Trish1967

I forgot to ask my surgeon :/

58 posts in this topic

When I saw my surgeon on Wednesday, I forgot to ask him about laxatives. I'm just starting to get constipated this week (last year I was constipated for almost the entire time I was on the diet), and I want to take a bottle of mag citrate Sunday morning when I start my clear liquids. I don't want any remnants left in there before surgery and start my post op period with constipation. Do any of you know if it's safe to take that prior to bypass surgery? I'd call my surgeon's office, but tomorrow is Saturday and they aren't open. Thanks for any help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't take mag citrate before surgery unless specifically requested to do so. That stuff can make you seriously dehydrated. If you do use it then at least tell them as soon as you arrive at the hospital. I used soluble fibre in my shakes prior to surgery just to keep everything moving. There was no bowel prep required by my surgeon so I did nothing other than eat to his plan. I wasn't constipated after surgery although it was about 4 bays before there was any kind of bm.

Trish1967 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not take any medicine not approved by the surgeon in the days prior to surgery. 

By the way, milk of magnesia worked well for me for occasional constipation in the weeks after my surgery. 

Trish1967 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aussie H said:

I wouldn't take mag citrate before surgery unless specifically requested to do so. That stuff can make you seriously dehydrated. If you do use it then at least tell them as soon as you arrive at the hospital. I used soluble fibre in my shakes prior to surgery just to keep everything moving. There was no bowel prep required by my surgeon so I did nothing other than eat to his plan. I wasn't constipated after surgery although it was about 4 bays before there was any kind of bm.

I didn't even think about dehydration, Aussie!! Thanks for reminding me of that! I'm so glad TT is here :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Res Ipsa said:

I would not take any medicine not approved by the surgeon in the days prior to surgery. 

By the way, milk of magnesia worked well for me for occasional constipation in the weeks after my surgery. 

Thanks, Res...milk of magnesia works well for me too, but my thinking was that I'd use the heavy artillery if I was going to use a laxative before surgery to make sure I'm cleaned out. I'm not going to take anything before, and hope whatever is still in there will take care of itself while I'm on liquids :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My surgeon told me that he didnt recommend mag citrate.  For some reason it doesn't really help as far as surgery.  

Trish1967 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, and Aussie...I'm not expecting any kind of "movement" post op for a while lol. I figure, how much could you have to go post op since you're on liquids 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

My surgeon told me that he didnt recommend mag citrate.  For some reason it doesn't really help as far as surgery.  

Thanks, cheesehead :) I'm gonna play it safe, and not take anything. You guys are the best!

Jabsie likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trish - put a call into your surgeon's office and ask what they'd recommend.

Trish1967 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Trish - put a call into your surgeon's office and ask what they'd recommend.

Thanks, Cinwa...I will probably do that if I can't get things moving over the weekend. I just don't want to be backed up when I go in for surgery Wednesday, but I will call them Monday if necessary. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I think 3-4 days after surgery before first BM. 

re: fiber, I'm including chia seeds in my breakfast protein shake and still taking psyllium a couple of times a day. Morning routine is newspaper & exactly 8 ozs (240 mls) strong coffee, movement, check weight, then on to breakfast. Major issue with these high protein diets!

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2017 at 8:51 AM, Trish1967 said:

Thanks, Cinwa...I will probably do that if I can't get things moving over the weekend. I just don't want to be backed up when I go in for surgery Wednesday, but I will call them Monday if necessary. :) 

Does your surgeon have an on call service over the weekend? 

Trish1967 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

Does your surgeon have an on call service over the weekend? 

No, unfortunately not...but I'm thinking of calling the hospital to see if their pre op testing department is staffed today. They are the folks that told me what meds to take before surgery and which ones to stop. They will probably be able to tell me if I can take something. If not, I'll just call my surgeons office in the morning. What's one more day, right?

NerdyLady likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, actually, they have an on call service, but it's for emergencies. I don't think they'd appreciate me calling to ask about laxatives, pre op, lol

NerdyLady likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure to call first thing in the AM! I know I don't need to tell you that :)

Trish1967 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

Make sure to call first thing in the AM! I know I don't need to tell you that :)

Lol...I don't need to call him now, what I'm taking in on this liquid diet so far today seems to be doing the trick! :o

NerdyLady likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's great news Trish ... just today and tomorrow to get through and then you're headed for the losers bench.

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, cinwa said:

That's great news Trish ... just today and tomorrow to get through and then you're headed for the losers bench.

Woohoo!! I can't wait to be on the losers bench!! And yes great news, no laxative needed anymore lol! :lol: I made it through day one of liquids surprisingly easy...I was expecting it to be horrible, but it wasn't. :) 

NerdyLady likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep up the good work!

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, BurgundyBoy! In the home stretch now!

NerdyLady likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trish1967, you've already done a lot of hard things. You are definitely in the home stretch. Just keep moving forward!

NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Trish1967, you've already done a lot of hard things. You are definitely in the home stretch. Just keep moving forward!

I'm chugging along! 

NerdyLady likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

I'm chugging along! 

It's the final countdown! *doo doo! Doo do doo doo doo!*

Trish1967 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

It's the final countdown! *doo doo! Doo do doo doo doo!*

Yes ma'am!! 24 hours from now will be the last liquid with my "old" stomach!! I have to call the hospital tomorrow between 1-3pm to find out what time I'm scheduled to be there on Wednesday :) Tomorrow is also the last day I babysit for my grandson for a month :( but at least I still get to see him everyday! 

NerdyLady, Res Ipsa and Jen581791 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trish1967 said:

Yes ma'am!! 24 hours from now will be the last liquid with my "old" stomach!! I have to call the hospital tomorrow between 1-3pm to find out what time I'm scheduled to be there on Wednesday :) Tomorrow is also the last day I babysit for my grandson for a month :( but at least I still get to see him everyday! 

Best wishes for tomorrow Trish. It's Tuesday here in Australia, not sure if it's tomorrow for you yet. I have my first post-op tomorrow, hopefully I'll find out more about what he actually did. Plus I'm hoping I'll get a referral to a local dietician because an occasional randomly timed phone call from his is next to useless.

Trish1967 and Res Ipsa like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now