readytoloose

Just trying to get a sense of how much I will loose

8 posts in this topic

Hi

I am having my surgery in a week. I got it just in time for summer. I wanted to know how much people are loosing for 1 month 2 month and 3 moths post op. My goal is to be in the 230's by august which will be about 3 months post op. JUST WANT TO HERE ABOUT OTHER PEOPLES EXPERIENCE AND WEIGHTLOSS!!!!!
thank you

Welcome to Thinner Times!

I didn't have scales in the house from the day of my surgery until I got into the normal BMI range for my height so I'm unable to give you a monthly loss.  I relied on PCP and WLS follow up visits.

I can tell you that at my 3 month follow-up, I lost 31.5 lb.  But no one was expecting a fast loss because I lost just under 35 lb between my first visit with my surgeon and the day of surgery.

Posted (edited)

Welcome :) My stats are in my signature line. I think if I was doing things cinwa's way, I would be dying of curiosity, but probably be more mentally stable at this point!! My first month's losses were low compared to many others', but I've been keeping up a steady pace, so I'm sure I'll get there eventually. 

I'd be very careful about setting weight loss goals for yourself just because your body will respond in its own way and you will have no say in how fast (or slow) you lose. Try setting behavior goals for yourself, so you know that you're doing the right thing. You can control your behavior, but not your body's weight loss rate. 

Edited by Jen581791

Dear readytoloose, Hi and congratulations! I really agree with Jen581791. We can control what we do, but not how our body "decides" to lose weight. 

I would read other posts since I am just shy of 2 months, but anyhow here is my information. Like cinwa I lost some weight before surgery but the amount was more modest (11.5 lbs). The day before surgery I weighted 282.5 lbs. 

I lost 28 lbs at 1 month, and should be down about 42 lbs at 2 months (just a few days short of 60 days at this point, am at -40.5 lbs today). If I lose another 10-12 pounds at 3 months I should be in the 50-54 lbs weight loss region. However, that's an educated guess. I'm about to start an intense work period which will affect my ability to exercise, which is helping me to burn off fat. I'm not going to hold myself to an unrealistic target if I can't get my exercise in. Plus, most people lose weight at a faster rate early on. 

You should speak to your nutritionist to see if the 230s are realistic. My own nutritionist is careful not to set unrealistic expectations, and I suspect she won't even talk numbers with me until 6 months out. A lot of what is done on this website is to provide support to people - without expectations of meeting some one else's idea about how slow or fast they lose weight. Everybody is different! 

Having said that - to help frame my own thinking here's what I am using as general outline of what I think I can expect. 

My surgeon tells me I can expect to lose 60-70% of my excess weight overall. About half of this occurs in the first 3 months on average, when I look at scientific studies that have been published. Some people lose more, others less.

So, since I was about 110 pounds over my "ideal" weight, this would mean I can reasonably expect to lose 66-77 pounds overall (If you multiply my 110 pounds overage by 60-70% you get those numbers). Of course I am hoping to lose more than 60-70% but I will be happy with that and am not stressing about it. My trajectory suggests I might lose 100-108 pounds IF I have lost 50-54 lbs. at 3 months - but it is way too early to tell. I'm not even sure what my "ideal" weight is, to be honest. 

Predictors of success are addressing psychological issues, keeping to the dietary guidelines, exercise, and social support. I'm trying to make sure I do each of these. You don't need to do all 4 things "perfectly" to have success. Lots of people on this site have not been bitten by the exercise bug and have done really well, for example. One of the common psychological issues people face is disappointment at losing more slowly than they would like. We all have been through so much, and so want rapid success! but we have to be kind to ourselves and not be unrealistic. 

Best of luck with your journey!

ThinCVT and readytoloose like this

As this topic trends you're going to see the words that you "can't compare yourself to others" over and over again.  This is YOUR journey and YOUR body will do "something" completely unique.  But to answer your question... keeping in mind that to get to a normal BMI (which I have not done) I had twice the weight to lose than you do. 

MONTHLY LOSS TOTALS  
Aug-14 34.0
Sep-14 13.8
Oct-14 12.8
Nov-14 9.0
Dec-14 13.0
Jan-15 11.2
Feb-15 10.0
Mar-15 9.4
Apr-15 8.8
May-15 6.2
Jun-15 5.6
Jul-15 6.6
Aug-15 3.0
Sep-15 7.8
Oct-15 6.6
Nov-15 2.2
Dec-15 0.0
Jan-16 4.4
Feb-16 2.6
Mar-16 4.8
Apr-16 1.6
May-16 4.2

Dear ikantspel, that is a pretty impressive long period of persistent weight loss you have there. You managed to keep that up for 21 months... wow. 

readytoloose likes this

I don't own a scale, so I've just got a couple weights from those first few months.  I lost 22 pounds on my 16 day preop diet so that was a huge jump start, but probably contributed to my initial "slow" postop rate of loss. 

Day 11 - 0 pounds lost

6 weeks - 17 pounds lost

14 weeks - 25 pounds lost.

So altogether, I had lost 47 pounds approximately 16 weeks after starting my preop liquid diet.

IMHO, setting aggressive goals (like 60 pounds in 3 months) may be inviting disappointment and frustration.  You should concentrate more on eating healthy, meeting protein and fluid goals, and most impirtant of all....learning new coping mechanisms, establishing new habits and creating a sustainable weight loss/maintenance lifestyle.  The pounds will take care of themselves and rate of loss has zero impact on your long term success.

readytoloose, Jen581791 and CoTN like this

22 hours ago, ThinCVT said:

I don't own a scale, so I've just got a couple weights from those first few months.  I lost 22 pounds on my 16 day preop diet so that was a huge jump start, but probably contributed to my initial "slow" postop rate of loss. 

Day 11 - 0 pounds lost

6 weeks - 17 pounds lost

14 weeks - 25 pounds lost.

So altogether, I had lost 47 pounds approximately 16 weeks after starting my preop liquid diet.

IMHO, setting aggressive goals (like 60 pounds in 3 months) may be inviting disappointment and frustration.  You should concentrate more on eating healthy, meeting protein and fluid goals, and most impirtant of all....learning new coping mechanisms, establishing new habits and creating a sustainable weight loss/maintenance lifestyle.  The pounds will take care of themselves and rate of loss has zero impact on your long term success.

ThinCVT, I am only now, 8 weeks after surgery, really coming to understand how important the coping mechanism and habits are. When my surgical team said early on that WLS was only a tool, I didn't understand how true that was. My understanding was superficial. 

Readytoloose, WLS resets a bunch of things for you so that you can establish new habits - reasonable intake, perhaps more exercise, the practice of thinking about what you will eat in the day, talking to positive people who will support you and not undercut you ... along with the physical inability to eat too much, e.g. a rack of ribs (my former favorite) at one go. The latter is the tool. All the other stuff is the new habits you develop as a result of the surgery. Honestly, eating less right after surgery is easy... because you have to. It's the practices and habits you develop that will keep you on track later on. 

Elsewhere on the site are stories about people who lost initial weight but did not adapt with new habits. Many regained their weight. It happens to 2 to 5% of people. 

Personally I am hoping you lose a gazillon pounds within your summer window, but more important is the new approach to eating in the long run. 

Godspeed on your journey. 

Res Ipsa likes this