Vaultgirl72

Looking for a buddy in the Eastern time zone

18 posts in this topic

Hello! I am looking for a TT Buddy for my up coming surgery scheduled for June 9th. I'm in NC and would love to find a buddy in the same time zone. Makes it easy for chatting and I don't have to figure out what time it is when I'm post-op!

Hi @Vaultgirl72! I'm in NJ and would love to have a buddy in my time zone too. I've commented on a few of your posts following your prep for surgery part 1 & 2. How is prep part 3 going? I only recently started my 2 week restricted pre-surgery diet.

Hey @CurvyMermaid :) How's your diet going so far? I think it would be great to be buddies. This journey has been full of challenges and now twists I never expected.  Since my last attempt at surgery I've been focused more on getting well than food. I've stuck to the diet but I've struggled with the pain from the failed intubation and the muscle soreness that I am guessing came from that ordeal. Just today I'm starting to feel better although my voice still sounds like it's full of gravel. 

So far so good but at Day 2, I think I am still riding a carb high. ;) A failed intubation is no joke as I am sure the nurses on TT can attest. Does drinking warm tea help? Do they tell you much about healing rate?

I know what you mean about feeling like you are on the coattails of a carb high. I had that feeling too. I just upped my water intake and practiced sipping once it went away.

I drank a lot of broth and warm tea the first couple days. It did help a lot. Today I'm feeling more like myself again and my jaw is not as stiff as it was. I must admit to feeling a little down about this past attempt. I'm working hard to stay positive, but boy it is so hard sometimes! I have my meal plan on the fridge and am sticking to it as best I can. My problem is that when I feel this down about something it is hard to eat. In lieu of solid food I find myself having a shake to maintain. I need to work through this and fast!

I'm so glad you are feeling better. Totally makes sense to be a bit down considering you've been in a holding pattern for so long. And especially having kids, its hard to be creative with ways to mix up your meal plan. I'm a firm believer in letting yourself feel sad/angry/irritated with a situation if those are the emotions you are experiencing. Allow yourself to feel them but then set yourself a mental timer so that you don't wallow in them and can move forward, rather than backwards. It might not work for everyone but it works for me! 

Regarding food, if you added some new seasonings and flavors to food that has become tasteless, would that help? Raid your pantry and see what might jazz things up!

The reasons you are doing the surgery are still there - try making a list. Decreased comorbidities, more energy- yes, but how about fitting into movie theater seats without 'spillover', not getting super sweaty walking from your car into work on a warm day, fitting into goal clothes/smaller sizes.

Your new surgery date is set or do you need to go back for an eval first? Feel free to message me off this thread if that's easier.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I have added some mint to my shakes and that did make a difference in the past couple days. May have to make a trip to the spice shop and see what goodies they have there. I did make a mock lasagna with yellow squash, string cheese, yogurt and sauce with big mushrooms in it. It's been a nice change from plain chicken and steamed veggies. I've been craving bread and I know I can't have any so the lasagna has helped with that.  

I do limit how long I allow myself to feel down. It sneaks up on me sometimes and then I start going over why I'm going through all this and the benefits that will be on the other side of it. Typing it out and letting how I feel be outside of my mind has really helped and kind of vents the frustration. Got to admit, the holding pattern is probably one of the hardest parts. I'm not the best at waiting. My surgery date is set for June 22nd in the morning. Going through the intubation while semi-awake has me slightly concerned but if that's what it takes then I will do it!

Gretta and CurvyMermaid like this

This is the week! Third time is a charm! You're body (mostly that poor throat) has hopefully healed well and now you'll be ready to ace it! How are you feeling?

Vaultgirl72 likes this

Hey! I'm feeling 100% better. Throat is all healed up and I have more energy. Got back on track with the pre-op diet and am eating 3 meals now instead of 2. I'm feeling optimistic about Friday. How are you doing? How's your pre-op diet going?

