Carina

How do y'all get out the door in the morning? Lol

22 posts in this topic

Yesterday I went back to work for the first time. I was pretty tired when I got home, but I wasn't exhausted or ill like I was kind of afraid of being. Yay! 

But man o man, it is not easy to get out the door in the morning now! I prepared my meals and snacks and supplements the night before, knew what I was going to have for breakfast etc., but the slow eating and not drinking while eating added like 30-45 minutes to the whole program. I ended up leaving about an hour later than I would normally do. It wasn't a problem since they weren't expecting me to work a whole day anyway, but geez, how early do I have to get up??

Who's got magic ideas?

Not magic, but it helps to keep an extra set of your vitamins at work (if you have a desk or locker in which to store them), so that you do not have to pack them to take to work every day. 

I am not sure if this an option for you but i am able to eat at work if i need to and like res mentioned i keep an extra thing of my vitamins at work. Also i typically do a protein shake in the morning so that is something I can do while I'm getting ready. 

I keep a ziplock in my desk of vitamins. When I was on liquids I just ran out the door with a very large protein shake that I would have throughout the day. Now I've been packing for the week. This week I boiled a bunch of eggs, grabbed a pound of turkey lunch meat and cut up some cheddar into 1 oz portions. I have easy grab meals all day long.

I generally start the day with a protein shake (or half of one) and when I was working, I took my breakfast/mid morning snack to work with me.

I pack my vitamins the night before in a little container. Then just grab 2 premade protein shakes, a string cheese and a pre portioned bag of almonds. If I know I'm working late, I will throw in a Greek yogurt. I also portion protein powder the night before when I use it since I added fiber and sugar free pudding mix. 

I also need fast as I am not a morning person, I'm over a year out and struggling to transition to something other than a shake for lunch because it's so easy!

Drink on your way to work.  But like others, I mostly had protein shakes for breakfast so the whole eating/drinking 30 minute thing wasn't an issue.  I also work 10-12 hours with no breaks so a formal lunch is out of the question.  I simply sipped protein shakes and fluids in between appointments, maybe squeezing in a piece of string cheese and eventually nuts, jerky and protein bars for daytime snacks.  I never get an actual sit down, formal meal until the evening.  Been dong it like this for over 3 years.

@ThinCVT Nice to see you again! 

I'm not crazy about protein shakes, but that would be an option.

ThinCVT likes this

6 hours ago, Carina said:

@ThinCVT Nice to see you again! 

I'm not crazy about protein shakes, but that would be an option.

I'm not crazy about protein shakes either, but I've come to rely on them as a faithful friend. Having a demanding toddler around makes it hard for me to get in a meal in the morning. I've experimented with different supplements and found a whey protein that has virtually no taste. I mix that up in the blender with some fruit. I also rely on the boxed shakes which I don't love, but are great when I have to run out the door. Maybe having a backup box of the ready made shakes at work could be helpful?

Carina likes this

Protein shakes! 

Actually, I've been thinking about the protein-shake-on-the-run thing. It's not just that I'm not crazy about them (but all right, I'll keep them on hand for whenever), it's the idea of eating ANYTHING fast, even if it's a protein shake. My pouch only acts up if I eat too fast, so I really watch out for that.

But again, it's a good option for when it's necessary!

NerdyLady likes this

So I've posted before about my weirdness. I drink my premier shake in the shower. It works for me. It's weird. I know. 

Posted (edited)

@Clickin Lol, I used to drink my coffee in the shower in grad school. :D

Edited by Carina
Clickin likes this

8 hours ago, Clickin said:

So I've posted before about my weirdness. I drink my premier shake in the shower. It works for me. It's weird. I know. 

This makes me puffy heart love you.

Clickin likes this

10 hours ago, Carina said:

Actually, I've been thinking about the protein-shake-on-the-run thing. It's not just that I'm not crazy about them (but all right, I'll keep them on hand for whenever), it's the idea of eating ANYTHING fast, even if it's a protein shake. My pouch only acts up if I eat too fast, so I really watch out for that.

But again, it's a good option for when it's necessary!

You can mix it up as soon as you wake up and sip on it while you are in the shower, getting dressed, driving to work, etc.. I usually took 2-3 hours to drink my protein shakes during those first few months.  Had one in the morning and one in the afternoon, sipping on them in between appointments.   At 24-32oz and 20-40g protein each, they made it easy to hit both goals and anything I drank or ate in addition was just bonus.  Used a variety of powders and torani syrups to invent new flavors.  Rarely had the same kind twice in the same week.

Carina likes this

My two cents. I dislike choking down protein shakes too, but I found that the Slim Fast Advance Protein Shakes, that are 20g of protein and 1g of sugar, are absolutely delicious! Maybe give them a chance. http://slimfast.com/advanced-nutrition/

Carina and Smashlee83 like this

I bought some special insulated drink containers for my morning commute / protein shake routine. 

I have been having the same issue and I have been back to work for 3 months. Lol. My doctor wants me on real food for every meal, but right now I would not get all my protein and liquids without my protein shake smoothie in the morning. I still have a hard time with getting enough fluids, but it's getting better. I have gone to protein bars to help, but many of them are too sweet and that is a slippery slope for me, so those are emergency rations only. I agree with other members: If I didn't drink my smoothie in the car and at school, I wouldn't make the time to eat a solid meal in the morning.

Carina likes this

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:58 PM, Zyia said:

My two cents. I dislike choking down protein shakes too, but I found that the Slim Fast Advance Protein Shakes, that are 20g of protein and 1g of sugar, are absolutely delicious! Maybe give them a chance. http://slimfast.com/advanced-nutrition/

These are the only shakes I like. It's my go to on the weekends when I'm on the run. Creamy Chocolate blended with a serving of peanut butter. It's heaven and keeps me full for the day.

6 hours ago, Smashlee83 said:

These are the only shakes I like. It's my go to on the weekends when I'm on the run. Creamy Chocolate blended with a serving of peanut butter. It's heaven and keeps me full for the day.

I will check them out.

Just now, Carina said:

I will check them out.

The only protein shakes that I like are the Premier Protein Chocolate pre-made shakes.  They are sold in 4 packs at Walgreens and CVS, and on-line at amazon.com.  They are also sold in larger packs at Costco.  They are quite tasty, and have 30 grams of protein and only 160 calories.

Carina likes this

Carina, the Premier Protein shakes also come in vanilla, strawberry and I think banana now in addition to the chocolate. I'm with Res Ipsa on this one, I think the Premier Protein shakes are quite tasty and the high protein is a plus. I drink one most every day as part of a shake, and if I do a long bicycle ride, I drink one as my recovery drink too. 

Perhaps this is true of the other pre-made shakes: if I use a powerful blender (a VitaMix) to make a shake, it beats up to incorporate air like egg whites, so I add the protein mix last and barely mix it into the fruit and stuff. Have other people noticed this? My experience is only based on the Premier Protein shakes.