NerdyLady

Are any of you unmotivated to eat solid food?

45 posts in this topic

Athenarose, can only echo your sentiment. Raising an ethical, considerate, emotionally intact child is huge. So having protein shakes is SOOO minor in comparison. We can't do everything. Gotta pick what is important and go with it. 

slars, I used to eat (and enjoy) eggs all the time, but when I hard boil them now or fry them.... too tough and I can't eat them. I hope this changes as my intake tolerance changes. So, I am making a kind of egg drop soup -> to boiling broth, add a touch of lemon or balsamic vinegar, then an egg whipped in. Cooks immediately, take off the flame or the thin gossamer strands of egg clump up. Gets me liquid plus the eggy taste which I enjoy. I am cooking down haddock bones and heads to make a fish stock (wicked good) which if used as the stock is savory and filled with protein too. I'm looking for the hooks that draw me in to foods I can eat. Another tactic is to softcook eggs using a warm water bath (sous vide; the Japanese call it something like hot springs eggs, I understand). They remind me of the soft-boiled eggs my mom used to make me when I was a youngster. Protein without carbs, healthy and familiar.

Personally, I think we're all going to be sneaking to our local grocery stores and stake out the Dream Whip to see who buys it. 

Jen581791, NerdyLady and athenarose like this

Jen581791, thanks very much. This is an interesting article and will be adding it to my collection. My anecdotal experience is that even foods that I adored are somehow less appealing, but of course have not undergone the ultimate test... BBQ ribs... (there is a chain on another thread about ribs... arg). 

NerdyLady likes this

My hedonic hunger is definitely gone, at least for the moment. I was able to be at an "appetizers for dinner" thing for Mother's Day with ALL THE BEST SNACKS and I just simply didn't care. I had one little plate of cheese, a bit of 7 layer dip, a few wheat crackers, some fruit, and I was done. No seconds, no wanting seconds. I just didn't care. It was so awesome! I'm hoping I will have all of my new habits well ingrained by the time this no hedonic hunger thing stops, if it does. Fingers crossed!

Posted (edited)

56 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

If any of you are research buffs, here's a link to a study from Drexel University measuring hedonic hunger in obese patients, post-op gastric bypass patients, and non-obese control subjects. TL;DR - post-op patients respond similarly to non-obese control subjects when food is available or present. Obese patients responded with much more hedonic hunger and drive to eat in these situations. When food was tasted, post-op patients responded with less hedonic hunger than the other two groups.

Go for it, nerds:

https://drexel.edu/~/media/Files/psychology/labs/lowelab/Schultes et al 2010.ashx?la=en

Research? *drool* You just called my name! ;)

Edited by NerdyLady

17 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

My hedonic hunger is definitely gone, at least for the moment. I was able to be at an "appetizers for dinner" thing for Mother's Day with ALL THE BEST SNACKS and I just simply didn't care. I had one little plate of cheese, a bit of 7 layer dip, a few wheat crackers, some fruit, and I was done. No seconds, no wanting seconds. I just didn't care. It was so awesome! I'm hoping I will have all of my new habits well ingrained by the time this no hedonic hunger thing stops, if it does. Fingers crossed!

That must have felt amazing!!! Good for you, Jen.

Totally OT, the Oregon coast is beautiful!

Jen581791 likes this

36 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Jen581791, thanks very much. This is an interesting article and will be adding it to my collection. My anecdotal experience is that even foods that I adored are somehow less appealing, but of course have not undergone the ultimate test... BBQ ribs... (there is a chain on another thread about ribs... arg). 

There is an amazing ribs place in my neighborhood and today, I walked by the restaurant. I may not want to eat the food but the smell was intoxicating. Mmm.

43 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Athenarose, can only echo your sentiment. Raising an ethical, considerate, emotionally intact child is huge. So having protein shakes is SOOO minor in comparison. We can't do everything. Gotta pick what is important and go with it. 

slars, I used to eat (and enjoy) eggs all the time, but when I hard boil them now or fry them.... too tough and I can't eat them. I hope this changes as my intake tolerance changes. So, I am making a kind of egg drop soup -> to boiling broth, add a touch of lemon or balsamic vinegar, then an egg whipped in. Cooks immediately, take off the flame or the thin gossamer strands of egg clump up. Gets me liquid plus the eggy taste which I enjoy. I am cooking down haddock bones and heads to make a fish stock (wicked good) which if used as the stock is savory and filled with protein too. I'm looking for the hooks that draw me in to foods I can eat. Another tactic is to softcook eggs using a warm water bath (sous vide; the Japanese call it something like hot springs eggs, I understand). They remind me of the soft-boiled eggs my mom used to make me when I was a youngster. Protein without carbs, healthy and familiar.

Personally, I think we're all going to be sneaking to our local grocery stores and stake out the Dream Whip to see who buys it. 

I love fish stock. When I was recovering at my folks' house, my mom made this for me several times a week..

I propose the name of this thread be changed to The Dream Whip Crew! ;)

Clickin, athenarose and Res Ipsa like this

Thank you to everyone for being so kind to me. I appreciate all of your words. 

Here is a picture of the little stinker. ;) She is what keeps me going. 

IMG_4083.JPG

8 hours ago, Clickin said:

Tough love. You have to transition. DONT BECOME THE DREAM WHIP LADY!!!!

