NerdyLady

Are any of you unmotivated to eat solid food?

45 posts in this topic

I'm not and I know that I need to transition. I am meeting my water and protein goals through shakes but food doesn't seem particularly appetizing to me. I have eaten several meals, but I'm not excited about anything. I don't know if it is the lack of desire to cook, because I'm at home with an extremely active toddler or if this is a phase. Can anyone give me some feedback and if needed, some tough love?

Trish1967 likes this

Tough love. You have to transition. DONT BECOME THE DREAM WHIP LADY!!!!

In my surgeons group we have the lady who never transitioned because it was "too hard" and "too uncomfortable". And "no one told her that her stomach would be so tight". She did not have a stricture or anything physiologically wrong, she just didn't want to be uncomfortable. She chose to just eat dream whip because "protein shakes are gross".  Needless to say she did not stay at her goal weight. Go figure!!

This is a phase. Some people have no appetite years down the road (TMcgee), but it isn't sustainable long term to think you will never eat solid food again. 

Put on your big girl panties, make a schedule and eat food. This is just a little tiny baby blip in the big picture of the rest of your life.

Yep, ditto what she said. This is actually the perfect time to change the way you view food because you're not excited about it.  When was the last time you weren't excited about food?  Maybe after a nasty bout of stomach flu lol.  So, take this time to relearn what food is for...fuel.  Develop the healthy habit of eating what and when you should.  Believe me, the vast majority come to the end of the honeymoon period with head hunger rearing it's ugly head.  The only way to beat it is to have developed healthier eating habits, and healthier coping mechanisms.

Besides, you need fuel to keep up with that active toddler :)

NerdyLady, I still (8 weeks out) am struggling with really solid foods myself, - I like them but become uncomfortable easily - but Clickin is right, you have to transition. I'm going to be haunted by the image of The Dream Whip Lady with a can of whip to mouth... horrible ... 

Stephtay, Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

9 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

NerdyLady, I still (8 weeks out) am struggling with really solid foods myself, - I like them but become uncomfortable easily - but Clickin is right, you have to transition. I'm going to be haunted by the image of The Dream Whip Lady with a can of whip to mouth... horrible ... 

Not a can. She is the good old fashioned Dream Whip from a box connoisseur. 

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/products/dream-whip-2-ct-whipped-topping-437.aspx#

Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

.... this may be even worse. Blech. What a story. 

NERDYLADY, DON'T DO THIS! WE'RE HERE FOR YOU!

:-)

Have to love the ingredients: truly a nightmare for someone with WSL (the protein casein is #7 on the list, if you are searching):

SUGAR, DEXTROSE, PALM KERNEL OIL, DRIED CORN SYRUP, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE (EMULSIFIER), SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), ACETYLATED MONOGLYCERIDES (EMULSIFIER), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF WATER, SODIUM ALUMINOSILICATE (ANTICAKING AGENT), MODIFIED CELLULOSE, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES (EMULSIFIER), CELLULOSE GEL, CELLULOSE GUM, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, NATURAL FLAVOR, ARTIFICIAL COLOR INCLUDING YELLOW 5 AND YELLOW 6.

Jen581791, Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

I understand. Particularly when I was early out, but even now to some extent, it can feel like an unnecessary hassle to prepare food when I only eat such a small amount. Especially when I was already preparing food for my kids. And then, on top of that, when nothing really sounds good, it's really hard to get motivated to eat sometimes. My solution was (and is) keeping easy, healthy foods on hand. String cheese, P3s, tuna canned in water, good quality deli meat, etc. What are you allowed to eat at this point? 

Sidenote: Dreamwhip looks scary. I mean, I could (kind of) understand the appeal of legit, homemade whipped cream or something, but that stuff? And that's all she'd eat?! I'm getting nauseous just thinking about it.

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

6 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Have to love the ingredients: truly a nightmare for someone with WSL (the protein casein is #7 on the list, if you are searching):

SUGAR, DEXTROSE, PALM KERNEL OIL, DRIED CORN SYRUP, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE (EMULSIFIER), SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), ACETYLATED MONOGLYCERIDES (EMULSIFIER), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF WATER, SODIUM ALUMINOSILICATE (ANTICAKING AGENT), MODIFIED CELLULOSE, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES (EMULSIFIER), CELLULOSE GEL, CELLULOSE GUM, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, NATURAL FLAVOR, ARTIFICIAL COLOR INCLUDING YELLOW 5 AND YELLOW 6.

2 minutes ago, athenarose said:

Sidenote: Dreamwhip looks scary. I mean, I could (kind of) understand the appeal of legit, homemade whipped cream or something, but that stuff? And that's all she'd eat?! I'm getting nauseous just thinking about it.

"But I mixed it with milk so it had protein"

she was horrifying and motivating all wrapped up in a crazy package. She was so mad at Dr J because he wouldn't give her a revision to the DS. 

Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

52 minutes ago, msmarymac said:

Yep, ditto what she said. This is actually the perfect time to change the way you view food because you're not excited about it.  When was the last time you weren't excited about food?  Maybe after a nasty bout of stomach flu lol.  So, take this time to relearn what food is for...fuel.  Develop the healthy habit of eating what and when you should.  Believe me, the vast majority come to the end of the honeymoon period with head hunger rearing it's ugly head.  The only way to beat it is to have developed healthier eating habits, and healthier coping mechanisms.

msmarymac, very perceptive. 

There is this division of hunger that some use into the physiologic, and the hedonistic. Last night my son and I were eating, and I asked him why he didn't finish his food. He just looked at me, and said his hunger was gone, and he didn't want to feed the hunger in his brain. Landed on me like a bolt from the skies. I am, as msmarymac suggested, at risk of head hunger rearing its ugly head. 

NerdyLady, you have lost the hedonist hunger!

1 hour ago, Clickin said:

she was horrifying and motivating all wrapped up in a crazy package. She was so mad at Dr J because he wouldn't give her a revision to the DS. 

Clickin, maybe we need a place to post behaviors we have seen which, uh, are counterproductive. It's like the guy who had WLS and then ate bags of cheese doodles all day long afterwards, and posted a video on You Tube complaining the surgery was a failure. 

(I confess I ate some cheese doodles one day when solid food did not appeal to me. I was in the market and the impulse was uncontrollable. I had to throw the bag away after I ate a couple). 

Clickin and NerdyLady like this

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

msmarymac, very perceptive. 

There is this division of hunger that some use into the physiologic, and the hedonistic. Last night my son and I were eating, and I asked him why he didn't finish his food. He just looked at me, and said his hunger was gone, and he didn't want to feed the hunger in his brain. Landed on me like a bolt from the skies. I am, as msmarymac suggested, at risk of head hunger rearing its ugly head. 

NerdyLady, you have lost the hedonist hunger!

@BurgundyBoy Wow. Just wow. I don't have the words that can describe how your words have impacted me. It took me a while to understand what you were saying. It kind of bugged me that I didn't get what you were saying, so it kept rolling around in my head. Then BOOM, I finally got what you meant. It was like a light bulb went off in my brain. I *have* lost the hedonistic hunger. I now eat to fuel myself, not because I'm bored or sad. Thank you for your words. 

Trish13 and Clickin like this

2 hours ago, Clickin said:

In my surgeons group we have the lady who never transitioned because it was "too hard" and "too uncomfortable". And "no one told her that her stomach would be so tight". She did not have a stricture or anything physiologically wrong, she just didn't want to be uncomfortable. She chose to just eat dream whip because "protein shakes are gross".  Needless to say she did not stay at her goal weight. Go figure!!

This is a phase. Some people have no appetite years down the road (TMcgee), but it isn't sustainable long term to think you will never eat solid food again. 

Put on your big girl panties, make a schedule and eat food. This is just a little tiny baby blip in the big picture of the rest of your life.

I had no idea what dream whip was, until I clicked your link. YUCK, YUCK, YUCK!!!! I do not want to be this person. I want to be healthy, happy and free of addiction. 

I can't put on my big girl panties, because they don't fit anymore. :P

Thank you!

Aussie H and Clickin like this

2 hours ago, msmarymac said:

@msmarymac Wow. Like I said to @BurgundyBoy, your words hit home. Head hunger has always been my problem. Hell, sometimes I feel that head hunger now. 

I'm trying to make exercise part of my coping mechanism. I want to be healthy for myself and for my daughter. I do need to learn healthier habits.

That toddler just woke up from her nap, so no time for head hunger! Thank you for caring.

1 hour ago, Clickin said:

That is so fricking sad. Is it bad that I kind of want to be a fly on the wall of that group?

athenarose likes this

3 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

@BurgundyBoy Wow. Just wow. I don't have the words that can describe how your words have impacted me. It took me a while to understand what you were saying. It kind of bugged me that I didn't get what you were saying, so it kept rolling around in my head. Then BOOM, I finally got what you meant. It was like a light bulb went off in my brain. I *have* lost the hedonistic hunger. I now eat to fuel myself, not because I'm bored or sad. Thank you for your words. 

Well, I may actually envy you.

It was msmarymac who first threw this particular thunderbolt, credit her, I just repacked her insight and added the wisdom of my kid.

Now you just have to eat something solid. :-)

NerdyLady likes this

2 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

I won't be this person. We live in the same area and I'd be afraid that you would see me at Stop & Shop and throw all the Dream Whip boxes into the next aisle. LOL :P

2 hours ago, athenarose said:

I understand. Particularly when I was early out, but even now to some extent, it can feel like an unnecessary hassle to prepare food when I only eat such a small amount. Especially when I was already preparing food for my kids. And then, on top of that, when nothing really sounds good, it's really hard to get motivated to eat sometimes. My solution was (and is) keeping easy, healthy foods on hand. String cheese, P3s, tuna canned in water, good quality deli meat, etc. What are you allowed to eat at this point? 

