Aksh

Pre-op Dude from Delhi

Recommended Posts

Hi folks,

So I decided I'd like to join this forum because while I was researching my surgery options and trying to learn about them both medically and in terms of peoples experiences and such, I stumbled on here and lurked around seeing the discussions on different parts of the board - and the truth is I liked the vibe of people and the interactions and support and all.

Where I am, here in India, we still don't really have a culture for support groups, just as a concept its still relatively new to us and while they do exist and the surgeons all have their versions and I sat in on a meeting or two, its more like a meeting with presentations and such than just people talking and sharing. It is in part, but about half the time was someone from the medical team (and pretty much all were present) talking about nutrition post-op and the psychologist talking about the fear of surgery - all relevant buuut not what I was looking for really. Interestingly the real support group part of it seems to be on instant-messaging groups on the phone that the patients all seem to be a part of.

Anyway!

I'm just over 33, I am a pretty big dude weighing in at about 130+ kg and I've been some kind of overweight pretty much since I was a kid. Long story short, I had medical reasons why I put on weight as a kid but I wasn't obese, but as it turns out recently when I did a test that my basic metabolic rate was a little on the low side. Couple that with not being overly sporty, being a serious loner bookworm and I'm a huge foodie - not a glutton really, I just love food and I even enjoy cooking but funnily enough when I cook I forget to eat - and you have a recipe for weight gain over time. In addition I had some very bad periods of emotional stress and became a severe emotional eater, something I do struggle with even today.

So after a few months of research and much argumentation with my family, I'm going in for a RYGB on the 30th of this month and hopefully that'll be a step on the path to a better lifestyle and a better state of health for me because I've yoyo-d my weight for years and everyone else be damned, I want to be in better shape - I'm lucky that I don't have diabetes or a heart condition or any of the many things that can come with my kind of obesity and with a family history of both from my mom and dads sides of the family.

So I'll be hopefully dropping back in here from time to time to talk to you folks as I get closer to the date and even post-op because I really think that talking to people who genuinely understand both the struggle and emotional burdens of obesity and the experience of losing it and the struggle post operation will be very important.

Cheers all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and welcome! I'm glad you found the community here to be friendly and helpful. I do, too :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. You seem to be doing really well, best of luck for the rest of your weight loss journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aksh said:

So I'll be hopefully dropping back in here from time to time to talk to you folks as I get closer to the date and even post-op because I really think that talking to people who genuinely understand both the struggle and emotional burdens of obesity and the experience of losing it and the struggle post operation will be very important.

Cheers all.

Stop by often and keep us updated. As you have seen already, there are a lot of people here, in all different situations and all walks of life. There is no support group where I am at either, so, like many other folks, this forum will be my support group after surgery.

Regarding your upcoming surgery-- do your best right now to start identifying poor eating habits, patters, etc, and change what you can ahead of time. Your surgery will only be a tool-- you will only get out of it what you put into it. 

Best wishes my friend and I look forward to your updates.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Michael :)

I'm still a little torn about doing a RYGB vs a VSG but not about the surgery. As for identifying bad habits, Ive been doing that for a while - in fact last year or so I got into going to the gym 3 days a week and playing Badminton twice a week and was basically exercising 5 days a week for an hour at a time and have dramatically altered eating habits/items slowly but surely. Lost about 18 kg, but I'm plateau-ing and struggling to exercise any more because the excess weight puts such a strain on my system/joints/muscles and if I push too hard then I'm aching and can't properly exercise for 2-3 days after  - all of this is part of why I want to get a surgery done because I need that extra help to drop more weight so that I can push past this giant wall and get further down the road.

I will definitely be sharing my experience here and it's already really nice to interact with the people in just the short amount I've started posting :D

Cheers and all the very best to you too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! Your surgery is the day before mine. It will be fun to lose together :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Welcome! Your surgery is the day before mine. It will be fun to lose together :D

Haha! :D

Well good to meet you and yup, nice to have someone doing this side-by-side, even half a world away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The countdown is on! I'm excited for us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Thinner Times Aksh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!  I spent a wonderful year living in Delhi (Green Park) a few years while I was in university, so I understand how different India can be from the USA. I loved the city and the people, although the summer weather was way too hot and sticky for my liking.