Gretta likes this

I'm glad to hear it! The hardest part of the pre-op diet is when I am in 'graze mode' on weekends and when I get home after a long day at work. So far, so good though and I have one more week left.  I've been using MyFitnessPal to track my food intake and I'm finding it pretty easy to use.  I've never used an app to track food and its been really eye opening on portions/calories and how quickly my allotment of 600-800 calories goes!  I am really starting to resent these chewable vitamins and supplements, taking up 30 of those precious calories! :P

Since you are a pre-op expert, what is on your checklist to do at home before you head to the hospital?  Not the packing for the trip part, but what do you do to make sure coming home from the hospital is as stress-free as possible?

To keep things as stress free as possible I have gone into what I call "Nesting Mode".  Dishes done, vacuuming, laundry, cat box cleaned, clear liquids/full liquids bought and ready, kids at Grandma's house and that sort of thing. Just having things caught up and then I have a few days where I don't have to do them. That's key I think.

I should really check out this MyFitnessPal app. I keep track of things on paper (because I'm old school like that), I enjoy checking off what I've eaten as I go through the day. Grazing is a tough habit to break. I am a grazer myself and the only way I keep from doing it is to have all my meals planned out in advance. I do up to a week at a time. If it's not on the sheet, I don't eat it. Seems to help!  

@Vaultgirl72 and @CurvyMermaid

Good luck as you gear up for your surgeries. Not much longer!

Vaultgirl72 and CurvyMermaid like this

Thanks BB! 

@Vaultgirl72 I am in nesting mode then! Although my surgery is one week from today so I have one more weekend. And in my head, I can accomplish miracles in a weekend! I am a one woman show at work with a few assistants so I am also trying to get as much of the heavy lifting done before surgery so I can coast for a few days for recovery. At some point I'll have to accept that work is going to stall a few days until I can get back in.

As a fellow list maker I understand your enjoyment at checking things off a list. You can't really do that in MyFitnessPal, but as you add each item you see an immediate tally of your calories, your protein, your carbs, which I find satisfying. Give it a go if you have the inclination! It's been working well for me so far.

Vaultgirl72 likes this

On 6/21/2017 at 6:12 AM, CurvyMermaid said:

Thanks BB! 

@Vaultgirl72 I am in nesting mode then! Although my surgery is one week from today so I have one more weekend. And in my head, I can accomplish miracles in a weekend! I am a one woman show at work with a few assistants so I am also trying to get as much of the heavy lifting done before surgery so I can coast for a few days for recovery. At some point I'll have to accept that work is going to stall a few days until I can get back in.

As a fellow list maker I understand your enjoyment at checking things off a list. You can't really do that in MyFitnessPal, but as you add each item you see an immediate tally of your calories, your protein, your carbs, which I find satisfying. Give it a go if you have the inclination! It's been working well for me so far.

You are still a go for the 28th? You aren't delayed like @Vaultgirl72 are you??

Yes @BurgundyBoy, still a go for me Wed and hopefully a go for @Vaultgirl72 today! 

Vaultgirl72 likes this

Um, does this mean 4th time is the charm for @Vaultgirl72 if we count her delay? I may not have enough fingers to count this high....

1 hour ago, CurvyMermaid said:

Yes @BurgundyBoy, still a go for me Wed and hopefully a go for @Vaultgirl72 today! 

Great. 

On 5/6/2017 at 6:51 PM, Vaultgirl72 said:

Hello! I am looking for a TT Buddy for my up coming surgery scheduled for June 9th. I'm in NC and would love to find a buddy in the same time zone. Makes it easy for chatting and I don't have to figure out what time it is when I'm post-op!

Hi @Vaultgirl72 While I am not in (sunny) NC, I am in (not-so-sunny) Ohio and am also on EST. I had my bypass on June 20th, so not too far off from you. If you are looking for additional buddies, please do let me know. "The more, the merrier" I believe. :)

Res Ipsa and Vaultgirl72 like this