I'm slowly transitioning to solid foods. Soft fish, string cheese and the like. One of my unhealthiest habits was eating the food my daughter left behind because I didn't want to go to waste. Now I'm having a meal/shake before I feed her and letting her leftovers go. 

athenarose likes this

3 hours ago, Clickin said:

Wouldn't she have a serious dumping problem with Dream Whip? I have so many questions and this story will haunt me 'til the end of my days. 

athenarose likes this

40 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

It was msmarymac who first threw this particular thunderbolt, credit her, I just repacked her insight and added the wisdom of my kid.

No worries everyone! I had a grilled fish burger w/o the bun and am quite happy!

Clickin and athenarose like this

I am having issues with this, still. I do eat solid foods, but I find some things so unappetizing now that I can't eat them. Tuna, for one. It also stinks up the workplace. I am reintroducing things that have made me sick, and some of it is working. My body does not want to keep chicken down, and eggs are touch and go. Fortunately, I have found I can eat fish without much ado. It's weird; one day something is fine, and the next I cannot get it down. Others have mentioned this and they said to reintroduce those things several weeks later and see how it goes. If I'm drinking as much as I should, I have no desire to eat. I even forget about it. Bizarre. This thread is a good reminder. Don't wanna be known as the Dreamwhip Lady. I remember that crap as a kid. It was worse than Kraft Spaghetti.

Clickin and NerdyLady like this

47 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Look for a PM from me in the next few minutes. I want to ask you a question about Mt Auburn. :)

Posted (edited)

30 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

I'm slowly transitioning to solid foods. Soft fish, string cheese and the like. One of my unhealthiest habits was eating the food my daughter left behind because I didn't want to go to waste. Now I'm having a meal/shake before I feed her and letting her leftovers go. 

In that case, I think the way you're utilizing the shakes in a really positive way. I think, as mamas, it's so easy to fall in the habit of eating our kids' leftovers or grazing because we're too busy caring for them to prepare, much less eat, a meal for ourselves. I honestly don't think that having a diet primarily made of shakes (or whatever healthy option works for you) is bad as long as you are progressing through the stages of your diet plan. There's a *BIG* difference between having a protein shake in lieu of a meal (or two) each day and only eating dream whip (gag, still shuddering at the thought). And particularly when you're caring for a tiny human all day.  If you can shower and manage to hit your protein goal each day (in whatever form that may be), I salute you.

Edited by athenarose
NerdyLady likes this

13 minutes ago, athenarose said:

In that case, I think the way you're utilizing the shakes in a really positive way. I think, as mamas, it's so easy to fall in the habit of eating our kids' leftovers or grazing because we're too busy caring for them to prepare, much less eat, a meal for ourselves. I honestly don't think that having a diet primarily made of shakes (or whatever healthy option works for you) is bad as long as you are progressing through the stages of your diet plan. There's a *BIG* difference between having a protein shake in lieu of a meal (or two) each day and only eating dream whip (gag, still shuddering at the thought). And particularly when you're caring for a tiny human all day.  If you can shower and manage to hit your protein goal each day (in whatever form that may be), I salute you.

That's a really sweet message. Thank you. I know WLS is hard for everyone, because life happens. That said, doing this with a toddler who is high energy from morning to night is tough. I did not manage to shower today ;) but I did spend several hours running around at two parks. :)

What keeps me going is the knowledge that my daughter will never have memories of me being sick or unable to play with her. 

Jen581791 and athenarose like this

1 hour ago, NerdyLady said:

That's a really sweet message. Thank you. I know WLS is hard for everyone, because life happens. That said, doing this with a toddler who is high energy from morning to night is tough. I did not manage to shower today ;) but I did spend several hours running around at two parks. :)

What keeps me going is the knowledge that my daughter will never have memories of me being sick or unable to play with her. 

You're welcome. I totally get it. I think sometimes, it's easy for people to forget how all consuming having little ones is, particularly when you're with them all day. It can be really hard to carve out time to take care of yourself or do even the simplest things (like showering), so recovering from WLS and finding a new normal can be quite a challenge. My youngest is five and I feel like it's finally getting easier. I really do applaud you for making the decision to have surgery and take care of yourself because, by extension, you've given your daughter a huge gift as well.

NerdyLady and Jen581791 like this

If any of you are research buffs, here's a link to a study from Drexel University measuring hedonic hunger in obese patients, post-op gastric bypass patients, and non-obese control subjects. TL;DR - post-op patients respond similarly to non-obese control subjects when food is available or present. Obese patients responded with much more hedonic hunger and drive to eat in these situations. When food was tasted, post-op patients responded with less hedonic hunger than the other two groups.

Go for it, nerds:

https://drexel.edu/~/media/Files/psychology/labs/lowelab/Schultes et al 2010.ashx?la=en

Stephtay and Michael_A like this