Hulaw2007

Feeling terrible almost 4 weeks out from surgery

I had a two week pre op diet and then by two weeks after surgery I had lost a total of 27 pounds.  In the week following that I only lost one pound.  This week I don't know yet because I won't weigh myself until Saturday.  Decided to stop weighing myself everyday and riving myself crazy.  I feel like I am eating nothing, enjoying nothing, and merely sitting here existing and taking up space.  I did not know I would feel like this after surgery.  My left upper quadrant of my abdomen hurts when I breathe in deeply or even semi-deeply, I feel nauseous all the time, even drinking a small bit of powerade zero makes me feel like its stuck in my chest and won't go down.  I can't seem to coordinate my meals and drinks and vitamins and I think I end the day deficient on everything.  We went out tot he Japanese Steakhouse on Mothers day, and I usually love it, but all I could manage was about thre pieces of chicken and a few grains of rice.  It was not enjoyable at all.  I have an appointment to see my therapist tomorrow, I am obviously having some mental issues with all this.  But I didn't know who else to complain to, I am having a hard time getting through each day.  I feel like all the joy has been sucked out of my life.

Dear Hulaw2007, Great you are seeing your therapist. You sound low.  

Two things:

- Don't let this hard time drain your spirits. It will pass and you will be successful at this. Focus on the fact you are 27 lb s down! There is NO WAY that with reduced intake you won't lose weight and be stronger and feel great about yourself. It just takes time. You're in a plateau. This is just the facts, the laws of physics and biology, you will lose weight if your intake is less than your metabolic needs. (I've had 3 plateaus which have driven me nuts too). 

Others suggest measuring things like your waist or neck or monitoring your clothing size, because a pause in the loss means your body is remodelling itself (more muscle, less fat). There are lots of postings to this effect. Lots of people saying "my weight didn't change but my size changed". it's the evidence of the remodelling. Another approach: Cinwa, who must know herself pretty well, didn't weigh herself and just relied on the measures at her surgeon / PCP (she just posted on this, look it up). She bypassed the inevitable disappointments of daily weight measurement by just clocking herself in every month or so.

- Call your surgical team now (like, as you read this) since you have left upper quadrant pain with breathing. You want them to see you today. Something may be tickling the lining of your abdomen on the inside that shouldn't be doing so, that is what pain with breathing can mean. You had an operation.

I just got off the phone with the surgeon's office but the surgeon isn't in the office until tomorrow. They sent my message till the nursing staff and if they have a question they will call me. I don't know what else to do. Thank you for the reply. I am really feeling low and tearful. I'm trying to stay positive but I'm not being successful at that right now.

I just got a quick call back from the nurse. I'm probably going in to see the physician's assistant this afternoon to check on things. I'm glad they got back to me quickly.

Excellent. Your reply forestalled my longer (now deleted) reply which was, in essence, they need to see you today and if they can't see you, go to the Olney ER. You should not have pain with breathing a month after your operation, nor be nauseous all the time. Complications after surgery are uncommon but do happen. Ask if you could have a leak or an abscess - both of those can cause a pocket of irritation, tucked up in your left upper abdomen, leading to your nausea and pain with breathing. If you do they can be fixed pretty easily, but you don't want it to drag out. Best of luck, let us know how you do! 

Glad you made contact with the surgeon's office, and I hope that will be resolved soon. You should ask about not being able to get things down as well. Fluids and soft foods should be easy enough by four weeks out, I think.

Even with no problems though, eating isn't much fun at four weeks out. I just don't get much pleasure from food right now (3 months out). I'm trying to learn to take pleasure in other things when eating out, like spending time with the people I'm with, having good conversations, and enjoying the location. It's new, that's for sure! 

Let us know how it goes.

Just to be clear, I can get food and drink down for the most part. JUST not much of it. Sometimes if I eat able I can eat an ounce of cheese, other times I take two small bites of chicken and I feel like it's stuck in my chest and it hurts until it finally goes down. I don't feel hungry for anything really. And even if I do get a craving for something, after one bite or two I feel sick and I don't want anymore. I know you are supposed to eat small meals and not eat like you used to, but this feels excessive. I guess I'll wait and see what the doctor says.

Just now, Hulaw2007 said:

Just to be clear, I can get food and drink down for the most part. JUST not much of it. Sometimes if I eat able I can eat an ounce of cheese, other times I take two small bites of chicken and I feel like it's stuck in my chest and it hurts until it finally goes down. I don't feel hungry for anything really. And even if I do get a craving for something, after one bite or two I feel sick and I don't want anymore. I know you are supposed to eat small meals and not eat like you used to, but this feels excessive. I guess I'll wait and see what the doctor says.

Yes, I've had to struggle to get solids down, and have to chew 'em up really tiny if it is dry. My surgeon told me the junction - the gateway - between my esophagus and my stomach was about the size of a pencil eraser after surgery. If I over-eat I get the dreaded chest pressure and feel bad stuff too. I only get truly hungry after I've exercised hard for an hour. Sometimes I think I will like something and then when I try it... a couple of bites are enough. A real change from before surgery. I still get pleasure from sharing my meals with my family, and in cooking something delicious for them (and me, I just eat WAAAAY less of it!). 

None of these have anything to do with left upper quadrant pain with breathing. 

35 minutes ago, Hulaw2007 said:

I just got a quick call back from the nurse. I'm probably going in to see the physician's assistant this afternoon to check on things. I'm glad they got back to me quickly.

Even if it's nothing to worry about, it's better to get yourself checked out.

On 5/17/2017 at 10:38 AM, Hulaw2007 said:

Hope you are doing ok.

I saw the surgeon this morning and he assured me that everything I'm experiencing is still in the range of normal. Even the pain. He said im still healing and so it might hurt a while longer. 

Glad you got seen! Nothing like some reassurance you are doing okay.