Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself. I'll be having the bypass surgery in a couple of weeks. Am quite nervous as it's a band reversal too, I did lose some weight with the band but it never really worked for me either too loose or 0.5 later couldn't hold water down. This is my last chance saloon and am nervous but hopeful. Anyway this is me, hi :)

Welcome! There's lots of information and support here.

Welcome! As Carina said, so many supportive people here to talk with. Don't hesitate to ask questions :) 

Welcome!

Welcome!  We are here to support and inform you. :)

Welcome to Thinner Times Squishee!

Thank you all, really interesting reading the stories here. Am currently on my liver reduction diet and trying my best to stick to it. Less than 2 weeks to go eeekkkk!!!

Squishee - it's important that you stick to your pre-op diet.  If you don't, you run the risk of your liver still being too large/fatty for your surgeon to proceed with your WLS and I can think of nothing worse than waking up from surgery only to find that they were unable to continue with your RNY.

I don't share this to scare you but we've had more than one member who openly admitted that they weren't as diligent with their pre-op diet as they should have been and their surgeon had to abort their WLS.  And one, (mistymee) who admitted to not following her pre-op diet and her liver cracked during surgery.  As a consequence, she was in surgery for 6 hours instead of 2 to 3, in hospital for 5 days and in significant pain for several weeks and had couldn't return to work for 8 weeks. 

ETA:  The liver has to be moved out of the way during bariatric surgery. 

Hi Squishee! welcome to TT. You're almost there! Have a look around and ask any questions you have, we're here to help!

5 hours ago, cinwa said:

Squishee - it's important that you stick to your pre-op diet.  If you don't, you run the risk of your liver still being too large/fatty for your surgeon to proceed with your WLS and I can think of nothing worse than waking up from surgery only to find that they were unable to continue with your RNY.

I don't share this to scare you but we've had more than one member who openly admitted that they weren't as diligent with their pre-op diet as they should have been and their surgeon had to abort their WLS.  And one, (mistymee) who admitted to not following her pre-op diet and her liver cracked during surgery.  As a consequence, she was in surgery for 6 hours instead of 2 to 3, in hospital for 5 days and in significant pain for several weeks and had couldn't return to work for 8 weeks. 

ETA:  The liver has to be moved out of the way during bariatric surgery. 

Yikes! Ok you've put the fear of God in to me now! :( What I meant was I got v confusing advice from my dietician who openly admitted that there were things in her diet handout that were wrong. There is a big list of verboten vegetables but for example tomatoes were allowed on the list but then she said only 5 cherry tomatoes per day. As I say I am doing my very best to stick to the letter of the law, the only thing I am guilty of is combining meals. I've never been much of a breakfaster so at lunch I have the breakfast and lunch allowance combined. I must be doing something right as I've lost 10lbs in a week. What do you think??

I didn't mean to scare you Squishee - just give you a gentle prod to follow the instructions you were given and highlight the reasons why.

Provided you're sticking to the plan you were given, I can't see that it makes much difference whether you combine your breakfast and lunch food allowance.  

Something that will help you is to have a walk every day between now and when you have your surgery.  The better shape you're in before surgery, the easier you'll find your recovery.  And yes, even 10 days of walking beforehand is worth the effort.

Hi Squishee, if you have lost 10 lbs. in a week then you are surely going in the right direction. Just need to stay on the straight and narrow for another 10 days before surgery. Keep it up!

Your diet may be putting you into a fat-burning mode (that will help clear the fat out of the liver that has enlarged it). Emphasizing protein intake over carbohydrates helps put you into that mode. If you are on a low-carbohydrate diet, like < 50 grams of carbohydrates a day, most people enter into this fat-burning mode after 2-4 days. This is actually the goal of the first part of the Atkins diet or the Paleo diet, with their very low intake (again, < 50 grams a day) of carbohydrates. Technically this is called ketosis and there is a nice explanation on Wikipedia if you like. When you are in ketosis, the body preferentially goes to your fat stores for its energy. Anyhow, there actually are a number of scientific studies showing that the high-protein, low-carbohydrate approach reduces liver fats. 

(Ketosis is not the same as ketoacidosis, which is suffered by diabetics with out-of-control disease. They sound similar but are not. High protein, low carbohydrate diets were in fact used as the mainstay of treatment for diabetes in the past).

As Cinwa suggests, the walking both strengthens up your abdominal muscles - so faster recovery, less chance of a hernia - and incrementally bumps up your metabolism - incrementally helping the weight loss. The scientific literature has a lot of information showing that even modest exercise has big big positive effects. My surgeon has us up and walking about the same day of our (laparascopic) surgery. 

Keep us up to date on your progress!