Stephshar

Questions?!

36 posts in this topic

I came home yesterday and like most everyone I'm a little miserable as of now with only clear liquids and hunger. I guess I'm one of the ones that still feels hunger but this too shall pass Right? Can't wait til week 3 where I can have soft stuff 

NerdyLady likes this

Hi Stephshar - the first couple of weeks on liquids are pretty miserable, but it will pass, you're right. 

As for the hunger, I of course don't know how much or what you've read already, but some of what you're feeling could actually not be hunger, but other signals from your intestines and newly shaped stomach that feel (and sound!!!!!!) like hunger. I read some stuff on "head hunger," which sounds really insulting like we're crazy or imagining it, but which actually makes sense. A lot of the signals I used to think of as hunger were something else (rumbling intestines, stomach acid). I can tell now when I'm hungry by other signals - feeling a little weak or low energy or just *empty*, mostly. That of course doesn't make the signals go away, but it might help with your feelings about them. Best of luck! It all gets a lot easier when you can start eating a bit again.

athenarose, NerdyLady and Stephshar like this

On 6/1/2017 at 3:29 PM, Jen581791 said:

Hi Stephshar - the first couple of weeks on liquids are pretty miserable, but it will pass, you're right. 

As for the hunger, I of course don't know how much or what you've read already, but some of what you're feeling could actually not be hunger, but other signals from your intestines and newly shaped stomach that feel (and sound!!!!!!) like hunger. I read some stuff on "head hunger," which sounds really insulting like we're crazy or imagining it, but which actually makes sense. A lot of the signals I used to think of as hunger were something else (rumbling intestines, stomach acid). I can tell now when I'm hungry by other signals - feeling a little weak or low energy or just *empty*, mostly. That of course doesn't make the signals go away, but it might help with your feelings about them. Best of luck! It all gets a lot easier when you can start eating a bit again.

^^^^This!!

I cannot tell you the number of times I have mistaken acid indigestion for hunger. It sounds silly when you say this but the signals are often the same. Like Jen, I'm starting to understand my body a little better and look for new signs that indicate my hunger. 

Good luck! :)

Jen581791 and Stephshar like this

1 minute ago, NerdyLady said:

I'm starting to understand my body a little better and look for new signs that indicate my hunger. 

I was amazed to see in my post-op leak test x-ray how far up in my torso my stomach actually is - under my breastbone :o  So, anything that rumbles below that is intestines or something else. My stomach is just healing up well enough now that it's starting to have nerve functions enough to "feel" full when I'm eating. Crazy stuff. I think I probably used to eat anytime I heard anything going on down there...

Stephshar and NerdyLady like this

On 6/1/2017 at 0:29 PM, Jen581791 said:

I think your right. Once I can actually have food I'll be less irritable and enjoy this process a bit more. Everything u describe sounds legit,  but yes it does feel like hunger lol.. that same ol monkey on my back ugh. Can't wait for the 3rd week! 

Just now, Stephshar said:

that same ol monkey on my back

Dang monkey. It takes some time to tame it. Seriously I was going nuts when I was two weeks out, liquids liquids liquids. It might make you feel better to read my insane ramblings of the first few weeks out on the blog I keep over on the blog part of TTF. Seems like every other post is me freaking out about something, then the next post is me calming down about it. Blog = therapy, I guess.

Stephshar likes this

On 6/1/2017 at 10:34 AM, Stephshar said:

Gretta how are you doing?? My surgery went well and I am trying my best to get thru the clear liquid week lol. Hope yours went well too and u are doing great!

My surgery went well, but the gas pain is bumming me out. Can't wait for that to be over. Congrats to you!

Stephshar likes this

Gretta do u have gas x strips? They truly helped me tremendously ! Jen omg girl I have soooomuch ranting and complaining I want to do lmao!! I just want to get past liquids!!! How can I find these lovely ramblings of its so that I may go and agree with them lol!! 

4 minutes ago, Stephshar said:

Gretta do u have gas x strips? They truly helped me tremendously ! 

I don't have strips, but I have chewables. My doc said the gas in my chest & shoulders is from being inflated during surgery and can't be treated with gas x or anything. I just have to wait it out. Arg!

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:13 PM, Stephshar said:

I came home yesterday and like most everyone I'm a little miserable as of now with only clear liquids and hunger. I guess I'm one of the ones that still feels hunger but this too shall pass Right? Can't wait til week 3 where I can have soft stuff 

For what it's worth I found that filling myself with fluid helped a bit with my hunger. Like others I think I misunderstood some of my body's signals and thought it was hunger. I have a lot of that head hunger stuff.

And don't forget that for most, warm drinks are often more soothing than cold ones.

Stephshar likes this