In my surgeons group we have the lady who never transitioned because it was "too hard" and "too uncomfortable". And "no one told her that her stomach would be so tight". She did not have a stricture or anything physiologically wrong, she just didn't want to be uncomfortable. She chose to just eat dream whip because "protein shakes are gross".  Needless to say she did not stay at her goal weight. Go figure!!

This is a phase. Some people have no appetite years down the road (TMcgee), but it isn't sustainable long term to think you will never eat solid food again. 

Put on your big girl panties, make a schedule and eat food. This is just a little tiny baby blip in the big picture of the rest of your life.

Clickin... Clickin... Please... can you tell us more scary Dream Whip Lady stories? Us Newbies are both revolted and fascinated. 

____

In the interest of helping others, this poor soul's tragedy could become an iconic tale. To people who are considering the WLS path, it could become a WLS "Zen koan:" the story that illuminates an obstacle to enlightenment (or sustained weight loss, take your choice). How could the poor lady go through surgery (!!!) with its attendant pain and risk, and not be able to make the simple right choice?? I can't imagine not telling this tale to someone asking me about WLS now. It's like the cheese doodle guy. 

We can read academic studies, but stories cement the lessons and make them real. And Clickin's advice is perfect: "put on your big girl panties, make a schedule and eat food." Direct and blunt like a Zen master.  

I like NerdyLady's idea of renaming the thread. We could accumulate a set of stories, koans, that resonate and make some key point. 

____

Clickin, do not abandon us ... we'll never be able to look at jello with whip on top without wanting to run screaming ... We prefer to believe you are a great Zen Master and not just a person with perfectly good common sense... share your enlightenment.... 

31 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

IMG_4083.JPG

What a cutie!

Your daughter is so adorable!!!!

I'm there with ya and I'm years out!  I forgot to eat on Easter!  Had prepared a huge meal and was getting the adult hunt ready while they ate.. 

I read the start of this thread this morning before going to my two week post-op appointment. When I initially read it I was thinking I would be one of those likely to take the very slow road back to unpulverised food, in part because my diet has been predominantly liquid for the past 6 months. The surgeon pulled me up pretty quickly this morning and told me to begin transitioning to solids now. He said there is no reason not to....and every reason to get eating back to normal textures as soon as our stomachs will allow it. So the meals I was going to prepare this afternoon and puree before packing away, are now going to not see the blender after all.

While his advice was completely contrary to what his dieticians information sheet said (as incidentally was the pre-op diet information sheet from the dietician), he also gave me leave to ditch his dietician and get my own local one....yay, the dietician normally appointed to his patients sucks as far as I'm concerned.

13 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

I'm not and I know that I need to transition. I am meeting my water and protein goals through shakes but food doesn't seem particularly appetizing to me. I have eaten several meals, but I'm not excited about anything. I don't know if it is the lack of desire to cook, because I'm at home with an extremely active toddler or if this is a phase. Can anyone give me some feedback and if needed, some tough love?

I was just thinking about this yesterday...I think I'm going to be afraid to eat solids when it's time. Idk why, because I'm not even post op yet, but the thought is intimidating. If you're busy with a toddler, that could be part of it, in my opinion. 

13 hours ago, Clickin said:

Tough love. You have to transition. DONT BECOME THE DREAM WHIP LADY!!!!

In my surgeons group we have the lady who never transitioned because it was "too hard" and "too uncomfortable". And "no one told her that her stomach would be so tight". She did not have a stricture or anything physiologically wrong, she just didn't want to be uncomfortable. She chose to just eat dream whip because "protein shakes are gross".  Needless to say she did not stay at her goal weight. Go figure!!

This is a phase. Some people have no appetite years down the road (TMcgee), but it isn't sustainable long term to think you will never eat solid food again. 

Put on your big girl panties, make a schedule and eat food. This is just a little tiny baby blip in the big picture of the rest of your life.

Dream whip? Really? Omg...

12 hours ago, Clickin said:

"But I mixed it with milk so it had protein"

she was horrifying and motivating all wrapped up in a crazy package. She was so mad at Dr J because he wouldn't give her a revision to the DS. 

Yikes!!! Was she someone on the forum? I can't even imagine WANTING anything like dream whip post op, let alone subjecting myself to the sugar. Makes me sick just thinking about it. I think I'm gonna be a canned salmon/tuna, lunch meat, cold chicken kind of person post op, at least in the early stages of solids. 

8 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

Yikes!!! Was she someone on the forum? I can't even imagine WANTING anything like dream whip post op, let alone subjecting myself to the sugar. Makes me sick just thinking about it. I think I'm gonna be a canned salmon/tuna, lunch meat, cold chicken kind of person post op, at least in the early stages of solids. 

No. She was in person at my surgeons support group. 

14 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

IMG_4083.JPG

Aawwww! She is such a cutie pie! 

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

On May 17, 2017 at 0:09 PM, Dtrain84 said:
On May 16, 2017 at 9:32 PM, NerdyLady said:

IMG_4083.JPG

Omg she is the sweetest thing!! Kids are an amazing motivator!!

NerdyLady likes this

Completely different subject...how do I "unquote" someone if I clicked "quote" on the wrong post, like I did above?