I want to talk about acid reflux/heartburn and VSG. 

Who had it before the surgery?  

Did it go away or get more severe?

Who did not have a problem but did after their surgery?  

Who takes medication for it?  Does it work?

Any comments and experiences at all with 

acid reflux/heartburn will help me. Thank you.

Had it on-and-off before VSG. Hiatal hernia repaired by my surgeon during VSG procedure. My surgeon has me on daily omeprazole (an agent that decreases acid production) which I take every morning upon rising. The regimen is to take is for at least 90 days after surgery and then re-evaluate. No problems to date (Day 54 after surgery) 

We were put on a generic Prilosec for 3 months after surgery (may have been a little longer).

I had occasional acid reflux problems before I had a gastric bypass. I have not had any problems since my surgery, which is typical since acid reflux usually is cured by a gastric bypass.

Most surgeons will not recommend the sleeve to a person with significant acid reflux problems.

I had serious reflux issues before surgery. In fact the reflux was what took me to the surgeon. I was on some pretty hefty meds that were still next to useless in my situation. After bypass I've taken no meds at all for it and so far had no reflux. I accept though that it's still very early days for me. My surgeon will not perform VSG or Omega Loop Mini Bypass on patients with a history of reflux.

I know three people who had VSG, all used different surgeons, all 2-3 years out. Going into surgery none had ever experienced reflux. All 3 have reflux issues now with two of them wishing they had the necessary funding to access revisional surgeries.

Edited by Aussie H

On 5/13/2017 at 10:34 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

Had it on-and-off before VSG. Hiatal hernia repaired by my surgeon during VSG procedure. My surgeon has me on daily omeprazole (an agent that decreases acid production) which I take every morning upon rising.  

All of this is the same for me. Except I still have a problem with it. If I eat or drink within a hour of bedtime I will wake up choking on acid. So, I don't eat or drink within an hour of bed time and I stay away from super spicy food at night. I use Tums to supplement my acid pill when needed. A year after VSG my surgeon scoped me to see if I have acid damage. I don't have much so I don't worry too much about it. 

22 hours ago, Stephtay said:

All of this is the same for me. Except I still have a problem with it. If I eat or drink within a hour of bedtime I will wake up choking on acid. So, I don't eat or drink within an hour of bed time and I stay away from super spicy food at night. I use Tums to supplement my acid pill when needed. A year after VSG my surgeon scoped me to see if I have acid damage. I don't have much so I don't worry too much about it. 

Thanks for this head's up - have had it a couple of times when, like you, I ate food just before bedtime, but otherwise doing ok. Am wondering how much my hiatal hernia repair has decreased my reflux risk... I'll have to add this to the questions I have for my surgeon when next I see her.