misschris924

sad.. Two weeks post opp please help

9 posts in this topic

Hi I had my surgery two weeks ago on 5/2 and lost 13 pounds in four days then gained 8 pounds and am at a stall. I'm depressed it's only a five pound loss in two weeks. Can anyone help?

Are you eating and drinking enough. I'm two weeks out today, and have consistently lost until today. A stall in the third week is normal and you just need to stay on plan and be patient. Our bodies have just gone through enormous stress and need time to adjust. That said they need lots of water to be able to clear the toxins both from the surgery and the breakdown of fat tissue, so make water a priority.

Just another note here... Today I've found that I've hit a wall and am fatigued beyond belief. This too is absolutely normal but will likely take a heavy toll on your mood. Accept it and for now take things day by day. Sticking to your diet plan will work. I told myself that my scale was going to be put away the first time it went up. I'm going back now to once a week weighs, because the natural ups and downs of weightloss depress me even though I understand they happen regularly and I've seen them too many times over the years to know they are normal.

You will get past this as long as you follow your surgeon's plan

LeeC, Trish1967, Res Ipsa and 1 other like this

Try focus on the fact you have lost 5 pounds YIPPEE celebrate your achievements. Ups and downs are a normal process.

I look at the stalling stages exciting because I appreciate the future weight loss even more.

I have also found once I excepted stalls to be part of my weight loss journey I was able to put the scales away and only use them once a week.

I am almost 6 weeks post op but week 2 and 3 I was very emotional and everything did get me down, I kept reading post on TTF and draw positively from all the wonderful support on offer.

Try focus on the positives just like the saying Positive brings positivity

Cairue, Jen581791 and Trish1967 like this

3 hours ago, misschris924 said:

Hi I had my surgery two weeks ago on 5/2 and lost 13 pounds in four days then gained 8 pounds and am at a stall. I'm depressed it's only a five pound loss in two weeks. Can anyone help?

Keep plugging away! You'll be fine. Your body is remodeling itself. Just make sure you are actually eating lots of protein and few carbs, drinking a lot of fluid, and getting some modicrum of exercise to move everything about. This formula works. Laws of physics and biology and whatnot. This isn't rocket science nor is it magic. Your body is unique though and will take its own unique path to weight loss. That's what makes you magic. Some suggestions you may have already taken advantage of: 

If the scale is driving you crazy, only weigh yourself every week or 10 days or month, like Aussie H suggests. Cinwa on this forum avoided the whole discouragement-caused-by-a-stall thing by only getting weighed monthly at her surgeon/ doctor's office. Who needs the stress? if you feel like you need to do **SOMETHING**, walk an extra mile or two today. Exercise helps weight loss, it is the best anti-depressant around, it will build up your muscle mass, and it will help mobilize water weight. Plus long-term weight loss after WLS is maximized in people who exercise. 

A lot of people on TTF recommend measuring yourself - neck, thighs, waist, upper arms, whatever - These get smaller when you are remodeling, even if your weight stays the same for a while. I wish I had taken some measurements dating to right after surgery, it would have helped me psychologically during my own stalls. It may sound weird, but I am certain my neck and waist shrunk faster than my legs did. 

My personal experience with stalls is at the end of them, I lose multiple pounds - once I lost 4 lbs in 2 days, another time 5 lbs in 3 days. It's human nature though for bad experiences to have more emotional weight than the good ones. So the days I went up 2 lbs cost me more emotionally than the pleasure I have had in going down 2 lbs.

Sounds like your temporary turn upwards has stolen your pleasure in overall losing weight. Maybe instead you can count the days you have taken in a reduced number of calories rather than the pounds lost. That daily habit, that practice, that new behavior... will lead to great things. 

Relax. It is going to be fine. Stalls are normal. What is important is that you stick to the diet from your surgeon, drink lots of no calorie liquids (like water or flavored water drinks without calories), eat lean protein, take your vitamins, avoid alcohol or smoking, work out regularly or lead an active lifestyle, and do not drink just before, during and after a meal. Also, if you are seeing a therapist or take mental health medicines, be sure to keep on doing these things.

We are here to support you on your weight loss surgery journey.

This guide to the proper diet after a gastric bypass from one of the best hospitals in Boston may be helpful to you:

https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/~/media/Brochures/TuftsMC/Patient Care Services/Departments and Services/Weight and Wellness Center/GBP Diet Manual12611.ashx

Thanks guys. Have an appointment with my surgeon today so I can weigh myself on his scale and talk to him I'll let you know what he says

Trish1967 likes this

On May 18, 2017 at 9:42 AM, misschris924 said:

Thanks guys. Have an appointment with my surgeon today so I can weigh myself on his scale and talk to him I'll let you know what he says

How did your appointment with the surgeon go? How are you doing?

It's an emotional rollercoaster early on. As others have said, be sure to follow the plan. You will get to your goal if you follow the plan. You may slip up from time to time (I have, and many others have as well-)but dust yourself off and get right back on plan. You can do it. We are all rooting for you!

Take your measurements.  If you're not losing you may be losing inches..I measured everything; neck, wrist, upper arm, thigh, ankle.  In the end I lost inches everywhere.  Hubby was amazed I lost 3+ inches in my neck..