Trish1967

Hello from the losers bench!

Yes, I intend to take a probiotic...NUT says it enhances weight loss as well, surgery or not. But I'm not to start until one month post-op.

My supplement experience hasn't started yet...

32 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

(Would consider taking a probiotic like the Culturelle lactobacillus product... helps keep the intestines on an even keel)

I've been putting 2 oz of unflavored kefir in my protein drinks.  My NUT loved the idea when I asked.  Intestinally speaking I've been quite happy. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Juliet said:

So glad I made it to the shake stage. I don't care if I ever taste chicken broth again. Hated it! Chomping at the bit to have decaf with protein powder as a morning latte, but nothing in my handouts says whether I can or can't. Seems it's been OK for some of you, but guess I'll have to wait to find out? Staples are ugly and itchy, think they come out Monday. My burning questions for the doc are when can I go in the water, have decaf, add puddings and purees, start riding my bike...and when or when will the weight start to drop!

Kayak, you are right ahead of me, how cool! Doing ok?

I"m doing really well, thanks!  I feel great - just a little pain med here and there (I had a not small hernia repair too).  I just have two days left of full liquids and then I'm moving on to soft foods.  It's funny though, as much as I might be anticipating the next stage, once I got there, I wasn't all that interested.  Sometimes I feel too full to eat again when it's time.  My plan for full liquids indicated thinned soups, etc, but also that we can eat anything from the clear liquid days, so I've found myself going back to those simple light things because I feel pretty full from the protein shakes.  I have all kinds of soups I bought for the full liquid stage and I've only eaten one (for 4 different meals so far, I totally overbought! but still...).

Kayak, so glad to hear you're doing well!

I get it, I totally overbought too. You just don't know and you want to be well prepared. I plan on taking some of the soups to the food pantry soon, because I don't know if I'll ever be able to stand the sight of clear chicken or beef soup again. To my surprise I absolutely hated it. I was just going over my handouts and realized I may have done a no-no. I had two servings of cream soup yesterday, enjoyed every bit of it and had no issues, but realized I may have jumped the gun by a week. Oops. There's so much to process! Seems no harm done, but I'll mention it to the doc. Got back on track today with tomato and red pepper, which is on my approved list at the moment.

So much to learn. Started vitamins today also. Those chewables are a mouthful! So much to do and keep track of. It's hard not to get too self-absorbed!

2 hours ago, kayak19 said:

I"m doing really well, thanks!  I feel great - just a little pain med here and there (I had a not small hernia repair too).  I just have two days left of full liquids and then I'm moving on to soft foods.  It's funny though, as much as I might be anticipating the next stage, once I got there, I wasn't all that interested.  Sometimes I feel too full to eat again when it's time.  My plan for full liquids indicated thinned soups, etc, but also that we can eat anything from the clear liquid days, so I've found myself going back to those simple light things because I feel pretty full from the protein shakes.  I have all kinds of soups I bought for the full liquid stage and I've only eaten one (for 4 different meals so far, I totally overbought! but still...).

Just because you have been cleared to advance by your team doesn't mean your intestines are really ready to make the move. Plus I was surprised by solid things were that I had though of as being soft, like my scrambled eggs... :P 

FYI if anyone on this thread has a sous-vide setup (you cook foods in a vacuum sealed bag or sandwich bag in a water bath) => the softboiled eggs cooked this way are very easy on the stomach. You can go online and see how just a couple of degrees higher cooking water bath changes the egg consistency (Anova, many other sites). My wife and I went to a Japanese restaurant called O Ya in Boston a few years ago and the tasting menu started with an egg they said was in the style of cooking in a hot water spring - I guess if you have hot springs, you can just pop your eggs in and then have them "soft-boiled"!

3 hours ago, Juliet said:

Yes, I intend to take a probiotic...NUT says it enhances weight loss as well, surgery or not. But I'm not to start until one month post-op.

My supplement experience hasn't started yet...

(I took mine for the week before surgery and then 10 days after to decrease the chances I would get C diff diarrhea due to the surgery)

Pray tell, why the delay of a month??

The delay, I have no idea. It's just what it says on my nutritional regime. Seems there's a wide variation among surgeons. Kind of makes you wonder... 

7 hours ago, Juliet said:

Kayak, so glad to hear you're doing well!

I get it, I totally overbought too. You just don't know and you want to be well prepared. I plan on taking some of the soups to the food pantry soon, because I don't know if I'll ever be able to stand the sight of clear chicken or beef soup again. To my surprise I absolutely hated it. I was just going over my handouts and realized I may have done a no-no. I had two servings of cream soup yesterday, enjoyed every bit of it and had no issues, but realized I may have jumped the gun by a week. Oops. There's so much to process! Seems no harm done, but I'll mention it to the doc. Got back on track today with tomato and red pepper, which is on my approved list at the moment.

So much to learn. Started vitamins today also. Those chewables are a mouthful! So much to do and keep track of. It's hard not to get too self-absorbed!

I know...I feel like I have a total mono-focus on what's going on with me right now.  It's nice to be able to process what 's happening on this forum.

It's so interesting to me the wide variety of pre and post op eating plans.  I could eat cream soups by Day 7 post op but had to wait on tomato soup.

There is a lot of bariatric math between keeping track of the timing of everything, ounces of everything, protein and water...when I was still on the prescription pain meds I kept getting the timing mixed up because I'd doze off sometimes and get all off track.  It REALLY helped me when I set up alarms for everything on my phone, but I agree it's a lot to keep track of.  When some of the meds came off the schedule, that made it easier.

22 minutes ago, kayak19 said:

I know...I feel like I have a total mono-focus on what's going on with me right now.  It's nice to be able to process what 's happening on this forum.

It's so interesting to me the wide variety of pre and post op eating plans.  I could eat cream soups by Day 7 post op but had to wait on tomato soup.

There is a lot of bariatric math between keeping track of the timing of everything, ounces of everything, protein and water...when I was still on the prescription pain meds I kept getting the timing mixed up because I'd doze off sometimes and get all off track.  It REALLY helped me when I set up alarms for everything on my phone, but I agree it's a lot to keep track of.  When some of the meds came off the schedule, that made it easier.

I literally have alarms set for everything, plus I set a timer when I start eating...because I'm only allowed to eat for 20 minutes, or until I'm physically feeling full. The alarms actually stress me out, but without them I'd be totally lost. I take thyroid meds, and any suppliments have to be taken no less than 4 hours from my thyroid meds. So that throws a wrench into my day right there. 14 alarms, every day...ugh. Most of the meds I'm still on will be for life, because they are for other health issues not related to my weight. Some days it's tough, but we do what we have to :) 

54 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

I literally have alarms set for everything, plus I set a timer when I start eating...because I'm only allowed to eat for 20 minutes, or until I'm physically feeling full. The alarms actually stress me out, but without them I'd be totally lost. I take thyroid meds, and any suppliments have to be taken no less than 4 hours from my thyroid meds. So that throws a wrench into my day right there. 14 alarms, every day...ugh. Most of the meds I'm still on will be for life, because they are for other health issues not related to my weight. Some days it's tough, but we do what we have to :) 

One day soon, we won't need the alarms and reminders. They will be ingrained in our brains and become part of our daily routines. I don't know when that day will come for me, but I can feel it looming in the distance.