I had a RNY gastric bypass a few years ago, and my only regret is that I did not have it sooner. It allowed me to lose about 130 pounds (59 kg) and then keep it off. I currently eat a balanced healthy diet (with a little chocolate each day since I cannot image life without chocolate :rolleyes:), and feel so much more alive and happy with life.

Although I totally respect why other people decided to have the VSG sleeve surgery, I am 100 percent happy that I had a gastric bypass, as the continued malabsorption of calories allows me not to regain weight now that I am at my goal weight and I have no reflux problems.

For me, this forum is my main support group, and I have not gone to any in person support groups since my surgery. 

Since information from surgeons in India on post operation diet and vitamins may not be as complete as in the USA, you should find this guide to be helpful:

https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/~/media/Brochures/TuftsMC/Patient Care Services/Departments and Services/Weight and Wellness Center/GBP Diet Manual12611.ashx

Finally, if you are a vegetarian, there are lots of people on this forum who do not eat meat and can help you with getting enough protein into your post operation diet. 

We are here to support you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Aksh said:

Hi folks,

So I decided I'd like to join this forum because while I was researching my surgery options and trying to learn about them both medically and in terms of peoples experiences and such, I stumbled on here and lurked around seeing the discussions on different parts of the board - and the truth is I liked the vibe of people and the interactions and support and all.

Where I am, here in India, we still don't really have a culture for support groups, just as a concept its still relatively new to us and while they do exist and the surgeons all have their versions and I sat in on a meeting or two, its more like a meeting with presentations and such than just people talking and sharing. It is in part, but about half the time was someone from the medical team (and pretty much all were present) talking about nutrition post-op and the psychologist talking about the fear of surgery - all relevant buuut not what I was looking for really. Interestingly the real support group part of it seems to be on instant-messaging groups on the phone that the patients all seem to be a part of.

Anyway!

I'm just over 33, I am a pretty big dude weighing in at about 130+ kg and I've been some kind of overweight pretty much since I was a kid. Long story short, I had medical reasons why I put on weight as a kid but I wasn't obese, but as it turns out recently when I did a test that my basic metabolic rate was a little on the low side. Couple that with not being overly sporty, being a serious loner bookworm and I'm a huge foodie - not a glutton really, I just love food and I even enjoy cooking but funnily enough when I cook I forget to eat - and you have a recipe for weight gain over time. In addition I had some very bad periods of emotional stress and became a severe emotional eater, something I do struggle with even today.

So after a few months of research and much argumentation with my family, I'm going in for a RYGB on the 30th of this month and hopefully that'll be a step on the path to a better lifestyle and a better state of health for me because I've yoyo-d my weight for years and everyone else be damned, I want to be in better shape - I'm lucky that I don't have diabetes or a heart condition or any of the many things that can come with my kind of obesity and with a family history of both from my mom and dads sides of the family.

So I'll be hopefully dropping back in here from time to time to talk to you folks as I get closer to the date and even post-op because I really think that talking to people who genuinely understand both the struggle and emotional burdens of obesity and the experience of losing it and the struggle post operation will be very important.

Cheers all.

Dear Aksh, very impressive that you lost 18 kgs and have the insights you provided. Hard to do. All of us have struggled with similar issues (emotional eating, etc etc) you mention. Hope you find this site useful. 

Like you I was having limitations on exercise because my joints couldn't take the weight. I think you are smart to address this issue now, and not when a few more decades of wear and tear have gone by. 

For what it is worth, my surgical team strongly urges exercise. There are a series of studies showing that long term results are statistically better if you do. By this I mean your BMI at 2 years is a bit more than 4 points lower than if you do exercise, e.g. BMI 22 if you do and BMI 26+ if you don't.  I've gone off the deep end and am getting an hour a day of cycling, swimming, or something similar. I still have plateaus, I still have all the same personal obstacles everyone else has, I just figure I have some extra insurance I'll get where I want. There are plenty of people who achieve their goals without exercise but there you have it.

