Trish1967

Hello from the losers bench!

94 posts in this topic

The other way of looking at it Trish is that for some, it's cruel to be given a surgery date without having insurance approval first.

Trish1967 and Havamal like this

16 hours ago, Aussie H said:

My surgery was one of those unique enough jobs, and done in a major teaching/research hospital, it's likely to end up a published medical journal article. I'm sure that's why I had the two surgeons I did and also why they persevered laprascopically. My surgeon has a lot of procedural publications to his name, many co-authored by the second surgeon involved in my surgery. I'll likely try to get access to that if it happens and file that away for prosperity.

Another one of those "15 minutes of fame" times. It's just your innards, not your face, that gets recognized!

Trish1967 likes this

2 hours ago, Dtrain84 said:

Ahh yes, the 2 week post-op liquid diet. I actually went through mine so well I wasn't overly excited when I moved to the soft foods stage. I'm excited about the future, I'm off my diabetes medications just 2.5 weeks after surgery and I was taking 4 medications for high blood pressure. I'm now down to 1 as I regularly register great bp numbers. I'm looking forward to the day I can ditch my cpap machine. Great times are indeed ahead! I'm also looking forward to seeing all of us at goal weight! 

Dear Dtrain84, that is SO SPECTACULAR. Congratulations!! That is just awesome!

if you haven't already, check out the websites where you put in your gender, weight, age, and they ask you about diabetes and BP and similar things. I put in my (former) self and then my (goal) self. The mean prediction for me is an extra 13 years of life. 

(Unlike you, I was very excited about the soft foods stage. I confessed, in an earlier thread, to chewing up food and then spitting it out in order to have some mouth feel).

Dtrain84 and Trish1967 like this

12 hours ago, Havamal said:

No date... the surgeon wont set one until the final approval comes through from the insurance company. Which is kind of irritating seeing as they are scheduling 6-8 weeks out! I would think that it would make more sense to lock down a date now and cancel if the approval doesn't come through... its not like they are scheduling for next week!

It could just be different insurance companies that have different hoops they put people through. What is interesting is the different ways people have to qualify for surgery - there are different BMI criteria, different criteria for how many complications relating to obesity, how long you have to have had the complications and how many medications you have to take...

Trish1967 and Havamal like this

5 hours ago, Dtrain84 said:

Ahh yes, the 2 week post-op liquid diet. I actually went through mine so well I wasn't overly excited when I moved to the soft foods stage. I'm excited about the future, I'm off my diabetes medications just 2.5 weeks after surgery and I was taking 4 medications for high blood pressure. I'm now down to 1 as I regularly register great bp numbers. I'm looking forward to the day I can ditch my cpap machine. Great times are indeed ahead! I'm also looking forward to seeing all of us at goal weight! 

Wow...quite impressive getting off that many meds so quickly! You must feel so good about that :) It's so exciting seeing the immediate effects of this surgery in addition to weight loss. Ditching your cpap is just around the corner!! I was on lantus and novolog for my diabetes, and 10 days into the pre op diet I was off novolog. Two weeks prior to surgery I stopped lantus. My sugar ranges from 90-118 right now. I agree...great times are ahead!! It's too bad we can't all have a giant party together when we reach our goals! Lol 

Jen581791, Havamal and Dtrain84 like this

5 hours ago, cinwa said:

The other way of looking at it Trish is that for some, it's cruel to be given a surgery date without having insurance approval first.

I didn't look at it that way, Cinwa...you're absolutely right. I know it would have killed me to have that happen.

2 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

Wow...quite impressive getting off that many meds so quickly! You must feel so good about that :) It's so exciting seeing the immediate effects of this surgery in addition to weight loss. Ditching your cpap is just around the corner!! I was on lantus and novolog for my diabetes, and 10 days into the pre op diet I was off novolog. Two weeks prior to surgery I stopped lantus. My sugar ranges from 90-118 right now. I agree...great times are ahead!! It's too bad we can't all have a giant party together when we reach our goals! Lol 

Having a big party would be epic! It would be really exciting to meet each other in person. 

Havamal and Trish1967 like this

5 minutes ago, Dtrain84 said:

Having a big party would be epic! It would be really exciting to meet each other in person. 

