Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dtrain84

Back On Liquid Diet For 10 Days

32 posts in this topic

I've been in hospital the past 2 days after not being able to keep food, liquids and my chewable supplements down, I had been throwing everything back up the previous 2 days with severe pain in the middle of my chest everytime I ate or drank. An endoscopy was preformed and the jejunum (small intestine) had narrowed to the point food the I had eaten previously had become stuck and couldn't pass from my pouch. The food was removed and the jejunum was dialated with a balloon at the end of the scope. I'm glad to report that I feel great and everything is back to normal. I will be discharged this afternoon back on a 10 liquid diet. Just a small setback in my journey but this too shall pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry you've been in hospital - strictures aren't fun.

Dtrain84 and Trish1967 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dtrain84 said:

I've been in hospital the past 2 days after not being able to keep food, liquids and my chewable supplements down, I had been throwing everything back up the previous 2 days with severe pain in the middle of my chest everytime I ate or drank. An endoscopy was preformed and the jejunum (small intestine) had narrowed to the point food the I had eaten previously had become stuck and couldn't pass from my pouch. The food was removed and the jejunum was dialated with a balloon at the end of the scope. I'm glad to report that I feel great and everything is back to normal. I will be discharged this afternoon back on a 10 liquid diet. Just a small setback in my journey but this too shall pass.

I'm glad you feel better. It's a bummer that this happened but I'm glad that it was caught before any major damage was done. 

As you said, this too shall pass!

Dtrain84 and Trish1967 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank for the support ladies! I'm determined to be more knowledgeable in my journey. 

Trish1967 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did they mention that you might have to have more than one dilation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been discharged yet, I'm waiting to see my surgeon. I will definitely ask him that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wow, Dtrain, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this!! I'm glad you're feeling better now, but geez!! After everything you've gone through and then have this happen...ugh! Praying for a speedy recovery and you get discharged soon.

Dtrain84 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

Oh wow, Dtrain, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this!! I'm glad you're feeling better now, but geez!! After everything you've gone through and then have this happen...ugh! Praying for a speedy recovery and you get discharged soon.

Thanks Trish! I'm using my setbacks in my journey to strengthen my motivation to reach my goals. I get a lot of strength from support and following everybody's journey this group. I'm so glad I found this place! 

Trish1967, Jen581791 and Clickin like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your positive attitude about all of this will carry you through! And yes, this group is awesome! The support here is priceless :) 

Dtrain84 and Stephtay like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, cinwa said:

Did they mention that you might have to have more than one dilation?

I asked and was told that after this dialtion, I shouldn't have anymore issues with the jujenum narrowing again. They also told me to make sure I chew very well as they found small piece of a meatball( the last thing I ate Monday night) that wasn't well chewed. I also take that as one of life's lesson learned. 

Edited by Dtrain84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have a great attitude in the face of your momentary setback! It will serve you well in your weight loss.

Stephtay, Trish1967 and Dtrain84 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dtrain84 said:

I've been in hospital the past 2 days after not being able to keep food, liquids and my chewable supplements down, I had been throwing everything back up the previous 2 days with severe pain in the middle of my chest everytime I ate or drank. An endoscopy was preformed and the jejunum (small intestine) had narrowed to the point food the I had eaten previously had become stuck and couldn't pass from my pouch. The food was removed and the jejunum was dialated with a balloon at the end of the scope. I'm glad to report that I feel great and everything is back to normal. I will be discharged this afternoon back on a 10 liquid diet. Just a small setback in my journey but this too shall pass.

Oh no! Sorry to hear this! Big hug and wishing you a speedy recovery!

Trish1967 and Dtrain84 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that's no fun. Your attitude is awesome. Nothing can stop you!

Dtrain84 and Trish1967 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately strictures are probably the most common complication following bypass surgery. I'm glad you got it sorted quickly.

