Stephshar

Questions?!

36 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I've checked in and I just have some questions for ya since my surgery is coming near. I'm getting so nervous now but still excited as well. Anywho, how well did you heal with the sleeve? What was the first week post op  like  for u?? Any information u can tell me before I go under the knife would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! 

Jabsie and Trish1967 like this

I would say the first 48 hours was a little rough as I had dry heaves and nausea every time I so much as moved my head off the pillow.  This was despite having pre-medicated with an anti-nausea med plus having IV meds and oral meds for nausea post-op.  I tend to get nauseated easily so I wasn't too surprised. Pain was manageable.  Walking around helped so much, I would highly encourage it.  Fluids are a priority in those early days so don't worry about "eating", just work on the fluid goals. I remember keeping fluids nearby at all times so I could sip frequently. 

Having just had some plastic surgery in March I can honestly say that the sleeve surgery was a far easier recovery than plastics.

You got this!

Jen581791, Stephshar and Trish1967 like this

This was not a hard recovery.  No real pain but some discomfort.  Rest and follow your surgeon's instruction to the letter.  I had surgery on a Thursday and returned to work the following Tuesday.... no one knowing anything about my surgery.  I was tired at the end of the day but it was completely manageable.  Good luck.  

Trish1967 and Stephshar like this

Dear Stephshar, Good Luck.

I did fine after my sleeve. I was fine in the recovery room and did not have the nausea that plagued msmarymac - groggy but no pain or discomfort. Later that day, I had some initial pain that was easily dealt with by meds, like ikantspel said, really just had discomfort. I had my barium swallow test the next morning and it was painless (the radiologist showed me the pictures when it was done. I couldn't believe how tiny my stomach was). By 2-3 days after surgery I only took the narcotic I was given when I went to bed, as I sometimes awoke up with some incision site pain otherwise - and I was off that by about 6-7 days after surgery. I was able to walk a mile the day after surgery, and 3 miles 5 days afterwards. Moved my bowels after 4 days. The incision sites were only tender if I poked them, or if I coughed and had forgotten to take the nonsteroidal pain med I took (Alleve, or naprosyn). My breath did not turn foul, as some complain. I needed the Alleve for perhaps 10 days.  I also restarted my swimming 3 days after surgery.

I drank a glorious, sublimely wonder, cup of splendid coffee, maybe two... every morning to help me move my bowels, as I have for decades (fie on those persons who say no coffee, servants of Evil and Constipation that they are). Otherwise I followed the letter of the law and all went well. I have not yet been executed by my surgeon or nutritionist for my bad ways. 

Fortunately I had a very easy recovery.  I told the anesthesiologist I always wake up from anesthesia very nauseous, so he said he'd take care of it.  Whatever he did worked like charm!  No nausea and also no pain..... never needed any narcotics.  I went shopping the day after surgery and sightseeing with more shopping the day after that.  Walked at least 2 miles both days.  Travelled via plane day 3, drove myself five hours in a snowstorm day 4, plowed the driveway and fed the dogs and horses when I got home.  Finally Rested day 5 (it was Christmas Day), got a haircut and did a little work from home day 6 and was back to work full time day 7.

My only postop issues were fatigued abdominal muscles (like I'd done a thousand sit-ups), a bloated belly so II couldn't wear jeans or sleep on my tummy for two weeks and making sure I sipped protein shakes and other fluids every waking moment so I could meet goals.

Good luck to you!

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, ThinCVT said:

My only postop issues were fatigued abdominal muscles (like I'd done a thousand sit-ups), a bloated belly so II couldn't wear jeans or sleep on my tummy for two weeks and making sure I sipped protein shakes and other fluids every waking moment so I could meet goals.

Same here and I had a bypass. I was nauseous when I eventually woke up after anesthesia and they shoved my first cup of soup in front of me. I was quickly given something to control that, but it did resurface momentarily the next day, once again when food came out. That was just a more intense feeling than I always get a meal times when I visit hospitals though.

I did have a PCA and used it for 24 hours, after that I got occasional narcotic tablets and paracetamol because I was on those pre-surgery for an orthopaedic issue. Day 4 I drove myself to the local shops without issue. Day 5 I drove myself 4 hours to get home. I was able to sleep on my side night 4, and always in bed. I didn't require help to do any tasks after surgery. Two weeks out and the surgeon has told me to start eating solids again which is a tad uncomfortable but necessary in my case. I'm still uncomfortably bloated by days end, and wearing anything with a waist becomes uncomfortable, but that's getting better each passing day.

Sorry I messed up the quoting and don't seem to be able to fix it on this device. The message is still the same though.

