Sign in to follow this  
mikef

Sleeve vs Bypass - Pain Level?

Which surgery is more invasive and more painful?  Which has a longer recovery time?  

Is one a bigger surgery than the other?  I think that's the word I'm looking for  

Which has more complications?  

With bypass I had no pain.  I was back to work full time on my feet without a break at 9 days.  I felt good.  I've not had any complications in 4 1/2 years.  I lost my weight in 9 months.  Everyone is different.  

Sleeve removes a part of your stomach (I didn't like that idea) and bypass reroutes your intestines.  Both are invasive in my opinion.  

2 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

With bypass I had no pain.  I was back to work full time on my feet without a break at 9 days.  I felt good.  I've not had any complications in 4 1/2 years.  I lost my weight in 9 months.  Everyone is different.  

Sleeve removes a part of your stomach (I didn't like that idea) and bypass reroutes your intestines.  Both are invasive in my opinion.  

My experience is pretty similar. Day of surgery was basically a blur, but by the next day, my pain was mild. Essentially felt like I'd had a good hard ab workout. I don't work outside the home, but I was more tired than normal for a good six weeks or so. 15 months post-op and no complications yet. Hit my goal weight at about 11 months post-op. The one thing that sticks out to me was something that my surgeon said at my 1 year checkup. She said, "Aren't you glad you chose bypass? My sleeve patients don't do nearly as well as my bypass patients." It could be just her experience, but it struck me as an interesting comment given that one of the main reasons I chose bypass was that it's been around longer than the sleeve and there were more long range studies regarding the effectiveness. But, like Cheesehead said, both are invasive. It's a matter of picking your poison in that regard. I'm not sure if one has a higher complication rate than the other; hopefully someone else will chime in with that info.

Hey Mike. I encourage you to post this in the Ask a Doctor section of this forum. Dr. Callery will lay it all out for you.

I had both a horizontal gastrectomy and an RNY on Thursday. 5 days after surgery I drove 300 miles on twisting country roads to get home. It wasn't particularly painful or I wouldn't have done it....but their was a reasonable level of discomfort after the first hour or so. Pain really is an individual thing. As others have said already, both are quite invasive procedures. According to my surgeon the recovery times are pretty similar.

I don't know that as far as recovery from surgery is concerned there is much to choose between the RNY and VSG.  

Most are done laparoscopically which requires several small incisions and three or more laparoscopes (small thin tubes with video cameras attached - to visualize the inside of the abdomen during the operation which the surgeon views on a TV monitor).

Thank you to everyone for all of the answers. I am probably overthinking this but I feel it is the most important decision I have ever made. I want to make the right choice. I don't want to look back and think I should of done it different. I don't ever want to have to do it again or go back under for any reason. For me it's a one time deal. 

I will post it in the Dr. Subforum as suggested.