ktallon

Confessions

16 posts in this topic

So I feel like I need to make a bit of a confession. My son has been in the hospital since last Friday, and my eating has been absolutely terrible. I feel like I was doing so good and then all this stress hit me. I have been on the slippery slope of bad food choices for a few days now. I have honestly forgotten to eat quite a bit and then when I realize how long its been it usually is to late to eat in the hospital cafeteria so it becomes a vending machine meal. I am truly disappointed in myself. I know what I need to do I just don't know how to fix it while I am here with my son. I haven't left my son's side because I am all he has. I have also been in a stall for about 2 weeks now. so I am wondering if at this point I should do the 5 day pouch test in order to get back on track completely.

NerdyLady likes this

So sorry you're having to deal with this. I don't think being disappointed in yourself is necessary; you're in survival mode. Are you literally not going home at all? Could someone bring you something healthy to eat? 

I wouldn't think the pouch test would be necessary so soon, and you've got other things on your mind at the moment.

I hope your son gets better soon. Try to take care of yourself, especially since you're all he has. :-)

I'm on the go all the time so as I don't understand being trapped at a hospital, I do understand being at the mercy of take out sometimes.  I get a grilled chicken breast at just about any fast food restaurant.  Now if you will be tempted to get something else then stay the heck away but now I just know that's what I'm getting.  McDonalds has a grilled chicken breast for $2.00.  It may not be the healthiest piece of meat but that's my go to.  I go to Chick-fil-a often and get the grilled chicken nuggets from there too.  Sometimes for me just confessing it helps me bring light to the problem and then I can move on.  I hope that you are taking this opportunity to just move on from the mess and make better choices.  Give yourself some grace for your son being in the hospital but now it's time to make better choices and move on!  Hope your son gets better!!

NerdyLady and Michael_A like this

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling bad right now. Don't be too hard on yourself - you're focusing on someone else at the moment, which is natural. Is there any healthy food at the hospital cafeteria? If so, you could set yourself an alarm to go grab something quickly, enough to get through the day. Is there anyone to bring something to you? Bars, shakes, string cheese? 

I hope your son is doing OK. Worrying about a child has to be a huge source of stress. Be kind to yourself.

like_rain_to_sea and NerdyLady like this

2 hours ago, ktallon said:

So I feel like I need to make a bit of a confession. My son has been in the hospital since last Friday, and my eating has been absolutely terrible. I feel like I was doing so good and then all this stress hit me. I have been on the slippery slope of bad food choices for a few days now. I have honestly forgotten to eat quite a bit and then when I realize how long its been it usually is to late to eat in the hospital cafeteria so it becomes a vending machine meal. I am truly disappointed in myself. I know what I need to do I just don't know how to fix it while I am here with my son. I haven't left my son's side because I am all he has. I have also been in a stall for about 2 weeks now. so I am wondering if at this point I should do the 5 day pouch test in order to get back on track completely.

Dear ktallon, best of luck with all this. Your're doing what you have to do to be at the hospital. 

If you are writing notes like this then am sure you are making the best choices you can given what is in the machines. Don't be disappointed in yourself. I have bought burgers at McDonalds and tossed the buns ... at least there aren't any carbs in the meat patties. 

If there is someplace nearby where you can buy some protein bars, or hard boiled eggs, or lo-fat milk, go for it. May not be ** ideal ** but you've been dealt a tough deal. 

NerdyLady likes this

First of all, I hope that your son gets better soon.  My best wishes and prayers are with him, you and your family.

All of us (or at least almost all of us) go through brief stretches of time after our weight loss surgeries when we do not make the best food choices. For example, I recently came back from a nice vacation to San Diego during which I ate lots of carbs (nachos, cookies etc) and enjoyed plenty of good California wine. :rolleyes: 

When I returned back home to Boston and saw the damage (up about five pounds), I did not panic or blame myself, I simply buckled myself down to a strict post op diet high in lean protein and water, and low in calories and carbs. The extra weight fell off in a few days. 

In other words, do not blame yourself for the past, but instead focus on the present and future so that you reach your goal weight and maintain it long term. 

Remember, nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

We are here to support you. 

Nothing like seeing your baby sick to trigger those tried and true coping mechanisms.  I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, but you can absolutely do this.  You can't change the past so there's no point in dwelling on it as long as you learn from it.  If he's going to be in the hospital awhile longer, see if you can stock up on some room temp stable foods...protein bars, jerky, nuts, tuna pouches, etc.  Just get through this as best you can and be committed to getting back to good habits when you are able.

Best to you and your son.

I can think of fewer things more anxiety and stress provoking that having a child hospitalized. I'm thinking the best of thoughts for your boy and wishing him a speedy recovery.

I'm not suggesting you check out in regards to your eating but I do think you have enough on your plate right now (no pun intended) and the food guilt you feel may actually be more detrimental than what you ate. Try and let it go. It's been a couple of days. A small course correction can get you back on track. I'd suggest asking a friend or family member to bring you some healthy options or at the very least, some protein shakes you can drink if the caf is closed.

Hang in there lady. This too shall pass.

I wish I lived close enough to deliver you a care package full of protein goodies! I hope your son recovers quickly. Be gentle with yourself during a tough time like this. Are you sleeping sitting up in the hospital? Is it helping the GERD?

NerdyLady and like_rain_to_sea like this

Do you have a CVS/Target etc near you where you can pick up some protein shakes? It isn't idea but it might be a good option for a little bit.

Your son is in my thoughts and prayers. 

How's your son doing?  Hope you are doing better..

Carina likes this

On 5/18/2017 at 10:06 AM, ktallon said:

We are rooting for you and your son, ktallon. Hope you are doing ok...

Carina likes this

Just an update my son got out of the hospital on Sunday  Monday i went to have a new stent placed.  Had a few complications and had to spend some time at the hospital. I am now home and we are both just resting and recovering. My stall has been broken weather its been because of the liquid diet i am currently on or not i really don't know. I am now down to 249 as of this morning. Hopefully i will continue to do well and everything will be smooth from here on out. Also thank you all for your kind words it definitely helped get me through this rough patch.

Vaultgirl72, Clickin, Carina and 1 other like this

@ktallon So glad to hear you are both home and recovering. Take it easy :) 

Welcome home (to your home & this one)!

2 hours ago, ktallon said:

Just an update my son got out of the hospital on Sunday  Monday i went to have a new stent placed.  Had a few complications and had to spend some time at the hospital. I am now home and we are both just resting and recovering. My stall has been broken weather its been because of the liquid diet i am currently on or not i really don't know. I am now down to 249 as of this morning. Hopefully i will continue to do well and everything will be smooth from here on out. Also thank you all for your kind words it definitely helped get me through this rough patch.

Grateful both you and your son are ok. 

Hard to tell what breaks a stall. I have decided it must be the weather half way around the world. I just haven't figured out exactly where that is. ;)