delilas

Pre-op newbie :)

6 posts in this topic

Hi! I'm Delila. I've lurked around for a little bit and decided to finally join today :)

I'm likely several months pre-op - although I've thought of WLS for a long time, I only made real steps towards it in the last 6 weeks. I've had a few moments of reconsideration (what if I still don't lose weight? what if it hurts too much? what if people are judgemental jerks?), but reading posts here really helped, and I'm ready to do this. 

I'm currently attending the "living well" courses at Ohio State. They are not mandatory before surgery but are highly encouraged. Although they seem a little "diet and exercise 101" they have not been a waste of time and it has been really good to have to weigh in weekly - heck of a motivator! They also helped me with my mindset that WLS is 'giving up' and they neither push for or away from their patients having surgery, but promote it as another tool.

My psychology appointment to clear me for surgery is coming up in just a couple weeks, and then I can schedule to actually see the surgeon and meet the team! 

I've looked around a lot of forums, but this one is one of the few that seems active and supportive, and I've seen a lot of encouraging things....so hello!

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome! It seems like you're really approaching this in a thoughtful, healthy way. I think you'll be a success story for sure!

Trish1967 likes this

Hi delilas, everything you mention is totally valid and normal. Most everyone on the site who decided to have WLS had the same set of concerns, doubts, and prior experiences you mention. Hope you find the site useful as you move forward. The experience and guidance of those who had WLS before me have really helped. I'm just a newbie too, 8 weeks post vertical sleeve gastrectomy. 

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome!!  I have never regretted having my gastric bypass a few years ago, as it allowed me to lose about 125 pounds of excess weight and become healthy, thin and much more active. :)

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome to Thinner Times Delila!

Trish1967 likes this

Thank you all for the warm welcome :)

Trish1967 and Jen581791 like this