Trish1967

I forgot to ask my surgeon :/

58 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Aussie H said:

Best wishes for tomorrow Trish. It's Tuesday here in Australia, not sure if it's tomorrow for you yet. I have my first post-op tomorrow, hopefully I'll find out more about what he actually did. Plus I'm hoping I'll get a referral to a local dietician because an occasional randomly timed phone call from his is next to useless.

Thanks, Aussie :) It's 7:50am Tuesday morning as I type this, so by this time tomorrow I should be either getting prepped for surgery or already having it done. I call the hospital after 1 pm to find out what time for sure. Good luck with your post op visit! I hope you can get referred to a good dietician, because that really makes all the difference in the world. Mine is right in my surgeon's office and she's great, so I'm very lucky. He's a very strict doctor and only uses his own people, and they know exactly what he wants, to the letter. 

As a side note, I sure hope the hospital has the air conditioning cranked up tomorrow, because it's supposed to be 87 degrees tomorrow and 90 on Thursday...I don't tolerate the heat well, and of course the 2 hottest days so far this year are the 2 I will be in the hospital! Please post how you made out at your visit tomorrow...I'm going to try and check in here after surgery if I'm up to it :) 

Jen581791 and NerdyLady like this

Just wanted to say good luck Trish!

I've found that after surgery I've been really cold. So hopefully your worries about the temperature won't be around for much longer. :)

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

4 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

I'm going to try and check in here after surgery if I'm up to it

Best of luck, and can't wait to hear from you on the other side!

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

GO TRISH, GO!!!!

LETS DO THIS.gif

Trish1967 and Jen581791 like this

10 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

GO TRISH, GO!!!!

LETS DO THIS.gif

^^^This...yes!!! I've gotta be at the hospital at 5:45am..I knew he was gonna put me first on the schedule! :) I'm SOOO ready!!

NerdyLady likes this

2 hours ago, like_rain_to_sea said:

Just wanted to say good luck Trish!

I've found that after surgery I've been really cold. So hopefully your worries about the temperature won't be around for much longer. :)

Thank you, rain!! I hope you're right about being cold...I've been colder~ish since having my thyroid removed, but I was in the AC all last summer so I don't know how I'll handle this heat. It's all good though! I'm gonna bring my mini fan and see if they will let me use it if necessary :) 

36 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

Best of luck, and can't wait to hear from you on the other side!

Thank you, Jen! :):):) 

Best of luck Trish. May the force be with you! As like-rain-to-sea noted, you may end up becoming cold sensitive and relish the warm days! I never thought that would happen to me but it has. 

Aussie, hope all well at post op visit. Getting off the liquid diet was great. 

Trish1967 likes this

I've been thinking about you all last night and today, Trish. I hope all went well. Can't wait for you to check in!

Trish1967 likes this

2 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

^^^This...yes!!! I've gotta be at the hospital at 5:45am..I knew he was gonna put me first on the schedule! :) I'm SOOO ready!!

I was first on the schedule and it was awesome. I know I would have been a nervous wreck if I had to wait around for my surgery. I'm glad that you will be first!

Trish1967 likes this

Go for it Trish! 

Like NerdyLady, I was first too, and it helped my nerves in some odd way. Getting up really early and driving to the hospital in the dark seemed to give the day the right degree of ceremony. One chapter - a long chapter - in my life closed and a new chapter - I hope a long chapter too - opened.

Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

Great news - I also was first on the schedule.

Here is a weird fact about my surgery that I only learned after my surgery.  Once I was strapped on to the operating table and knocked out, they made the operating table vertical so that when they operated on me laparoscopically I was standing up. :o

Trish1967, NerdyLady and Jen581791 like this

@Res Ipsa Woah! :blink:

Res Ipsa and Trish1967 like this

1 hour ago, Res Ipsa said:

Here is a weird fact about my surgery that I only learned after my surgery.  Once I was strapped on to the operating table and knocked out, they made the operating table vertical so that when they operated on me laparoscopically I was standing up. :o

That's a cool fact!

Trish1967 and Res Ipsa like this

I keep thinking your surgery is today. My mind must be in Australia with Aussie H! Here's to a smooth surgery tomorrow!!