Look forward to hearing more from you,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the community! 

 

What a different culture from the US. I wish you the best of luck in your journey. This is also my 'main' support group, but I was pro-active about my surgery, I wanted it done, it wasn't suggested to me, and after years of struggling with my weight, when I found out my insurance would cover it, I was all about getting it done, and echoing previous statements from people, I think it was the best decision of my adult life. I have no regrets and rarely have needed to feel support. But thankfully, my friends, family, and job have all been very very supportive. 

Good luck, and welcome! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Welcome!  I spent a wonderful year living in Delhi (Green Park) a few years while I was in university, so I understand how different India can be from the USA. I loved the city and the people, although the summer weather was way too hot and sticky for my liking.

...

 

Finally, if you are a vegetarian, there are lots of people on this forum who do not eat meat and can help you with getting enough protein into your post operation diet. 

We are here to support you. 

Thanks Res! And yeah, the hot and sticky weather has already been going for a while with promises of our hottest summer in decades :D

Good to hear about your experiences with an RNY and honestly I'm extra happy to hear about your ability to eat chocolate (even just that little, I've always had the best success with maintaining healthy lifestyle changes when I do let my happy cravings have their way every once in a rare while).

And no, not a vegetarian so Im hoping protien and such will not be as much of a problem - though I admit, the malabsorption permanently post-op is something that does concern me still. :mellow:

Edited by Aksh
needlessly large due to quote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Dear Aksh, very impressive that you lost 18 kgs and have the insights you provided. Hard to do. All of us have struggled with similar issues (emotional eating, etc etc) you mention. Hope you find this site useful.

...

There are plenty of people who achieve their goals without exercise but there you have it.

Look forward to hearing more from you,

Thanks BB!

I already feel extremely welcome here and that helps a lot with my anxiety.

And as far as exercise goes, honestly I can't wait - my constant thought at this point is that I want to get to the end of that 8 weeks of rest and healing (during which I plan to walk/treadmill as much daily as I can manage without straining or pushing too hard) and then re-sign at my old gym and slowly but surely start from basic cardio and simple-low resistance to within the first few months post-op be able to get properly back to the weights I used to be able to lift (sadly I was a decently strong fat dude :D) at least AND most importantly: I want to be able to run.

And once I reach that level, I'll get back to swimming proper which is a sport I love and once summer passes (it's hot as hell here!) I want to get back to playing Badminton which is another sport I love and is under-rated as an intense activity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear @Aksh, hoping all is well with you. Send us an update when you can. May 30th was your date...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/5/2017 at 9:17 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

Dear @Aksh, hoping all is well with you. Send us an update when you can. May 30th was your date...

Hey @BurgundyBoy,

Thanks for checking in on me. I'm doing good.

Surgery happened as scheduled, first 2 days (including full day of surgery since I was operated early morning) were painful and to boot I had a massive backache - turns out the surgery table does that to you and no one ever said to expect it so I was in pain front and back from the moment I came out of anaesthesia.

But by this morning I'm waaay better. I've walked around the floor of the hospital several times, drinking bits of clear liquids since the morning including coconut water, strained dal water, apple juice (fresh) and a green tea. Been even managing to go to the loo quite comfortably, it's a little boring sitting around in the hospital but otherwise I think I'm doing mostly alright.

I check out tomorrow and then after a 2 day stop at a nearby hotel, fly back on sunday homeward. Thereafter let's see how it goes. Will remove the bandages with my G.P back home on Tuesday most likely and then follow the Doctors post-op plan/instructions as much to the letter as I can and keep walking and see how it goes until my 1-month post-op visit to the surgeon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrlcome back, @Aksh! And congratulations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the losers bench Aksh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the losers bench, Aksh! I'm glad to hear you're doing well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tough part is behind you, and now you can lose lots of weight and become thin and healthy. Be sure that you have a diet high in lean protein and water.  Also be sure to take your vitamins and calcium citrate (not calcium carbonate) every day.