Edited by Aussie H
Michael_A and Stephshar like this

I've had several surgeries in my life and typically wake up from anesthesia with terrible nausea. I explained that to the Anesthesiologist and she did a wonderful job of managing it. I woke up in the recovery room with no nausea or pain minus a little tender throat from the intubation tube. I had a pain pump that I used for the first half day but nothing after that. In general I felt more soreness than pain and primarily felt it when I sat up/down or engaged my abdominal muscles. It was kind of like I had done the most intense ab workout ever. I went home and never used anything stronger than Tylenol for pain. As advised by my surgeon, I took the full 2 weeks away from work but probably could have gone back after 1. It took about a week to get my energy back. My incisions healed very well. They are barely visible now. The best advice I got and would share in return is as follows:

• Follow your doctor's orders to the T.
  • Sip sip sip. Walk walk walk.
  • Everybody has a different experience. Listen to your body.
  • There is no need to suffer with anything so don't be afraid to reach out to your doctor with questions or concerns.

Best of luck with your procedure! Please let us know how you make out.

Stephshar and Trish1967 like this

Thank u so much for responding everyone!! The day after tomorrow is the day and I will keep all of ur comments in mind! I really pray for no nausea as id rather be sore than nauseous but either way I will take ur advice and walk walk walk and sip sip sip and getthru this!!

Trish1967 likes this

I have my surgery 2 days after you! I have concerns about nausea, so they prescribed me a patch to wear behind my ear to help. I'll be thinking of you! We're going to do great! Hugs!!!

49 minutes ago, Gretta said:

I have my surgery 2 days after you! I have concerns about nausea, so they prescribed me a patch to wear behind my ear to help. I'll be thinking of you! We're going to do great! Hugs!!!

Yayay!!! Almost there, Gretta!!!!! Woohoo!! :D

Gretta likes this

4 hours ago, Stephshar said:

Thank u so much for responding everyone!! The day after tomorrow is the day and I will keep all of ur comments in mind! I really pray for no nausea as id rather be sore than nauseous but either way I will take ur advice and walk walk walk and sip sip sip and getthru this!!

Good luck...you'll do great!! I had absolutely no pain (I had bypass), but my nausea was pretty bad. They gave me meds for it in the hospital. Once it was gone, I felt great, other than being tired of course. I took no pain meds in the hospital or at home. I'll be praying for and thinking of you!

Stephshar likes this

22 hours ago, Stephshar said:

Dear Stephshar, best of luck and hope you are neither nauseous nor sore. 

Stephshar likes this

19 hours ago, Gretta said:

Hi Gretta, good luck with the upcoming surgery. The patch should help, it's the same stuff they use for sea-sickness and other motion induced nausea. 

22 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Hi Gretta, good luck with the upcoming surgery. The patch should help, it's the same stuff they use for sea-sickness and other motion induced nausea. 

Thanks, @BurgundyBoy! Three days to go!

Just now, Gretta said:

Thanks, @BurgundyBoy! Three days to go!

We'll start the cosmic prayer wheels for everyone about to go forward. Ommmm. 

Stephshar likes this

Much appreciated!

Jen581791 likes this

21 hours ago, Gretta said:

Gretta thank u and congrats to u!! We will do great, we got this sweetie ! I hope u a speedy recovery ☺

Gretta likes this

Good luck with the surgery both Stephshar and Gretta.  I cannot wait to welcome each of you very soon to the losers bench.  :)

Stephshar and Gretta like this

3 hours ago, Stephshar said:

Gretta thank u and congrats to u!! We will do great, we got this sweetie ! I hope u a speedy recovery ☺

Thanks!!! Can't wait until we heal & start losing like crazy!

Gretta how are you doing?? My surgery went well and I am trying my best to get thru the clear liquid week lol. Hope yours went well too and u are doing great!

Gretta and Stephtay like this

Thank u very much res ipsa!!! I have made it to the other side and can't wait to heal so I can get to the gym!

Res Ipsa likes this

1 minute ago, Stephshar said:

Thank u very much res ipsa!!! I have made it to the other side and can't wait to heal so I can get to the gym!

Welcome to the losers bench!!:)

Stephshar likes this

Just now, Stephshar said:

Gretta how are you doing?? My surgery went well and I am trying my best to get thru the clear liquid week lol. Hope yours went well too and u are doing great!

I did pretty well. Geting the IV going was difficult - multiple pokes. And I threw up 4 times after sugery. Those have been the only bummers, though. So glad to have the surgery behind me! I get to leave the hospital this afternoon. 

I'm so glad your surgery went well! We did it!

delilas, Stephtay and Stephshar like this

1 minute ago, Gretta said:

I did pretty well. Geting the IV going was difficult - multiple pokes. And I threw up 4 times after sugery. Those have been the only bummers, though. So glad to have the surgery behind me! I get to leave the hospital this afternoon. 

I'm so glad your surgery went well! We did it!

Gretta - welcome to the losers bench!! :)

48 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

Gretta - welcome to the losers bench!! :)

Thanks!!!