OlgaC

Hello!

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello, my name is Olga.

My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow (May 16th); I live in Monterrey, Mexico, I'm a 23 year old college graduate, going trough my masters and working on finances.

I'm currently on the clear liquid pre-op diet, I'm not that nervous (although maybe later today the nerves will kick in), I'm just excited...

Edited by OlgaC
Typo
Boho Rosy likes this

Welcome to Thinner Times Olga!

OlgaC likes this

Welcome! Best of luck tomorrow!

OlgaC likes this

Dear Olga, hope the site provides support you find useful. That's been my experience. Good luck!

OlgaC likes this

Thank you everyone!

It's starting to get real!! I can't wait!

Although, knowing that today I won't be able to "eat" anything starting at 10pm is giving me intense cravings (even for stuff I don't really like)

Welcome to the forum. Hope your surgery goes well!

OlgaC likes this

Welcome!  I hope that your surgery tomorrow goes smoothly. We are here to support and inform you. 

OlgaC likes this

Welcome, Olga. I hope your surgery goes well :) Please update us on your condition when you can.

OlgaC likes this

Welcome Olga! 

OlgaC likes this

Hey everyone! Everything went smoothly yesterday. Obviously there was some pain. I got a single incision VSG through my belly button. I'm still not able to drink anything, but my doctor just left my room and told me that today at around 6-7pm I will get ice chips. I've been feeling really hot even if the room was cold. 

athenarose likes this

Welcome to the losers bench Olga!

OlgaC likes this

Hi Olga, glad things went well. No reason to rush anything, you just want to follow the program. Is your surgeon having you walk around? Let us know how things are going!

[That's kind of the mantra: follow the program, and you get reliable, consistent good results. This isn't rocket science, it's pretty well worked out what you have to do. although we all have our personal challenges and issues and such]. 

OlgaC likes this

Yes, I started walking around my room last night, and this morning, too. 

That's great news Olga.  I found that the more I walked, the better I felt.

OlgaC likes this

Welcome to the losers bench! I'm glad to hear it went well. 

Wow, single incision through your belly button? No visible scars! 

athenarose and OlgaC like this

Yeah! That's what my doctor told me, when he gave me the date I was ok with having 5 little scars, then he told me I was a candidate for single through bb, and yesterdar before surgery he told me that if needed he would make one or two visible insitions but when I woke up he told me there was no need! Now I'm walking around the whole floor and thanks Goodness I brought nice PJs hahahah

Jen581791 likes this

Good for you Olga.

I have 5 rather visible (although small) laparoscopy incisions. When I asked my surgeon about it she just laughed and said there is a reason the technical term is stab wounds (they just jab you with trocars to get the instruments into the belly after inflating your abdominal cavity with carbon dioxide). So, picking up on that, the few times at the gym pool when someone has noticed my recent incisions, I just tell them they are stab wounds. Makes them think I hang out with a much tougher group than I do. 

My wife tried to get me to buy pajamas for the hospital, but I said no since they won't fit me later. So I ended up wearing a few gowns front and back to keep people from seeing "too much information." Wish I had bought the PJs!

Aussie H and OlgaC like this

Hahaha I got some cheap ones from Costco so I wouldn't feel bad for not using them long enough.

Until now my biggest struggle has been with my family because they're avoiding to eat and drink sodas infront of me. Honestly, I'm not craving what they have, and I tell them they shouldn't stop eating because of me, that I don't want any special treatment, they just don't get it.

Jen581791 likes this

It's hard for anyone to get it unless they have been through the same thing. At least they are trying to be considerate !

Hope you get to advance your diet today...

OlgaC likes this

Today is my first monthiversary! Best decision I've ever taken!!! 

Lori88, Res Ipsa, athenarose and 1 other like this

Happy monthiversary!

OlgaC likes this

Although I just got out of my one month check up and I've lost 18lbs, but my doctor told me he was expecting around 25... I feel disappointed, 

1 hour ago, OlgaC said:

Although I just got out of my one month check up and I've lost 18lbs, but my doctor told me he was expecting around 25... I feel disappointed, 

18 pounds in a month is great!  :)

OlgaC likes this

Oh, be happy! It's a wonderful number! 

We all lose at different rates. If this rate is lower than you would like, would just use this as an opportunity to review your diet, review your exercise. Lots of current posters have had not "very impressive" first month numbers and still done splendidly. So can you. Some of us have stalls early on, some later, some lose weight fast and some slow. Key is to be on that pathway to consistent weight loss and being vigilant about things. None of this is rocket science. It's all about eating the right stuff, healthy habits, etc. You will get to your goal by keeping to the path. 