Apple juice generally is not allowed in the US after weight loss surgery, as it contains lots of calories and carbs, and very little nutrition.

We are here to support you.  And, welcome to the losers bench. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great news, Aksh. congratulations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone! :)

19 hours ago, Gretta said:

Wrlcome back, @Aksh! And congratulations!

Thanks Gretta, how are you doing? Your surgery was not long after mine.

19 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Be sure that you have a diet high in lean protein and water.  Also be sure to take your vitamins and calcium citrate (not calcium carbonate) every day.

Apple juice generally is not allowed in the US after weight loss surgery, as it contains lots of calories and carbs, and very little nutrition.

I'm doing exactly that, plan to follow the diet plan I've been given as much as humanly possible. Already got my next months stock of chewable vitamins.

As for the apple juice, it's one 50ml serving that they gave me once a day, unsweetened and freshly juiced. I think it's fine because I don't have sugar issues and such and while the idea is to burn calories and lose weight, my body's going through a bit of a shock and the small burst of calories and carbs alongside the protein and such in the other things are not a bad thing. ;D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Aksh said:

Thanks everyone! :)

Thanks Gretta, how are you doing? Your surgery was not long after mine.

I'm doing OK. Still battling gas and a little bit of nausea. I've thrown up a few times. Looking forward to brighter days. Sounds like you're doing great!

Edited by Gretta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best wishes to you and Gretta also!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2017 at 1:20 AM, Aksh said:

Hi folks,

So I decided I'd like to join this forum because while I was researching my surgery options and trying to learn about them both medically and in terms of peoples experiences and such, I stumbled on here and lurked around seeing the discussions on different parts of the board - and the truth is I liked the vibe of people and the interactions and support and all.

Where I am, here in India, we still don't really have a culture for support groups, just as a concept its still relatively new to us and while they do exist and the surgeons all have their versions and I sat in on a meeting or two, its more like a meeting with presentations and such than just people talking and sharing. It is in part, but about half the time was someone from the medical team (and pretty much all were present) talking about nutrition post-op and the psychologist talking about the fear of surgery - all relevant buuut not what I was looking for really. Interestingly the real support group part of it seems to be on instant-messaging groups on the phone that the patients all seem to be a part of.

Anyway!

I'm just over 33, I am a pretty big dude weighing in at about 130+ kg and I've been some kind of overweight pretty much since I was a kid. Long story short, I had medical reasons why I put on weight as a kid but I wasn't obese, but as it turns out recently when I did a test that my basic metabolic rate was a little on the low side. Couple that with not being overly sporty, being a serious loner bookworm and I'm a huge foodie - not a glutton really, I just love food and I even enjoy cooking but funnily enough when I cook I forget to eat - and you have a recipe for weight gain over time. In addition I had some very bad periods of emotional stress and became a severe emotional eater, something I do struggle with even today.

So after a few months of research and much argumentation with my family, I'm going in for a RYGB on the 30th of this month and hopefully that'll be a step on the path to a better lifestyle and a better state of health for me because I've yoyo-d my weight for years and everyone else be damned, I want to be in better shape - I'm lucky that I don't have diabetes or a heart condition or any of the many things that can come with my kind of obesity and with a family history of both from my mom and dads sides of the family.

So I'll be hopefully dropping back in here from time to time to talk to you folks as I get closer to the date and even post-op because I really think that talking to people who genuinely understand both the struggle and emotional burdens of obesity and the experience of losing it and the struggle post operation will be very important.

Cheers all.

Welcome Aksh!

i live in the United States but had my RNY surgery done in Mexico. This was the best decision I have ever made. I have not been able to find an in person support group. This forum has been a lifesaver for me. There have been many times when I have felt like I was going mad and this group has helped me tremendously. Come by whenever you can. No one here is judgemental and you can be free to ask pretty much anything. 

Best of luck to you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now