Missdigital

Three weeks out having a rough patch please give advice

11 posts in this topic

I had my surgery on April 28 it's been about three weeks now the last three days have been impossible I can't hold anything down I try to eat and I get really nauseous even when I think I'm eating the right things for example 

Today I want to work had about two of scrambled eggs soft scrambled

drank Crystal light proceeded to take hair skin and nail vitamins multivitamins and a chewy vitamins

After that I got really nauseous and wouldn't stop throwing up everything including Crystal light came back up I had to leave work it's very hard I don't want to let people at work know

I tried eating the soup later but couldn't eat any of it because it came right back up again 

Please help I haven't been able to keep much down in the last two days

Is this normal? 

The first few weeks after surgery can be rough. It should get better. Try sticking to protein shakes and see if that helps. I love the Premier Protein ready made chocolate shakes - you can buy them at Walgreens, CVS, Costco and Amazon. 

tracyringo, Jen581791 and Trish1967 like this

Thank you it seems like if I don't eat it's fine everything I feel great the only thing I can tolerate her protein shakes and I'm getting sick of those and some soup

It can take a loooong time for people to be able to handle scrambled eggs. It stinks when your brain is ready for variety but your healing stomach isn't. How about yogurt, jello shots with protein powder, cottage cheese, string cheese, mushy vegetables like cauliflower & sweet potatoes, tofu, refried beans, baked ricotta with tomato sauce,...?

tracyringo, Jen581791 and Trish1967 like this

I'm just going to second what Gretta and Res Ipsa said - take it easy and do shakes, yogurt, soup, and cottage cheese for now and see how it goes. I'm more than 3 months out and eggs are still the hardest thing for me (so I avoid them for now). Have you tried Eggface's Ricotta Bake? If not, it's awesome. You can Google the recipe. 

If that stuff won't go/stay down, a call to your surgeon is probably a good idea.

Best of luck :) It gets better!

Edited by Jen581791

Missdigital - it's always worth putting in a call to your surgeon's office for their advice.

It took me 6 months to be able to eat scrambled eggs again, and chicken still gives me issues. Just listen to your body, if you're able to eat soups, and what not, then go for that right now. 

BurgundyBoy likes this

Dear Missdigital, The protein drinks may be boring but while this gets sorted out, they will keep you fed and hydrated. 

8 weeks out, no way I can eat 2 scrambled eggs at one time. I had one this morning with a corn tortilla and I am totally maxed out. (I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy). Are you forcing yourself to eat too much too quickly? Perhaps I am wrong, but it sounds like you are feeling pressured to "eat normally" at work.  If you don't want people to know you had surgery, you might say you are on a diet to "explain" your weight loss and relax more about your intake. 

I'd call my surgeon too. This could just be a stage you are in but if you can't keep anything down they need to know, especially with a weekend coming up. Once in a while after surgery things get too tight on the inside. 

You might be having a reaction to the aspartame in Crystal Light, combined with overload. That stuff tastes good going down, but not so good coming back up, in my case. It can also cause diarrhea. As for the eggs, I agree that they can be hard to digest. My nutritionist said only egg whites, no whole eggs, and only a quarter cup at a time at most. They can still be hard on my stomach. I am encouraged that my stomach can already tolerate more and different foods. I still use a protein shake if I can't get in enough protein, and that is almost every day.

Do you think you might have eaten too fast? I notice I pressure myself to eat faster than I should when I am at work, or if I think (operative word here is "think") someone is waiting on me.

I agree. Scrambled eggs are hard to digest. I know protein shakes, yogurt, and cottage cheese gets boring but slow and steady is best.

BurgundyBoy likes this

@Missdigital

Perhaps you could have another visit with your program's nutritionist. I have found them full of sound advice. When I had issues like yours, I found just changing the frozen fruit that I blended into my protein shake helped to prevent boredom.