Vaultgirl72

SF Homemade Jello

I've noticed that aspartame is in most SF Jello products. I'm highly allergic to aspartame, so I'm looking into making my own homemade SF gelatin. I did a search on the internet and found a couple recipes. I've got gelatin, unsweetened kool aid mixes and splenda. I think I can come up with something using those three ingredients, but was  wondering if anyone else had made some already and what the outcome was.

Hi Vaultgirl72, I made some super-duper protein jello using Splenda, kool-aid and gelatin, and it was fine. My wife actually ate more than half of the first batch. I've used some other flavorings... you could probably use some citrus essences too, but do not have personal experience with them. Post your recipes!

One thing I had not realized is that gelatin is not a complete protein, e.g. does not have the full spectrum of amino acids (the building blocks of proteins). So, it shouldn't be your only source of protein, but rather complement a "complete protein" source like concentrated milk-based shakes or something like that. 

@BurgundyBoy Thanks for the suggestion! I do have unflavored Unjury protein powder that I use in popsicles. Also have a full selection of flavors of protein shakes. I've thought about getting orange flavored kool aid and adding in vanilla flavored protein shake mix to make an orange cream jello or popsicle. 

Well, that should work. I may try a protein drink / protein powder popsicle after your suggestion. If I do, I'll post the results. 

I made the unflavored protein mixed with crystal light lemonade yesterday. One scoop powder for 8 oz of lemonade. Can't taste the powder at all! Even filled me up some, which was great. I'm doing all this just to be ready for June 9th. I am pretty sure I won't be in a position to experiment the first few days after surgery.

5 hours ago, Vaultgirl72 said:

I made the unflavored protein mixed with crystal light lemonade yesterday. One scoop powder for 8 oz of lemonade. Can't taste the powder at all! Even filled me up some, which was great. I'm doing all this just to be ready for June 9th. I am pretty sure I won't be in a position to experiment the first few days after surgery.

Vaultgirl, you are right. Most likely you'll want to make sure you have all the goodies you might need in the house. Protein jello sure works and is super easy to digest. I also had good luck with the Crystal Light lemonade mix. My family sniffs at Crystal Light but I notice that my stock of it disappears faster than my personal consumption. :-)

My nutritionist also made sure we had tried a set of different protein drinks so we could stock up on our favorite(s) before surgery. Given you are being done at the Duke Center they may have some samples you could try. For what it is worth, I focused on the Premier Protein drinks because they have 30 grams of protein in a serving. I think there are 4 flavors (vanilla, chocolate, banana, and perhaps strawberry) - I have a vanilla whipped up with blueberries most mornings, and use a chocolate ~ every other day, after I exercise, as my recovery fluid. I keep a couple at work now in case I am too rushed to bring something else in for lunch. They cautioned us not to buy too many in case our sense of taste changed, but mine has not (so far). 

Yesterday I made a successful batch of SF gelatin! It was great so today's project is to make another batch and include the protein powder as it cools. I'm afraid to add it when I'm boiling the mix. Don't want to mess up the protein! 

VG72, someplace I read that you are supposed to a little cold water to gelatin.. it's called blooming or something like that... have to look it up again. I think it is supposed to help the gelatin mix up more evenly without clumps. Have you ever done that, or needed to do that?

@BurgundyBoy I have a trick I learned from my mother where I keep the spoon in the pan while I'm heating the water to keep it from clumping. I read somewhere that the protein powder might clump if it gets too warm. I was dabbling with hot coffee this morning and chocolate protein powder and had no problems. So I'm optimistic!

This will probably drive my nutritionist crazy, but I wonder about coffee chocolate protein powder frozen bars ...

13 hours ago, Vaultgirl72 said:

Yesterday I made a successful batch of SF gelatin! It was great so today's project is to make another batch and include the protein powder as it cools. I'm afraid to add it when I'm boiling the mix. Don't want to mess up the protein! 

Congrats! I've been wanting to try making my own too. Everything I've read about adding protein powder to warm liquids says to make a paste out of a little liquid and the protein powder then add that to the warm (not hot) liquid. Way to get creative! There's a protein powder salted caramel hot chocolate recipe calling my name on Pinterest.

@Gretta I will try that paste idea next time. It did get clumpy when I added it but still tastes pretty good.Today's batch is pretty tasty!!

Awesome! I want to get good at working with gelatin so I can make my own healthy gummy bears later.