Trish1967

I forgot to ask my surgeon :/

58 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Aussie H said:

They do a lot of abdominal (and pelvic) surgeries like this. Hysterectomies are done vertically but the opposite way so you're feet up which moves the abdominal organs away from the pelvis , and I'm sure my RNY was on tilt as well. The tell-tale sign is having your arms buckled to the table. While I wasn't awake when that happened....I knew from the positioning of the gel wrapped armrests that it was on the cards. Post surgery I have the same pinched nerve in my upper arm the I had after my hysterectomy as well... Only this time it's the opposite arm.

I was second on the list when I had surgery but the first procedure must have been a really short one. It was under an hour from the time I arrived at the hospital to the time I was in the operating theatre. Sure glad I wasn't one of the patients after me though because my surgery ran almost 4 hours. Not only would the next patient have been waiting for them to finish me, but the staff would have all taken a lunch break after that.

Buckle yourself in Trish....you're in for one hell of an incredible  ride!!!!!!

HI Aussie H, how did your post-op go? 
Any revelations by your surgeon? 4 hours is a long time to be in the OR. 

NerdyLady likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

HI Aussie H, how did your post-op go? 
Any revelations by your surgeon? 4 hours is a long time to be in the OR. 

Plus I had two bariatric surgeons doing it!!! I was a mess internally but I'll make a separate post in the revisions section of the board tomorrow about what I know went down.

Post-op went really well. Thanks for asking. No real revelations regarding the surgery, although a huge revelation regarding what he believes will be my main issue moving forward. He is expecting that over the next 18 months my weight will drop to around 50kgs (110lbs) which is way too low for my height and build. This is because of my 30 BMI on day of surgery. I was seriously shocked to hear that figure. Everything I had read up until now had suggested that revisions (and low BMIs) lose less and lose slowly post surgery.....I've so far averaged a pound a day since mine. He did say he would expect it to bounce back another 10kg (22lbs) after that, and that it's important that I let it. He gave me a list of the blood tests he wants my doctor to order every 3 months, and said I am to have them a week before I have my appointments with him. He also told me I must have a 3 monthly appointment with him for the next two years. Malnutrition is the very big concern in my case. He also told me that I was to start eating any solid foods that I could tolerate from now on, but that protien shake type supplements could well be a life long necessity in my case. 

Edited by Aussie H
NerdyLady, Jen581791 and Res Ipsa like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, @Aussie H , you'll have to take really good care of yourself!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope that all went well and look forward to hearing how you are! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a set of challenges - Glad you've done well. Trying to get my head around going from a life of avoiding food to one of having to meticulously make sure you get enough in. This business of WLS is not an inevitable joy ride. 

NerdyLady and Aussie H like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Aussie H said:

Plus I had two bariatric surgeons doing it!!! I was a mess internally but I'll make a separate post in the revisions section of the board tomorrow about what I know went down.

Post-op went really well. Thanks for asking. No real revelations regarding the surgery, although a huge revelation regarding what he believes will be my main issue moving forward. He is expecting that over the next 18 months my weight will drop to around 50kgs (110lbs) which is way too low for my height and build. This is because of my 30 BMI on day of surgery. I was seriously shocked to hear that figure. Everything I had read up until now had suggested that revisions (and low BMIs) lose less and lose slowly post surgery.....I've so far averaged a pound a day since mine. He did say he would expect it to bounce back another 10kg (22lbs) after that, and that it's important that I let it. He gave me a list of the blood tests he wants my doctor to order every 3 months, and said I am to have them a week before I have my appointments with him. He also told me I must have a 3 monthly appointment with him for the next two years. Malnutrition is the very big concern in my case. He also told me that I was to start eating any solid foods that I could tolerate from now on, but that protien shake type supplements could well be a life long necessity in my case. 

Let us know how we can best support you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

What a set of challenges - Glad you've done well. Trying to get my head around going from a life of avoiding food to one of having to meticulously make sure you get enough in. This business of WLS is not an inevitable joy ride. 

I actually said this to my surgeon myself. Never in my life has a doctor ever told me to increase calories and gain weight, so should that day ever happen it will indeed be a surreal experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aussie H, take a tape recorder or something similar when you go, you have to capture the moment! Too weird. What a life, WLS is ... full of twists and turns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now