Trish1967 likes this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

They do a lot of abdominal (and pelvic) surgeries like this. Hysterectomies are done vertically but the opposite way so you're feet up which moves the abdominal organs away from the pelvis , and I'm sure my RNY was on tilt as well. The tell-tale sign is having your arms buckled to the table. While I wasn't awake when that happened....I knew from the positioning of the gel wrapped armrests that it was on the cards. Post surgery I have the same pinched nerve in my upper arm the I had after my hysterectomy as well... Only this time it's the opposite arm.

I was second on the list when I had surgery but the first procedure must have been a really short one. It was under an hour from the time I arrived at the hospital to the time I was in the operating theatre. Sure glad I wasn't one of the patients after me though because my surgery ran almost 4 hours. Not only would the next patient have been waiting for them to finish me, but the staff would have all taken a lunch break after that.

Buckle yourself in Trish....you're in for one hell of an incredible  ride!!!!!!

Edited by Aussie H
Jen581791, Trish1967 and Res Ipsa like this

Irreverently, I wonder if we paid extra they'd give us a ride like at Disneyworld as we woke up. I'll have to ask my surgeon next month if she does this (the positioning, not the Disneyworld ride). 

Trish, the advice to buckle up and enjoy the ride has new meaning!

Trish1967, Aussie H and NerdyLady like this

10 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Oh wow...really?!? That's crazy!! I'll have to ask my surgeon if he does it that way before I get taken into the OR :blink: lol :) 

11 hours ago, Gretta said:

I've been thinking about you all last night and today, Trish. I hope all went well. Can't wait for you to check in!

It's 2:20am...I woke up with sciatica and knee pain (nothing new) and couldn't stay in bed. So here I sit, in the dark, waiting for my alarm to go off in 2 hours, lol. I haven't been in yet, I will be leaving here in about 2 1/2 hours to head to the hospital. Thank you for thinking of me, and I will definitely be checking in later between walks! :wub:

Vaultgirl72 and NerdyLady like this

12 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Best of luck Trish. May the force be with you! As like-rain-to-sea noted, you may end up becoming cold sensitive and relish the warm days! I never thought that would happen to me but it has. 

Aussie, hope all well at post op visit. Getting off the liquid diet was great. 

Thank you, BurgundyBoy! My hubby will appreciate the Star Wars reference, lol :) 

10 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

I was first on the schedule and it was awesome. I know I would have been a nervous wreck if I had to wait around for my surgery. I'm glad that you will be first!

I'm the same way with the waiting around. Once I get there, I want to get things moving! I don't think I've had one surgery that started after 8:30am (and I've had a LOT), so I've been pretty lucky. I can't wait to get the heck out of here and get to the hospital, lol :) 

8 hours ago, Aussie H said:

They do a lot of abdominal (and pelvic) surgeries like this. Hysterectomies are done vertically but the opposite way so you're feet up which moves the abdominal organs away from the pelvis , and I'm sure my RNY was on tilt as well. The tell-tale sign is having your arms buckled to the table. While I wasn't awake when that happened....I knew from the positioning of the gel wrapped armrests that it was on the cards. Post surgery I have the same pinched nerve in my upper arm the I had after my hysterectomy as well... Only this time it's the opposite arm.

I was second on the list when I had surgery but the first procedure must have been a really short one. It was under an hour from the time I arrived at the hospital to the time I was in the operating theatre. Sure glad I wasn't one of the patients after me though because my surgery ran almost 4 hours. Not only would the next patient have been waiting for them to finish me, but the staff would have all taken a lunch break after that.

Buckle yourself in Trish....you're in for one hell of an incredible  ride!!!!!!

I'm buckled up and ready to go, Aussie!!! :) 

5 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Irreverently, I wonder if we paid extra they'd give us a ride like at Disneyworld as we woke up. I'll have to ask my surgeon next month if she does this (the positioning, not the Disneyworld ride). 

Trish, the advice to buckle up and enjoy the ride has new meaning!

Lol :D

Love and prayers Trish! You got this!!

3 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

Love and prayers Trish! You got this!!

Don't forget to fart as much as you can!! I'm not kidding. :wub:

Smashlee83 likes this