LOL at being caught with the meatball... Is nothing secret anymore!!!!!! I'll remember that because my surgeon knows me well enough these days to give me a clip around the ears if he caught me out not following every instruction to the letter. Haha!!!

Jen581791 and Trish1967 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, the Meatball of Shame! :lol: I'm glad you got it figured out, and let that be a lesson to all of us. I hope the dilation is a one-time deal for you, but if not, it sounds like it went OK and you handled it well. 

Liquid for 10 days doesn't sound great, but it'll soon be over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

Oh, the Meatball of Shame! :lol: I'm glad you got it figured out, and let that be a lesson to all of us. I hope the dilation is a one-time deal for you, but if not, it sounds like it went OK and you handled it well. 

Liquid for 10 days doesn't sound great, but it'll soon be over. 

Lol Jen...meatball of shame!! That gets filed under the "things only weight loss surgery patients will understand" heading! :lol:

Aussie H, Dtrain84 and Jen581791 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jen581791 said:

Oh, the Meatball of Shame! :lol: I'm glad you got it figured out, and let that be a lesson to all of us. I hope the dilation is a one-time deal for you, but if not, it sounds like it went OK and you handled it well. 

Liquid for 10 days doesn't sound great, but it'll soon be over. 

Turkey meatballs was on the list of my stage 4 diet. I didn't chew it well enough. The meatball of shame? Lol!!! 

Jen581791 and Trish1967 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Dtrain84 said:

Turkey meatballs was on the list of my stage 4 diet. I didn't chew it well enough. The meatball of shame? Lol!!! 

I think she was making a pun on the "walk of shame" if I'm not mistaken, lol :lol:

Dtrain84 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dtrain84 said:

Turkey meatballs was on the list of my stage 4 diet. I didn't chew it well enough. The meatball of shame? Lol!!! 

I figured it was on your ok foods list, just the not chewing well enough - something I'm guilty of, but plan to be more careful about. I was trying to imagine the doctor pulling if out, identifying it, and mentioning it, like "be careful!" 

Glad you're doing better. I was so afraid of getting a stricture. Sorry it led to more hospital time.

Dtrain84, Trish1967 and Res Ipsa like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jen581791 said:

I figured it was on your ok foods list, just the not chewing well enough - something I'm guilty of, but plan to be more careful about. I was trying to imagine the doctor pulling if out, identifying it, and mentioning it, like "be careful!"

Yep that's what I was thinking.

It reminded me of a story I was told by a local man where I live of his trip for surgery to the same surgeon I had in the city. He drove the 3+ hours to the city for his pre-op appt, an appointment that hospital doesn't get through in a very timely manner in my experience. This old guy must have been hungry by the time his appointment was over because he headed straight for the hospital cafeteria. According to him he was happily tucking into a hotdog and chips when he felt someone pull on his ear., then heard "oi i'm supposed to be operating on you tomorrow" as he turned to see the surgeon standing next to him. I made sure when I was there to order a decaf coffee and munch on my optifast bar....just in case!!!

Trish1967, Dtrain84, Havamal and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^Lol Aussie :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got an update, my Dr./surgeon said if I have no issues tolerating the liquid diet over the weekend, I can resume the stage 4 diet on Monday! Yesss!!!

Jen581791 and Trish1967 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's great news!

Dtrain84 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really good news Dtrain. Hope the liquid diet goes ok for you.

Dtrain84 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dtrain84, Glad you are better and no long-term issues. Intestinal blockages really suck. 

In 6 months it may be a story you tell to friends over dinner when meatballs are served. (Imagine your Thin You spearing  a meatball, staring at it, then theatrically shaking your head and saying, "Yes, one of these nearly killed me." You'll be the toast of the dinner circuit). On a more serious note, when people say that surgery is the easy way out - your episode is a good example of how surgery it is NOT easy. Who would have thought a meatball could do this to anyone?!

 

 

Trish1967 and Dtrain84 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0