It so would!! And definitely epic! Lol :) 

Dtrain84 and Havamal like this

15 hours ago, Dtrain84 said:

@Dtrain84 and @Trish1967 I'm off all my diabetes meds and my A1C went from 10.9 to 6.1! I was on Trulicity once a week, Novolog N and glipizide. I'm off of all of them! The reason I did RNY was for my diabetes and I can't believe it happened so quickly. A party indeed!!

'

Trish1967, BurgundyBoy and Dtrain84 like this

Dear @NerdyLady, @Dtrain84, and @Trish1967, Congratulations on throwing the meds away!

NerdyLady, you must be so excited. It's almost shocking to see a A1C drop so quickly. What a success story. 

Trish1967 likes this

Just now, BurgundyBoy said:

Dear @NerdyLady, @Dtrain84, and @Trish1967, Congratulations on throwing the meds away!

NerdyLady, you must be so excited. It's almost shocking to see a A1C drop so quickly. What a success story. 

I am beyond thrilled. The weight coming off is a nice bonus but (in my case) the A1C is what really matters. I'm so thankful I made this decision. This surgery literally saved my life. Heck, it has saved all of our lives.

I wish there was a way to donate unused meds. I have a bunch of meds left with shelf life.

Trish1967 likes this

31 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

@Dtrain84 and @Trish1967 I'm off all my diabetes meds and my A1C went from 10.9 to 6.1! I was on Trulicity once a week, Novolog N and glipizide. I'm off of all of them! The reason I did RNY was for my diabetes and I can't believe it happened so quickly. A party indeed!!

'

Diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea were the driving forces of my RNY. I've conquered diabetes in 2.5 weeks after surgery and have my bp under control. My 3rd mountain to climb is the sleep apnea. I'm feeling really good that I'll conquer that within the next 6 months. I love my journey and don't have the slightest regret about my surgery. 

Trish1967 likes this

Yes. Even if you didn't lose another gram of weight after today, you got the needed outcome. (But am cheering you on to your goal). That's the big picture. 

Trish1967 and Dtrain84 like this

Just now, Dtrain84 said:

Diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea were the driving forces of my RNY. I've conquered diabetes in 2.5 weeks after surgery and have my bp under control. My 3rd mountain to climb is the sleep apnea. I'm feeling really good that I'll conquer that within the next 6 months. I love my journey and don't have the slightest regret about my surgery. 

Go @Dtrain84go!

That should come along too. I don't know if mine is completely gone, but I am sleeping so much better. Night and day different. I feel so much more healthy. 

Family says they are worried, the household monster (that snored so loud it kept the burglars away) has apparently moved out. 

Dtrain84 and Trish1967 like this

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

'

Wow, NerdyLady, that is a HUGE drop in your A1C!!! Something to be very proud of, and very excited about!! You definitely got your desired result as far as your diabetes is concerned! Way to go!! My A1C dropped from 9.7 to 7.7  in about 3 weeks early on in the pre op diet, but I was actually having lows at that point so I was taken off everything ( :) ) If they tested my A1C again today, I'm positive it would be hovering between 6-6.5. Dang girl...so happy for you!

Edited by Trish1967

3 hours ago, Dtrain84 said:

Dtrain, don't be surprised if your sleep apnea starts to resolve itself before 6 months. My hubby uses a cpap, and he has lost 27 pounds since I started my pre op diet in March (he's doing this with me, just not surgically). The nights he doesn't wear his mask, which isn't often, he's not snoring anymore. Granted he started out at 250, and doesn't have to lose a ton to reach his goal, he is already seeing benefits from losing 27 pounds. At the rate you're losing, it won't be long before you can kiss that cpap goodbye!!

3 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Family says they are worried, the household monster (that snored so loud it kept the burglars away) has apparently moved out. 

Lol BurgundyBoy...my household monster moved out too!! :) 

4 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

I am beyond thrilled. The weight coming off is a nice bonus but (in my case) the A1C is what really matters. I'm so thankful I made this decision. This surgery literally saved my life. Heck, it has saved all of our lives.

I wish there was a way to donate unused meds. I have a bunch of meds left with shelf life.

I also wish I could donate my meds...I have, I think, 6 unused novolog pens and 4 unused lantus pens that I would LOVE to give to someone that can't afford it! I wonder if there is a way we can...I may research this later. I'll let you know what I find out!

I agree with you completely about the surgery saving our lives. I thank God every day for this second chance!

NerdyLady likes this

4 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Thanks, BurgundyBoy!!!