There are a number of scientific papers that have looked at the issue of initial weight loss. They suggest that people who pay attention to how they are doing early on as you have can rid themselves of anything that is undermining their progress... or if they are doing what they should be doing, rest easy that with time they will get the results they want. I think @Jen581791, who has been quite satisfied with her progress, had a slow first month (she can confirm or slap me upside the head, as is appropriate)...

So the obvious questions are simple:

Can you shift any further to more protein and eat fewer carbs? Even if you have been eating only a small percentage of your diet as carbohydrates, some people need to be < 20 grams a day to enter ketosis, for example. That is a very low amount. If you look at people eating exactly the same number of calories, but one group in protein-induced ketosis and the other with more carbohydrates, the ketotic group loses more weight, or loses weight when the higher carbohydrate group does not. Maybe you are eating more carbs than you realize. If you are doing ok in this arena, pat yourself on the back and move on. 

Can you do more exercise? Many of us on the Forum have not had the habit of exercise or been exercising before their surgery. I see from your numbers you are aiming to lose just over 50% of your total body weight. My guess is that the excess weight has made it hard for you to, well, run marathons or compete in the Olympics. So don't beat yourself up: just do a very small amount more exercise every day if you can. If you have not been exercising, well just walk a little bit more every day. That will boost your metabolic rate a touch up and get you to where you want to be. Think about what you might want to do over the next 3, 6, or 12 months. If you are not yet able to do this, then think about adding it when you can. statistically it makes a difference. 

@tmcgee (a gentleman with a beautiful way with words) has lost a gazillion pounds without any exercise. There must be quite a few Adults on the site who have lost weight the same way who could chime in. Exercise is not necessary but it may help you psychologically as well as metabolically. 

You have just lost 18 lbs and you will continue to do well. Congratulations!!

MargM, Res Ipsa, kayak19 and 2 others like this

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, OlgaC said:

Hi @OlgaC - @BurgundyBoy is right - I had a "disappointing" first month (compared to lots of other people I was in communication with who lost 25-30 lbs). I lost 16. My monthly stats are in my signature line exactly so people can see that my first month was pretty slow, but the months after have been good. Well, actually, month two was NOT so good - 10 lbs :( I was feeling panicky, like this was not going to work for me - like it was another diet failure. However, the months after that have picked up, and although I'm only 4 months out, I'm quite happy with the speed I'm losing - it adds up. Reading messages like this from other people here on TTF helped me to feel a little less desperate. 

Another thing that helped me feel better was that I was as perfect as I could be with my diet - high protein, low carb (20-30g per day), no "cheating" of any kind. It's totally possible to lose well even if "cheating" a little - hey, I know people who do - but it made me FEEL better to not eat anything that wasn't helping me get my protein for the day. That way, I absolutely knew that I had no blame if I didn't lose quickly. It was 100% my body dealing with its new situation, not my behavior. That helped me to relax a bit about not losing as fast as I had hoped. I couldn't blame myself at all and I couldn't feel guilty. I know I'll be able to eat things later that I'm not eating now, but I'm taking advantage of this first year to lose as much as I can as fast as I can. I don't want to look back on this year later with any regret at all. I want to say I tried my absolute hardest to succeed.

I walked some, but not a lot, for the first two months. At that point, I had more energy and started walking more. Now I'm walking quite a lot. I'm not sure if that has made a difference in the speed of my loss or not, but it makes me FEEL better and it makes my feel like I'm trying my hardest.

I feel really sad when I see people here whose doctors have expressed disappointment with their losses, especially in the first few months. Doctors should know that 1) people lose at different rates due to factors beyond their control, and 2) the fight against obesity is very much a mental game, and people who have had WLS really DO NOT need help in feeling badly about themselves. We're very good at that already. A discouraging word from a respected authority at the wrong time can be the start of a depression spiral. If the doctor suspects the patient is self-sabotaging, he/she should ask questions, not express disappointment.

At four months out, I've now caught up, or almost caught up, to the people I was comparing myself to during the first month. 

Just do your best to follow your diet (and exercise) plans. That way you'll be confident that you have tried your hardest and you can be proud of your losses. Be proud of your 18 pounds. It's an excellent start!

Edited by Jen581791
Trish1967, OlgaC, Res Ipsa and 4 others like this