1Lina

Pls help question and scared to death from the Rny

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone  i hope all of you are in the best of health. I need opinions from experienced individuals who have gone through RNY or had a conversion from sleeve to a bypass. Or just straight RNY. Have you had any seizures?? Does everyone have bowel obstructions? Haital hernia etc?  A little about me I had my initial surgery LSG OR VSG SLEEVE  2/13/2013 since I have had weight gained 40+ my lowest weight was 170lbs and now I am at 214lbs, I have severe reflux acid reflex and the doctor is saying I have to do a bypass to get rid of the reflux. I was scheduled a year ago but due to some personal life events I had to postpone plus I was concerned at the 170 that I would loose too much weight then  but I am  concerned about gastric sleeve conversion to gastric bypass due too many post online regarding patiences  experiencing seizures, haital hernia post gastric bypass . I am extremely scared and just looking for stuff online. Besides weight gain and severe reflux which isn't that severe as with many ppi anti acid medications it can be managed. I honestly want to do it now for the weight loss but I don't know if all the complications are worth it? Can people who have had the laparoscopic bypass  long term complications are worth it 

I had RNY. I also had horrendous  heart-burn and acid reflux, so bad that I had my gallbladder removed. That may be an avenue to look into. Since my gallbladder removal, I have had absolutely no flareups. At all. I remember the first time I had gastritis so bad, on the way to the hospital, I was telling my husband to tell the Kids I loved them, because I honestly thought I was dying. It was horrible horrible. And I am not someone prone to heading to the hospital. 

When my gallbladder was removed, I had a hernia repaired also. This was before my RNY. After RNY I am experiencing no issues, none. No seizures, I have not had a single bad thing other than having to take stool softeners from my surgery. (Knock on wood!!) However, I would really look into your gallbladder being removed. That was something that my surgeon talked with his patients about, and it was something that i had removed due to my issues with reflux. 

I would say however, that the percentage of bad things happening to people is minimal, and the thing you are going through is something that is happening right now. Bad things happen all of the time, there is no guarantee in life, and everyone is different, however, if you are in pain, do something about it, Don't let your fear of what could be, prevent you from doing something that should be done. 

I had my RNY gastric bypass several years ago and no problems since - except that I had to buy all new clothes since I lost all of my excess weight. :D

Cheesehead, Trish1967 and Jen581791 like this

I'm 4 1/2 years out.  I've had no complications.  I'm healthier than I've ever been.  I had constipation for the first 3 years but no problems now.  Good luck.  Seems what you are dealing with is not good..hopefully things work out..

Trish1967 likes this

RNY was a good option for me as I had GERD. But the draw back is I can not take anti-inflammatories and as a pain patient I wish I could.   I like being sensitive to sugars as it keeps me on the right path. RNY has been a good surgery for me and I still have good restriction. Best wishes on your decision.

Trish1967 likes this