing weight does not cure anxiety or keep food from being an emotional crutch when you are stressed out. (2) - Identify your social supports. This web site can help and be one element of your support. Cultivate a supportive environment for after your surgery. Not everyone has a supportive family, so tap on your friends too! Think about who you might tell at work, why, or why not, and prepare that part of your environment as well. (3) - After surgery, don't cheat (eat Cheetos or sip on sugary colas all day). There are You Tube videos of clueless people who eat potato chips all day long and then say the surgery failed. (4) - Get exercise. People who exercise after surgery statistically lose more weight and have an higher chance of sustained and successful weight loss. It's also an anti-depressant. 

Predictors of FAILING to lose weight in the long run are a lack of social support, unmet psychological issues, food cheating, and failure to engage in exercise. They are the opposite of the success pillars. None of this is rocket science.

The good thing is it's now a proven method with known issues. Just have to follow the program. Each one of us has personal issues and challenges. Doesn't mean it's easy but it is, unlike dieting, effective. There. Now I'm off the soap box. 

Natasja and Trish1967 like this

Welcome to the board Sammy! Lots of love and support here.

Trish1967 likes this

2 hours ago, like_rain_to_sea said:

Welcome to the board Sammy! Lots of love and support here.

Thank you

Trish1967 likes this

5 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Hi Sammy128, welcome. 

From my perspective - am still a newbie, only 8 weeks after sleeve gastrectomy - I would pay attention to what I call the 4 pillars of success. You don't need all 4 to be perfect. Some people lose weight without exercise, but your chances of success are higher with it. Kudos for choosing to research this and to plan ahead of time. 

(1) Get your psychological issues in order. If you are depressed or anxious or whatever... get them in order. Weight loss surgery just makes your stomach smaller, it does not make any psychological issues go away. Losing weight does not cure anxiety or keep food from being an emotional crutch when you are stressed out. (2) - Identify your social supports. This web site can help and be one element of your support. Cultivate a supportive environment for after your surgery. Not everyone has a supportive family, so tap on your friends too! Think about who you might tell at work, why, or why not, and prepare that part of your environment as well. (3) - After surgery, don't cheat (eat Cheetos or sip on sugary colas all day). There are You Tube videos of clueless people who eat potato chips all day long and then say the surgery failed. (4) - Get exercise. People who exercise after surgery statistically lose more weight and have an higher chance of sustained and successful weight loss. It's also an anti-depressant. 

Predictors of FAILING to lose weight in the long run are a lack of social support, unmet psychological issues, food cheating, and failure to engage in exercise. They are the opposite of the success pillars. None of this is rocket science.

The good thing is it's now a proven method with known issues. Just have to follow the program. Each one of us has personal issues and challenges. Doesn't mean it's easy but it is, unlike dieting, effective. There. Now I'm off the soap box. 

Thank you very much. This was all very informative. And I will definitely keep those 4 pillars of success in mind as I go through this journey.

Trish1967 likes this

Sammy, there are some recent postings about things like weight loss "stalls" - times when after surgery the trajectory of weight loss takes a breather - good to know about those too, since they are temporary but real challenges to our motivation and persistence. Also postings about what people have said to their bosses and co-workers - some postings very practical, some postings very thought out and reflective. 

Res Ipsa, Sammy128 and Trish1967 like this

On 5/20/2017 at 2:39 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

Sammy, there are some recent postings about things like weight loss "stalls" - times when after surgery the trajectory of weight loss takes a breather - good to know about those too, since they are temporary but real challenges to our motivation and persistence. Also postings about what people have said to their bosses and co-workers - some postings very practical, some postings very thought out and reflective. 

Ok I'll make sure to check those out also, thanks.

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome, Sammy!! This is a great place to be, no matter where you are in your journey. There is a huge amount of support here :) 

Hi and welcome Sammy. I have some similar stats starting out as you.  Although I'm a bit on the shorter side at 5'3 i started at 320 pounds before my sleeve surgery i am also close in age this has been an exciting journey and so far i have lost over 70 pounds and am down to 249 pounds.  This has definitely been one of the best decisions of my life.  I am starting to have more energy i no longer have knee pain and in general i am able to keep up with my 5 year old son.  I will say having a therapist has been one of my biggest outside resources for this journey as many others have said the psychological aspect doesn't disappear. Head hunger definitely can be a big obstacle after surgery. Good luck and you will definitely find some good info on here as well. 

14 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

Welcome, Sammy!! This is a great place to be, no matter where you are in your journey. There is a huge amount of support here :) 

Thank you

Trish1967 likes this

12 hours ago, ktallon said:

Hi and welcome Sammy. I have some similar stats starting out as you.  Although I'm a bit on the shorter side at 5'3 i started at 320 pounds before my sleeve surgery i am also close in age this has been an exciting journey and so far i have lost over 70 pounds and am down to 249 pounds.  This has definitely been one of the best decisions of my life.  I am starting to have more energy i no longer have knee pain and in general i am able to keep up with my 5 year old son.  I will say having a therapist has been one of my biggest outside resources for this journey as many others have said the psychological aspect doesn't disappear. Head hunger definitely can be a big obstacle after surgery. Good luck and you will definitely find some good info on here as well. 

Thank you. I don't have any children yet but I do want to and I want to be healthy when I do. How long ago did you have your surgery done?

Hello and welcome! :)

@Sammy128 i had my surgery in February

Wow Im so happy for you. How are you feeling now?